X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NWA 255 survivor breaks silence

AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

But she doesn't understand probability:

"Flying doesn't scare me. I have this mentality where if something bad happened to me once on a plane, it's not going to happen again," Ms Crocker says in the film. "The odds are just astronomical."
    Yes, the odds are astronomical(ly low, I guess was the intended meaning). Just as low as if she had not suffered the first accident.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      But she doesn't understand probability....
      You are correct, but let the poor gal have her peace.

It's so easy to belive that since it DID happen to you in the past, the chance of it happening to you in the future is emperically REDUCED.

C'mon, that feels so right...

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I have to admit that I have a rather fatalistic attitude to the laws of probability. I regard my chances as 50:50.

It either happens....or it doesn't !
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          I have to admit that I have a rather fatalistic attitude to the laws of probability. I regard my chances as 50:50.

...wrong again There's a 100% chance that what happens will happen, and a 0% chance that what won't happen will happen....Nothin' 50:50 about it...it's 1 or 0
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

the chances of a person being involved in two fatal commercial airline accidents is indeed astronomically low, but as soon as someone is involved in that first accident those odds become much much bigger, in fact as big as anyone else's odds of being in just one fatal commercial airline accident, that is if they survive the first crash of course...
            moving quickly in air

Comment

I think this has happened to people in the past, I am sure i read a long while back that a person survived to air crashes then decided they weren't going to fly again.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post

I have to agree with you Brian. When you're number is up, it's up. I remember about 25 years ago a poor guy was sitting at a stoplight in Seattle, just minding his own business, when an elderly guy about 4 floors up in the parking garage went to "D" instead of "R" and drove through the wall. Landed right on top of the poor guy at the stoplight. One minute your sitting at the light, the next thing you know you're at the pearly gates asking St. Peter "what the ph#%@ happened?" And staying in bed--alone--isn't any less risky. How about the poor guy in Florida who had a sinkhole open up and swallow him earlier this year...

That being said, I do try to limit the activities that might enhance my chances of meeting St. Peter in person sooner rather than later.
                The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Yeah whatever, I'm only going to die once. Let it be in a manner that gets front page top of the fold (without me doing anything stupid violent).

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
                    Yeah whatever, I'm only going to die once. Let it be in a manner that gets front page top of the fold (without me doing anything stupid violent).
                    How about being 98 years old and shot by the mad husband of a 24 year old?
                    The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Still...

one should think twice before getting on an Air Bus.

or a regional piloted by puppy mill graduates.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        Still...

or a regional piloted by puppy mill graduates.

Are you channeling?

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                          Still...

Above all, beware of cheap composites!

Comment

Where is the guy InTheShade when you need him?

Aviation community is at a loss with this loss.
                            Coyote

Comment

Working...
                            X