Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

United Airlines emergency landing: Live updates as passenger plane returns to Heathro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Airlines emergency landing: Live updates as passenger plane returns to Heathro

United Airlines emergency landing: Live updates as passenger plane returns to Heathrow after circling English Channel.

The Boeing 767-400, with 226 passengers on board and a crew of 13, was on its way to New York when it was forced to divert.

Plane has landed safely at Heathrow Airport.

Plane has landed safely at Heathrow Airport.

Comment

apparently had to circle for 3.5 hours to burn fuel...can a 767 not dump fuel??

Comment

Hmmm...interesting. The 767-400 is the only 767 variant that definitely has a dump facility. Early versions of the -200 and -300 did not have dump capability production fitted but it could be ordered as an extra feature or retro-fitted.
        I took a look at PPrune where the professionals hang out and it seems that although the -400 has a dump system it cannot dump to below max landing weight so a degree of burn off has to take place.
        The flight concerned here was probably no more than 10 to 15 minutes into it's journey and still fairly low so it would not have been far off its max weight.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks for the answer Brian....I'm not so scared of flying any more but I would have cacked it if I'd been going in circles for nearly four hours.

I'd like to know what the problem was.

Ab

Comment

And the details of interest are...???
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              And the details of interest are...???
              Good question. It squawked 7700 and flew an extended holding pattern at around 12,000 feet for a few hours due to a "maintenance problem" and then landed safely back at Heathrow. I'll put a tentative guess on pressurisation problems.

Comment

Mu guess would be something went NFG(Not Functioning Good).

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                  I'll put a tentative guess on pressurisation problems.
                  We have a winner!!!

A United Boeing 767-400, registration N59053 performing flight UA-28 from London Heathrow,EN (UK) to Newark,NJ (USA) with 227 passengers and 13 crew, was climbing out of London Heathrow when the crew stopped the climb at FL100 due to the cabin not pressurizing. The aircraft entered a hold to troubleshoot, then burn off and dump fuel before returning to Heathrow for a safe landing on runway 27L about 4:45 hours after departure.
                  More here:
                  Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Edit: 4:45 hours to burn fuel even after dump? Where they burning fuel at max endurance speed or what?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                    We have a winner!!!
                    Ho Hum ! Not bad for an 18hr Piper Cherokee driver

The biggest clue was the fact that they stopped their climb at circa 10,000 feet instead of continuing the flight to Newark. I would imagine that, other than engine failure or airframe damage, they would have continued the flight ?

Comment

Working...
                    X