X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIA to stop ultra-longhauls to EWR and LAX

This was a matter of time.

Source: Business Traveller Magazine

it's not JFK. they're stopping EWR. To JFK they serve with the A380 via FRA.

Sad. I wanted to fly on the EWR flight next year

Comment

Oops, yeah I meant EWR. I guess I shouldn't post late at night

Comment

I wonder what the fate is of the A345 then...?
        Chris Sharps
        5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
        17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
        24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
        1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

If it's so uneconomical to fly the 345's on those routes, why doesn't SIA drop them and get some 777-200LR's?

More fuel efficient and it could operate those flights with ease. Maybe it's an ETOPS issue
          I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

The reasons why these ultra long haul flights haven't worked is little to do with the aircraft type but more to do with a) the extra cost of running the flights is not covered by the yields (fuel, crew), b) relative lack of demand for incoming/outgoing interlining flights, and c) the costs of deploying so many additional flight/cabin crew members.

I've done the Singapore EWR/SIN flight once (in that direction), and while it was an efficient way to travel 9000 miles, it felt good to get off.

Comment

thats a bummer, always liked when they arrived, but somewhat suspected these routes were never going to last, especially since they already send the A380 to both lax and jfk.

delivered to Singapore Airlines in 2004...it's configured as an all-business class aircraft, total of 100 seats!
              what ever happens......happens

Comment

SQ has publicly acknowledged before that the two ULH flights have never been profitable. Now that they have found how to get rid of the A345, of course it is time to withdraw the routes.
                Next:
                None Planned

Comment

how many times did those flights operate anyways?

Comment

So, now that the A345s will be returned to Airbus, I wonder if they will end up with another airline, or be scrapped. Are there any carriers out there that might elect to take them?
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Good for parts those A345's..... Sad but true. No airline will be interested in them.
                      “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                        So, now that the A345s will be returned to Airbus, I wonder if they will end up with another airline, or be scrapped. Are there any carriers out there that might elect to take them?
                        I believe there are a few A345's that were not taken up by Kingfisher gathering dust and possibly mould somewhere in souther France, so no, they will not be taken up by another airline.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesin View Post
                          I believe there are a few A345's that were not taken up by Kingfisher gathering dust and possibly mould somewhere in souther France, so no, they will not be taken up by another airline.

Those should be flying with Arik Air. But true that there will be no interest for those SIA airframes....
                          “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Hoped on taking the LAX flight one day, oh well...
                            sigpic
                            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

What about Etihad? They operate the 345's

Comment

Working...
                              X