Could JetBlue make it at LGW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could JetBlue make it at LGW?

Theoretically, could JetBlue make a profit on JFK-LGW, or BOS-LGW on their new A321s (which are very well equipped with a 'coach' cabin that rivals that of a normal A320 cabin, and the added bonus of a 'business' cabin that includes some 'sleeper' suites? Surely loads might not be as high as on a widebody, but imagine being able to pull from your existing clientelle, and using an aircraft that you would otherwise just put back into thr fleet of transcontinental services).

If not (due to range or range\loads issues), could they not easily convert current A321s in order to the A321LR variant and then do it?

Apart from LGW, I completely forgot about Ireland. Imagine that market!

So, what do you think? Can they make it at LGW? Can they make it on any other transatlantic routes? Do they need bigger aircraft? Do they need to codeshare with local partners?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
    Theoretically, could JetBlue make a profit on JFK-LGW, or BOS-LGW on their new A321s...
    Theoretically, a lot of things could happen...

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
      Theoretically, a lot of things could happen...
      Haha, thank you, jerk!

Comment

I believe it could, as long as the type operating the route was the A321 with the sharklets, or if they put them on the A320 then that too. I researched if an A320 sharklets could make it from Paris to Toronto (was considering getting an AF A320 for my 1/400 scale airport) and while it could make it this far inland, it would need to stop somewhere on the coast at least on the inbound toronto flight.

All that aside, Jet Blue could make it to LGW from JFK. Westjet flies the 737-700 from St. John's to Dublin, and next summer they will be doing Halifax to Glasgow (which is somewhat closer to JFK-LGW)

So I would say yes, again, as long as they use the sharkletted version.
        I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

If not (due to range or range\loads issues), could they not easily convert current A321s in order to the A321LR variant and then do it?
          IMO this is a realistic scenario. The A321LR could open up new opportunities and could ensure that such flights can be operated with full payload year-round.

Regards
          http://www.MD-80.com / MD-80.com on facebook https://www.facebook.com/MD80com / MD-80.com on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MD80com

Comment

Originally posted by IberiaMD-87 View Post
            IMO this is a realistic scenario. The A321LR could open up new opportunities and could ensure that such flights can be operated with full payload year-round.

Regards
            That was my thought exactly, with the range, and load specifications, it could open up quite some traffic on the trans-atlantic routes, and to carriers that otherwise would not have been previously capable (or, perhaps logical) to carriers on both sides of the pond that have been locked out by not being 'legacy' carriers.

Comment

I am not sure JetBlue would survive that kind of market though. I mean, there used to be tons of low cost trans atlantic carriers based on both sides and now I can only think of a small handful.
              I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

Originally posted by porter guy View Post
                I am not sure JetBlue would survive that kind of market though. I mean, there used to be tons of low cost Transatlantic carriers based on both sides and now I can only think of a small handful.
                I guess that we haven't had one in a while (save for the current Norwegian), and so I cannot even remember some of the past, that have failed. That said, none of them had the domestic network of JetBlue. Hell, even some of their American competitors wish that they had a JetBlue-esque network, with the customer base that they possess. Honestly, I can see them funneling enough traffic from their network to make it happen.

They could easily increase capacity as well, and take on a A330 for some of their International/Long-Haul aspirations, but this is a great move (with the A321s) as they are already operational, and can easily be re-introduced to regular service easily.

Comment

and clearly there is no shortage of desperate pax who are willing to subject themselves to 6-8 hours of absolute torture to save $8.00.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                    Haha, thank you, jerk!
                    You're welcome. I'm always glad to help, especially when the question is hypothetical, theoretical, and cannot be answered as asked.

Comment

Working...
                    X