No announcement yet.

US AIR Tweet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) - Just Witnessed US Accident at PHL [13 Mar 2014] - Sitting in the A-West lounge, just watched what I think was a US A319 bounce twice on takeoff from 27L, then have front gear collapse at high speed. Can't see where it stopped but smoke from the

Comment

This is the comment of a very nice, smart and handsome guy in AvHerald

I've seen direct witness comments out there, that were one inside and the other outside the plane. They all report that the plane was already airborne when it suddenly came down, bounced, got airborne again and came down again this second time hard on the nose gear, which then collapsed.

That's wired since the only reasons to abort after V1 (not to mention after Vr and after the actual lift-off) is "plane unable to fly", decision that would be based on that, since now we are going to crash anyway no matter what, better doing it while slowing down than while speeding up.

If it is true that the take-off was rejected well after V1, this will be a major thing: either gross pilot error or gross airplane malfunction.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

From flyertalk

According to Chris May via his twitter account.

“@chrismayCBS3: FAA: Pilot of US Airways 1702 aborted takeoff after noticing smoke coming from engine; nose gear collapsed after impacting runway.”

Interesting news. I wonder if the tire blew and sent shreds into the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Via Gabriel
          I've seen direct witness comments out there, that were one inside and the other outside the plane. They all report that the plane was already airborne when it suddenly came down, bounced, got airborne again and came down again this second time hard on the nose gear, which then collapsed.

That's wired since the only reasons to abort after V1 (not to mention after Vr and after the actual lift-off) is "plane unable to fly", decision that would be based on that, since now we are going to crash anyway no matter what, better doing it while slowing down than while speeding up.

If it is true that the take-off was rejected well after V1, this will be a major thing: either gross pilot error or more likely, an FBW Computer malfunction.
          Fixed.

(What's it doing now?)
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ram View Post
            From flyertalk
            According to Chris May via his twitter account.

“@chrismayCBS3: FAA: Pilot of US Airways 1702 aborted takeoff after noticing smoke coming from engine; nose gear collapsed after impacting runway.”

Interesting news. I wonder if the tire blew and sent shreds into the engine?
            Even more interesting - how did the pilot notice smoke coming from the engine? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pilots cannot see the engines from the front office...

Comment

Originally posted by jkstark View Post
              Even more interesting - how did the pilot notice smoke coming from the engine? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pilots cannot see the engines from the front office...

OK you are wrong!

Comment

All jokes aside, I'm surprised no one is taking this seriously, considering the initial reports the A320 was already nose-up and getting airborne, when they apparently tried to reject the takeoff and bounced on the runway a few times.
                Kidna suggestive of a rejected takeoff at Vr, and past V1 obviously.
                I'd be really impressed to hear how they detected a nose wheel puncture if it happened after the nose wheel left the ground.
                ADCR
                Tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit

Comment

No casualties? Another win!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyToop View Post
                    I'd be really impressed to hear how they detected a nose wheel puncture if it happened after the nose wheel left the ground.
                    What actually happened is a mystery for now. It really seems this wasn't just some blown tire incident.

There are some new witness accounts of the events on FlyerTalk by people who claim were passengers of the flight. They say the pilot warned of "severe turbulence" minutes before take-off.
                    Then they describe a very bumpy take off roll, something pushing them to one side, sharp and uneven accelerations, getting airborne and then "something pushing them back down" - a few times . Maybe that got the nosewheel strut to collapse.
                    There were apparently strong wind gusts at the airport.

Comment

That sounds like windshear.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                        That sounds like windshear.
                        Hmmm....

With no big, nasty, towering cumulus nor red radar returns?
                        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Could it be just very strong gusts, maybe with changing direction?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyToop View Post
                            There is a answer to this question - they should feel a very nasty vibration, right under them. Very possible for that to happen when the nose gets airborne.

Comment

Could it be just very strong gusts, maybe with changing direction?
                              Yes, that would be an alternative to wind shear.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                                With no big, nasty, towering cumulus nor red radar returns?
                                1) My comment was based on the description in the post immediately above mine. I have no firgging idea what the weather conditions were.

2) I've said windshear, no microburst.

Yes, that would be an alternative way to say wind shear.
                                Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X