What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

So I always take my camera with me to work. I went to upload my pictures from the last two trips and there's one on here that I dont remember taking and its blurry as hell. I'm not entirely sure where I took this, but I think it was either on the way back from Freeport or on the way to Atlanta. I'm trying to figure out what kind of plane it is, but I'm drawing an absolute blank, any help would be appreciated!

Sorry for the really really poor quality. Any time you shoot anything below you in the RJ, it gets blurry because of the angle you are shooting at through the windshield.

For those who are interested, other pictures can be found http://www.flickr.com/photos/jriegel/

I have no idea how big that thing is, but I am going to throw my hat into the ring and guess it's a C-2 Greyhound.

Comment

thought so as well, but the engines look too far from the fuselage and the span might be a tad bit wide for a Greyhound

Comment

Originally posted by thxcollins
        thought so as well, but the engines look too far from the fuselage and the span might be a tad bit wide for a Greyhound
        True, but it can't be a Short 330 because of the same reason. The fuselage looks quite narrow. Is it possible that the vertical stab. on this guy might be obscured by the background?

Comment

Is it possible the things on the wings that we are seeing as engines are in fact part of the V-stab and we are in fact looking at a glider?

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
            Is it possible the things on the wings that we are seeing as engines are in fact part of the V-stab and we are in fact looking at a glider?
            I dont think so as I never get the camera out unless I'm up high....there are some cases of gliders getting pretty far up there, but not usually.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric-Jet
              although I'm sure its not this plane (UAV) it kinda looks like it

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

Wow, Electric Jet good job search. I believe that I bet that's one.

I tried to find it but no luck. I was thinking that possible glider or military secret plane practice flying. I am not good with military any type of aircraft.

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Big777jet
                Wow, Electric Jet good job search. I believe that I bet that's one.

I tried to find it but no luck. I was thinking that possible glider or military secret plane practice flying. I am not good with military any type of aircraft.

Stuart
                Concur with Big777, this is a very persuasive effort from Electric Jet. It would make it, depending on actual size of aircraft a Heron (prop, 16.6 m wingspan) or Heron II (turboprop, 26 m wingspan). Similar planform, but different sizes. If this is the correct interpretation, it looks like someone is taking it out for a test drive. A number of organizations in the US who like to do surveillance come to mind.

More here:
                Terry
                Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
                How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Its deffinatley not a UAV, could be a fire rescue plane (the ones that drop foam out of the bottom). Or even a sea plane. Something alone those lines.
                  There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth. — Richard Gordon

Comment

I don't have a clue as to the aircraft's identity however you've got some very nice photo's posted.

Thanks for the link.
                    Don
                    Standard practice for managers around the world:
                    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by QFCPT747
                      Its deffinatley not a UAV, could be a fire rescue plane (the ones that drop foam out of the bottom). Or even a sea plane. Something alone those lines.
                      What makes you come to that conclusion?

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore
                        I don't have a clue as to the aircraft's identity however you've got some very nice photo's posted.

Thanks for the link.
                        Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by QFCPT747
                          Its deffinatley not a UAV
                          How on earth did you deduce that?

Says it has a ceiling of FL400+, so it's plausible. The nose and the cross section of the fuselage don't look exactly right, thought.
                          It looks like, from Joe's photo, that the aircraft in question has flight deck windows?

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                            So I always take my camera with me to work. I went to upload my pictures from the last two trips and there's one on here that I dont remember taking and its blurry as hell. I'm not entirely sure where I took this, but I think it was either on the way back from Freeport or on the way to Atlanta. I'm trying to figure out what kind of plane it is, but I'm drawing an absolute blank, any help would be appreciated!

Sorry for the really really poor quality. Any time you shoot anything below you in the RJ, it gets blurry because of the angle you are shooting at through the windshield.

For those who are interested, other pictures can be found http://www.flickr.com/photos/jriegel/
                            Damn, someone needs to buy u a headset for your next b-day.

Comment

Working...
                            X