777 Crash and Fire at SFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by obmot View Post
    This picture from the article "The latest photos" on cnn.com (its about photo #23 or so) might be (??) the elusive left engine?

EDIT: tried to attach better image
    Looks like it.

Comment

An Aviation Herald schematic indicates a landing strut in the water. If so the aircraft must have been really low (and perhaps not at an unusually high pitch angle).

Comment

Photo posted on twitter showing an extremely high AoA

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
          The first units to respond will be those at the airport, but if additional help is needed, then yes, they'd call in units from the city proper. No airport has the emergency personnel to handle 300+ casualties and will require additional boots on the ground.
          Let me guarantee, that every single person that has written a letter in this thread hopes, that there will be no 300+ casualties at SF Bay Intl!

I was born just a few months after this horrifying accident took place:

...and, to show that horror accidents also take place on ordinary highways, just a few months after I was born:
          Los Alfaques.

583 dead bodies within just one single day at Los Rodeos... So, can we ask someone of the Los Rodeos fire department, are there jp members?
          Or, very much easier, let us ask Brian. Brian, whom would you call in such a case?

PS: I remember a German TV film about Los Alfaques, imagine a relatively small hall where 60 dead bodies wait for identification. And then, imagine 3 other halls of that size. You don't want to be someone who's duty is identification...
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2013-07-07, 05:49. Reason: heavy accidents can take place everywhere.
          The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
            the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Just looking at the flight info on flightaware, the airspeed around 300ft seems too low. I am wondering if it was in a stall around that height.

11:2637.5900-122.3070297°West1691941,400-1,380 FlightAware
              11:2737.5988-122.3270299°West145167800-1,380 FlightAware
              11:2737.6016-122.3340297°West141162600-1,320 FlightAware
              11:2737.6045-122.3410298°West134154400-900 FlightAware
              11:2737.6073-122.3480297°West123142300-840 FlightAware
              11:2737.6103-122.3550298°West109125100-120 FlightAware
              11:2837.6170-122.3740294°West8598200120 FlightAware

Comment

Interesting CNN article on the survivability aspects of this one.

Asiana Airlines flight 214 had over 300 people onboard. Why were there so few fatalities?

I still find that image of passengers seemingly calmly walking away from the crash towing luggage surreal and disturbing.

Comment

Link below to an interesting animation of the crash on CNN:

An animation based on eyewitness accounts re-creates the dramatic crash landing of the Asiana 777.

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                    Class action lawsuit in the making...!
                    The chasers rolled at the same time as the ambulances. You can make book that there will be competing suits filed (if they haven't been already)

Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by Graham2001 View Post
                      I still find that image of passengers seemingly calmly walking away from the crash towing luggage surreal and disturbing.
                      I'd be surprised if shock wasn't in play (at least in part)

Arrow

Comment

Position of engine #2 would suggest it was operating with significant thrust - no fuel problems (at least with this engine)?

Right hand wing tip collapsed - ground strike maybe?

K.

Comment

I'm Disturbed Too

Originally posted by Graham2001 View Post
                          Interesting CNN article on the survivability aspects of this one.

Asiana Airlines flight 214 had over 300 people onboard. Why were there so few fatalities?

Yes, very disturbing Mr Graham2001, thank you for pointing this luggage thing out. My understanding, psychologically speaking, is that after a big fright, a big shock, some of us will seek or indeed, crave, a return to normality, a reassurance that everything is all right. For example, a woman surviving a car crash might start fiddling with her hair or even her makeup immediately afterwards. Similarly, you might instinctively and compulsively grab a suitcase after surviving an air crash even though all airlines warn passengers to leave immediately when instructed by cabin staff, to not stop to pick up a bag. Nevertheless, in a state of shock and terror, I might (erroneously) decide not to leave a symbol of comfort and normality behind in the wreckage.

Comment

Stall?

Originally posted by saupatel View Post
                            Just looking at the flight info on flightaware, the airspeed around 300ft seems too low. I am wondering if it was in a stall around that height.

11:2637.5900-122.3070297°West1691941,400-1,380 FlightAware
                            11:2737.5988-122.3270299°West145167800-1,380 FlightAware
                            11:2737.6016-122.3340297°West141162600-1,320 FlightAware
                            11:2737.6045-122.3410298°West134154400-900 FlightAware
                            11:2737.6073-122.3480297°West123142300-840 FlightAware
                            11:2737.6103-122.3550298°West109125100-120 FlightAware
                            11:2837.6170-122.3740294°West8598200120 FlightAware
                            Hello Mr Patel,

I'm no pilot but the technicalities of flight seem very interesting. Unfortunately I am uncertain as to what all the numbers in the table refer to. Can you explain for the layman, please? Also, what speed would one reasonably expect on a full passenger/part fuel load 200ER at 300 feet approaching runway, please?

Comment

Originally posted by kris View Post
                              Position of engine #2 would suggest it was operating with significant thrust - no fuel problems (at least with this engine)?
                              Can you expand? Position of #2 is very close to where it would be if there had been no detachment. It could have been dragged by the wing and fuselage to that position.
                              Right hand wing tip collapsed - ground strike maybe?
                              That's what I thought too. That the main scar marks and debris trail is on the left of the runway centerline could mean that the airplane was not aligned with the centerline or that the scar marks and main debris are from the right side of the plane.

And the right side of the plane exhibits more damage.

So it very well could be that it hit with a right bank.

This would be consistent (not a proof of) a stall, since the lateral stability and contollability are seriously compromised in a stall.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Jingogunner View Post
                                Hello Mr Patel,

I'm no pilot but the technicalities of flight seem very interesting. Unfortunately I am uncertain as to what all the numbers in the table refer to. Can you explain for the layman, please? Also, what speed would one reasonably expect on a full passenger/part fuel load 200ER at 300 feet approaching runway, please?
                                I am guessing that it's:
                                Geographic crooordinates - - ground track (direction) - grounspeed - airspeed - altitude - vertical speed.

Typical approach speed can be in the order of 150kts. Typical stall speed would be in the order of 110kts.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                                X