Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    How old are you? Resume of the flight? Is someone looking for a job?
    OK. Résumé of the flight. Better?
    They do have a more extensive background than you or I. So if you wish to dish it then please share your reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainsys View Post
      OK. Résumé of the flight. Better?
      They do have a more extensive background than you or I. So if you wish to dish it then please share your reasons.

The accent marks did not make the difference. I suggest you go back and look at some of the earlier posts. I will be glad to send you my personal qualifications via PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
        The accent marks did not make the difference. I suggest you go back and look at some of the earlier posts. I will be glad to send you my personal qualifications via PM.
        I'm sorry I didn't realise you had a problem with English. An Oxford Dictionary might help you. Résumé = summary, epitome, abstract.
        Now we have that out of the way any chance of a constructive answer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
          If you read what I wrote and you just reposted there you would realize that I don't believe that stuff unless the Malaysians are still giving us bogus information about the radar target(s) they tracked.

At this point what I most suspect is a botched hijacking, possibly by the F/O, with insane motive and that the a/c is currently at the bottom of the Indian Ocean where it will never be found.

Go back and read my post #517 on the 13th

Comment

• Excellent timeline summary

Originally posted by D.S. on the PPRuNe Forums

What we know* timeline
            (*or at least have a separate "unidentified official" verification on from a reputable source)

- 1:07 - ACARS last transmission (thru VHF) which apparently includes notation of a WP change having been entered into system since last scheduled report at 12:37
            - 1:11 - INMARSAT ping would have been received, as apparently Boeing's AHM report attempted to automatically transmit (thru Satellite)
            - 1:19 - 'Alright, Good Night' at handover (supposedly by co-pilot)
            - 1:22 - Transmitter goes off
            (note: those previous two might be reversed, we have multiple sources seemingly confirming both possibilities. One happened at 1:19, one at 1:22 though. I'm putting them in this order mainly because...)
            - 1:22 - Plane goes out of range/black from Thailand Radar (likely from the transponder going black and not the plane going out of range)
            - 1:28 - Unidentified plane shows up on Thailand Radar roughly off the Kota Bharu, Malaysia coast (at Malaysia/Thailand border) and this apparently shows plane crossing the Peninsula to the Straights of Malacca (unknown endtime for this path)
            - somewhere between 1:15-1:30 - Vietnam sees plane turn around. From roughly 1:30-forward, Vietnam is "frantically" trying to contact the plane
            (note: they have not told us a specific time of turn or if they know this because of a Military or ATC radar hit, but they told Malaysia they 'watched plane turn around' sometime shortly after contact was lost)
            - 1:37 - ACARS misses scheduled transmission
            - 1:30-1:45 - at minimum 11 eye witness reports from around and past the Kota Bharu, Malaysia/Thailand border areas (including one saying 'plane descending fast' like one of the later radar hits indicates)
            - 2:11 - INMARSAT ping would have been received, as apparently Boeing's AHM report attempted to automatically transmit (thru Satellite)
            - between 1:30-2:40 - Malaysian Military and Civilian radar picks up an "unidentified" plane flying over peninsula (Daud says "this was corroborated by civilian radar" in the march 9th press conferences). Those include a couple radar hits we have specifically been told about* (and who knows how many that haven't been provided/leaked):
            ... VAMPI
            ... GIVAL
            ... IGREX
            (note: we are not sure of the timing of the radar hits, and there is very contradictory evidence here. The most recent seemingly-official time is 2:15 for the last hit. Which hit that was, we don't know for sure)
            post 2:15/or/2:40 apparent absolute complete blackout of plane (except...)
            - 3:11 - INMARSAT ping received, as apparently Boeing's AHM report attempted to automatically transmit (thru Satellite)
            - 4:11 - INMARSAT ping received, as apparently Boeing's AHM report attempted to automatically transmit (thru Satellite)
            - 5:11 - INMARSAT ping received, as apparently Boeing's AHM report attempted to automatically transmit (thru Satellite)
            - 6:11 - INMARSAT ping received, as apparently Boeing's AHM report attempted to automatically transmit (thru Satellite)
            - 7:11 - INMARSAT ping received, as apparently Boeing's AHM report attempted to automatically transmit (thru Satellite) near 40 Degree line
            - 7:24 - Statement released by Malaysian Officials saying contact lost at 2:40 and SAR efforts are underway
            - 8:11 - INMARSAT ping received, as apparently Boeing's AHM report attempted to automatically transmit (thru Satellite) (thru Satellite) on 40 Degree line

*those way-points on map

(Note on map: the Thailand radar data, as we understand it, indicates a straight path from IGARI to VAMPI is not possible, so there are more unknown/unreleased turns in there somewhere)

Anyone have any other times to add and/or corrections? Would like to keep this as updated and accurate as possible for all, and any input is welcome! (just, want to keep it to things cross verified, so please keep that in mind if suggesting other times - that is why things like the possible post-1:30 JapanBoundFlight/MH88 call is not included here)
            AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
            the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• So we have not just the last one but the last two pings near/on a 40° line?

And the last ping was 8:11.
              What time was engine startup and how much fuel at most could the plane have had by last ping?

"Last two pings in the same arc" is consistent* with "airplane on the gorund (and power on)".

*Consistent = both things are compatible, could have happened together, not that one proves the other.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• JB...great job. Thanks. That 7:11 bit.
                Gabriel...or floating?

Comment

• What does the 40 degree line refer to? Certainly not latitude or longitude.

Comment

• It is now being reported that the turn back towards Maylasia was programed in to the "autopilot" before the pilots left the Malaysia ATC. This update to the flight plan was sent via ACARS about 12 minutes before the sign-off.

Comment

• Seriously? A fire requires a transponder to be turned off? So did the plane that crashed off Halifax have an idle transponder?

To quote one article written on this very question:
                      In the case of the missing Malaysian plane, even pilots are a bit puzzled by somebody turning off the transponder.

John Gadzinski, a Boeing 737 captain, said that among fellow pilots “there is a raised eyebrow like Spock on ‘Star Trek’ – you just sit there and go, ‘why would anybody do that?”’

Comment

• Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
                        It is now being reported that the turn back towards Maylasia was programed in to the "autopilot" before the pilots left the Malaysia ATC. This update to the flight plan was sent via ACARS about 12 minutes before the sign-off.
                        Reported or rumoured?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                          Reported or rumoured?
                          The media says "reported" but I've been wondering how anyone could know that. How could anyone tell from the radar data that the aircraft was turning on autopilot rather than by manual control?

Comment

• Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                            Seriously? A fire requires a transponder to be turned off?
                            No one said that you turn off the transponder if there is a fire. What was said was, you turn off the transponder if is the source of the fire.

Comment

• Originally posted by B757300 View Post
                              The media says "reported" but I've been wondering how anyone could know that. How could anyone tell from the radar data that the aircraft was turning on autopilot rather than by manual control?
                              It's not the turning itself, it's the subsequent navigation via waypoints that suggest an FMS flight plan was guiding the a/c via autopilot. This "report" would suggest that this flight plan was predefined and sent from a co-conspirator and would be visible to both pilots before takeoff—which suggests a well-organized conspiracy involving both pilots—which is why I highly doubt this is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
                                What does the 40 degree line refer to? Certainly not latitude or longitude.
                                40 N latitude puts it right up at Kyrgyzstan

Comment

Working...
                                X