Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone been shooting in Dominican Republic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone been shooting in Dominican Republic?

Hi guys
    Has anyone done any shooting in the Dom. Rep.? i am there for a 2 week holiday in June and really want to do a couple of days visiting some of the airports/airfields. I have reservations about hiring a car, as i hear so many scare stories of the standard of roads/driving... any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

Originally posted by tartanpics View Post
    Hi guys
    Has anyone done any shooting in the Dom. Rep.? i am there for a 2 week holiday in June and really want to do a couple of days visiting some of the airports/airfields. I have reservations about hiring a car, as i hear so many scare stories of the standard of roads/driving... any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Standard of driving is horrendous. DO NOT RENT A MOTORCYCLE. The best way I know to guarantee death, get a Taxi. You mention Airports in plural so I'm guessing you are going to the southern Caribbean side in the area of Punta Cana. I can't help you there, I went to the north side of the island near Puerta Plata. There was a public viewing area on top of the terminal overlooking the taxiway leading to/from the runway but there has been some building work since I went there and I don't know if it is still open. If it is still there then it is only accessible from land side. My shots from 2007 will show you the view. I don't think it still there as there has been nothing new from that view since 2007/2008.
    I would not recommend walking around on your own with cameras in sight, especially not outside the airport around the perimeter. It's not safe.
    A word of warning re: your luggage. Don't put anything of value in it. I went there in 2007 and 2008 and both times had my hold baggage broken into and perfumes, deodorants and alcohol stolen.
    Dom Rep is a beautiful place. Go on some organised tours, use only taxis recommended by your resort. You can rent a car and driver for the day but like I say, make sure your tour operator recommends them.
    95 total images from Puerto Plata and 346 total from Punta Cana in the database tells the story really of how easy aviation photography is...or rather, isn't....in the Dom Rep. Personally, I'd stick with the rum, poolside, beaches and scenery. The scenery can be either vegetable or human !!

Talking of rum, there's a brand called Brugal 151. It's a 75.5% rocket fuel and is so strong that it is illegal to transport it on an aircraft as it's defined as being an explosive !!! My mate and I had a couple of medium size drinks of it and our legs wouldn't work for a while afterwards ! .....I'm not exaggerrating there either !

Oh yes, one other thing. If you do rent a car don't go to the "car wash". It's not your car that will get washed if you get my meaning !!
    Last edited by brianw999; 2014-05-20, 15:39.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Brian... tss tss tss to what Car wash did you go...???

Car Wash are THE place to go if you want to meet locals, just stay outside the dangerous areas, but seriously they are great places !!

This is a nice article about them, you just can't get more local !!

The Dominican Republic has bars and resorts aplenty, but the most authentic night out might include hot wax and a hand finish

Comment

I must admit that I didn't go into one. I took the joking word of the tour guide as we passed one. The way he described it he intimated that it was nothing more than a whorehouse. This was in 2007 and 2008.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
        X