No announcement yet.

Pilot Cadetships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only pproblems with the Rex and Qantas cadet programs is that when you start you barely have enough money to live off and then you get stationed in some remote area in the middle of no where. After a few years the pay becomes pretty good though.
    Would getting a PPL now help with getting into the Air Force or a cadet program?

Comment

It would with a Cadet program, as you deduct the amount it costs from the program and you do get credit for it, as well as in any Uni Course. But with the REX program, you pay in small amounts over 7 years, and you can also get a 50% scholarship and a 50% loan, so it all works out. With Qantas its the same deal but no scholarship.

You can also do some Uni courses that by the end of them you have your full ATPL and can start working for a small regional airline or cargo airline. Swinburne and RMIT offer great courses in Victoria.
      There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth. — Richard Gordon

Comment

You're right, it can take as little as 17 months, but are the airlines really going to hire you? Airlines are more and more wanting college degrees to go with the hours, not necessarily a flight degree, but they want one. Also you won't be starting out with a major airline, one like Comair, ExpressJet, etc... Making $20,000 a year is a lot different then starting out with a major making at least $50,000 your first year. Flying those 1500 hours in 12 years is still better than flying 1500 hours in a Cessna. I'm pretty sure they would take 1500 hours in an F-16 over a little Cessna. Also the military pays pretty good money.

As for the ROTC commander, I'd love to be in his shoes and be able to go to a major and get a job.

So I really don't get your point. Not to mention he's not under Uncle Sam's rule so I don't get your reference to that.
        Tanner Johnson - Owner
        twenty53 Photography

Comment

What people are forgetting to say about the Air Force is that they also have VERY high standards. You don't just enlist and get to fly an F-16, you need a college degree with a high GPA. I know some people who are in ROTC and are trying to get a pilot slots, one of them already went through basic training and works in maintenance and the other just just joined the ROTC program. Basically the way it is, is that you have to go to college first and get a degree. If you meet the standards and pass the initial pilot training you get ranked based on how well you did and then get to pick what you fly depending on what is available. If you are first in your class you get the best selection of what to you get to fly, if you are last in your class you get whatever everyone else did not want. If you don't get a pilot slot then you are still in the military and have to serve out your time doing something else. And yes, fighters don't get a lot of flying time, although it can be argued that it is higher quality. Transports would get a lot more time than fighters. Also, if you want to do fighters you'll be put through a centrifuge test where you get subjected to 8g's to see if you can handle it. You get two chances to pass it (I think), if you don't, you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320 View Post
            What people are forgetting to say about the Air Force is that they also have VERY high standards. You don't just enlist and get to fly an F-16, you need a college degree with a high GPA. I know some people who are in ROTC and are trying to get a pilot slots, one of them already went through basic training and works in maintenance and the other just just joined the ROTC program. Basically the way it is, is that you have to go to college first and get a degree. If you meet the standards and pass the initial pilot training you get ranked based on how well you did and then get to pick what you fly depending on what is available. If you are first in your class you get the best selection of what to you get to fly, if you are last in your class you get whatever everyone else did not want. If you don't get a pilot slot then you are still in the military and have to serve out your time doing something else. And yes, fighters don't get a lot of flying time, although it can be argued that it is higher quality. Transports would get a lot more time than fighters. Also, if you want to do fighters you'll be put through a centrifuge test where you get subjected to 8g's to see if you can handle it. You get two chances to pass it (I think), if you don't, you're done.
            Also, from what I have heard from other sites, if you are trying to get into the Air Force to fly fighter jets, the experience won't be a positive one. Air Force Pilots need to be soldiers first, Airmen second. Do it for the love of you country, not for 1500 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269 View Post
              Also, from what I have heard from other sites, if you are trying to get into the Air Force to fly fighter jets, the experience won't be a positive one. Air Force Pilots need to be soldiers first, Airmen second. Do it for the love of you country, not for 1500 hours.
              Yeah, very true. I also forgot to mention that they might not like it if you have too many hours because the Air Force has the way that they teach people to do things, and if you already have your own habits from being a civilian pilot it might be harder for to adapt to the air force way.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J View Post
                So I really don't get your point.
                That's a shame, I thought it was pretty obvious. That's OK, though, you're still young. For now, concentrate on beer and sluts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J View Post
                  Also the military pays pretty good money.
                  Hmmm, no they dont.
                  There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth. — Richard Gordon

Comment

Well the people I know who have made a career from the military are living pretty comfortably over here in the States.
                    Tanner Johnson - Owner
                    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Really depends on how high you rank.

Comment

Working...
                      X