Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could United Airlines start a flight from Denver to Heathrow

Hi,

Just wondering if you guys think that United Airlines could start a flight from Denver to London Heathrow, now that the open skies agreement has been settled. Denver is the fifth busiest airport in the country and the 10th busiest in the world. Despite its large pasenger volumes, Denver (KDEN) onl y has 3 trans-atlantic flights: Lufthansa flights 480/481 (DEN-Munich), Lufthansa flights 446/447 (DEN-FRA) and BA 218/219 (DEN-LHR). Denver is one of United's largest hubs and UA has shown interest in a Denver-Tokoyo and Denver-Frankfurt flights, but these never materialized. Currently the airline is expanding its international operations and has been seriously considering a Denver-Heathrow flight operated with a Boeing 777, should everything go through the flight would likely start in the summer of 2008.

What do you guys think: Is a daily UA flight on a Boeing 777 from DEN-LHR possible or worthwhile for UA?

As a United Express employee we have heard nothing asbout this. Most of the international expansion that we have heard about is based out of LAX... I would not hold my breath for Denver. I do not think United even think there is a customs station within the massive terminal B. I know Canadian flights clear customs both ways in Canada. It would involve some serious money for United as they are trying to keep their flights consolidated within terminal B in Denver. They would have to build some additional facilities.

On top of that there is not really that many Long Haulers available to fly it. Tilton just annouced a multi Billion dollar plan to upgrade facilities at United so you never know. I know he did not mention Denver specifically from what I read but it could happen. I just do not see a need for it as London is already well covered between O'hare and Dulles.

I know on our side of things we have recieved news about expansions out of LAX and SFO.
    O'Hare - The Aviation God's greatest creation, or their greatest mistake? you be the judge!

Comment

Hi,

I wouldn't say that a UA flight from DEN-LHR is impossible because of the airline's huge presence in Denver and the overwhelming success of British Airways on their route. If this flight came into existance it would likely take-off from Concourse A, which has a direct connection to the customs area. Remember, LH starting a flight from Denver to Munich was a big surprise because there wasn't a lot of hype. There's definately been more hype about UA DEN-LHR flight, so I think that it's very possible that it could happen.

Rohan

Comment

Hi,

As a United Express employee we have heard nothing asbout this. Most of the international expansion that we have heard about is based out of LAX... I would not hold my breath for Denver
        Well, it looks as though I should have held my breath for Denver because UA is starting one from Denver to LHR.

Here's the deatails
        http://www.united.com/press/detail/0,6862,58612,00.html

UA 948: DEN-LHR
        Depart 6:55pm. Arrive: 10:50am next day
        UA 939: LHR-DEN
        Depart: 1:05pm. Arrive 4:14pm.

Aircraft Boeing 777-200ER

Most likely United will use the Concourse A gates because those are the closest the customs area at KDEN.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Working...
        X