A319 engine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A319 engine question

I was flying from ATL to ORD on a United A319- just after takeoff and during climb- the engines would acclerate-deacclerate-acclerate-deacclerate-acclerate...etc. One passenger looked like she was scared half-to death. Is this normal? A Plane probelm? Thanks!

Patrick

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
    October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

The airbus thrust control system works very differently from the Boeing/Normal system. The throttle has 4 "gates". Idle, CL, FLEX, TOGA for takeoff FLEX or TOGA is used and after takeoff the throttle is brought down to CL where it stays for the remainder of the flight until about 20 feet off the ground on landing when it is pulled back to idle. The pilots don't hneed to touch the thrust levers at all and the computer takes care of everything. What was happening on your flight was the computer was adjusting the thrust to keep whatever speed was selected by the pilots. If you have strong winds it might fluctuate a bit like the way you explained.

If you have FS2002/Fs2004 and want to learn more about the Airbus go to
    www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk and purcahse the Airbus Pro for Fs2002/Fs2004. Thats where i learned what I know about it from.

Comment

Wow what an advance system Airbus have. Never knew how extensive it really was.

Really takes alot of the flying away from the pilots' if you ask me.
      747 -> 777

"One small step for man. - > One giant leap for aviation."

Comment

Originally posted by 777-300ER
        It's just an autothrottle like you'd find on a Boeing or other commercial jets, it's works slightly different but it is the same principle and just as safe, at any time the pilot can select the A/T off and fly manually.

Comment

Originally posted by 777-300ER
          Wow what an advance system Airbus have. Never knew how extensive it really was.

system has been around in different forms since the early 60's. Do you really think the pilots are up front giving it "stick and rudder" all the time?

Comment

What I said was just a guess as to what might have been the "problem". If you wanted to know for sure you should have asked the pilots for they were the ones actually flying the aircraft and they understand everything about it. Most of what i know i learned from a simulation, so i was just guessing...

Heres a site if you want to know more abot the airbus systems in general. http://www.chipsplace.com/helpful/Ai...320TOC.htm#TOC

Comment

There are many times during the climbout when ATC will tell you to stop the climb at some point. If this is below 10,000, you will nose the airplane over to intercept that altitude, and then will be hauling power out of it quickly. Jets accelerate like a bat out of hell. Without aggressive power adjustments, you'll find yourself blowing through 250 kts before you can say "speeding ticket".

Just another possible reason for the thrust adjustments. Not to taking anything away from the previous posts.
              Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Sometimes there are noise abatement procedures that require certain climb adjustments to power. One that comes to mind that takes this very seriously is SNA. The crew sometimes inform this procedure to PAX because of its' odd throttle adjustments and climb gradient to "ease" their curiosity. There are noise sensors scattered all over the departure path at SNA so the airlines are in strict compliance with the procedure. If violated, it amounts to heavy fines and possible landing rights. Same goes for the curfew hours, too.
                It's time to fly.
                //// U N I T E D

Comment

UGH!! Noise police....

Those turds popped me at HWD a few months back. They claimed we were at 118 db off the departure end of the runway.

Yes, noise abatement compliance can make for a strange departure. Our procedure is a V2 +10 climb to 1500 to 2000 ft agl, then level off and pull the power out of it quickly. After we pass the sensetive area, power back up continue to climb normally.
                  Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Who do you fly for?

Comment

If i remember correctly he flies Sabre's and Lear’s for a private company.

Comment

Working...
                      X