Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC deploying 77L between LAX and YYZ in Nov.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC deploying 77L between LAX and YYZ in Nov.

Only for the month of November, but interesting usage of the aircraft anyway. Using heavies for short/medium hauls is common in the Far East region but not so much in North America. I'm guessing this is due to seasonal demand?

Source: Airline Route

Maybe some of the Canadian members might have some other info., but it could also be a repositioning leg, i.e. use the aircraft during "down time" when it might have been sitting on a ramp idle anyway. Not saying that demand is not there, but it would be a great way to up utilization of the aircraft. Also, I have seen AA shift heavies to sometimes smaller routes if there is cargo to haul back. Haha, maybe YYZ is getting some IPhone 6s.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

That is quite interesting to hear. I don't even think any of the gates at pier F (the trans border side, not the Hammerhead for international flights) can handle aircraft the size of a triple.

It could be a money saving idea, cut the number of flights for a single aircraft that can hold more than three/four of those flights. It was the whole idea behind the A380, not range, capacity to help lower the number of flights, like the 747 back in the late 60's.

There may also be a route they are starting but want to keep it secret until a later date. I. E. CYYZ-KLAX-(the IATA for Aukland)
      I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

Originally posted by porter guy View Post
        There may also be a route they are starting but want to keep it secret until a later date. I. E. CYYZ-KLAX-(the IATA for Aukland)
        No need for that. AC already sends the 77L (and occasionally the 77W) daily YYZ - SYD, which is an extra 3 or so hours west, so I'd assume the 77L could make YYZ-AKL easy.

Comment

Originally posted by porter guy View Post
          It could be a money saving idea, cut the number of flights for a single aircraft that can hold more than three/four of those flights. It was the whole idea behind the A380, not range, capacity to help lower the number of flights, like the 747 back in the late 60's.
          AC's use of smaller aircraft, more frequently, was a response to the market. Airlines in the past decade understood that frequency trumps capacity in many cases. Case in point, consider that if you were to shelve 4 daily flights on A320, for 1 daily 777 - you will have to funnel all of your passengers onto that one aircraft, regardless of the time that they arrive to LAX. With UA's titanic presence there, passengers are arriving from around the globe, hoping to connect through onto other StarAlliance carriers. Can you imagine if you are unfortunate enough to arrive and have a 12 hour lay-over waiting for the sole AC flight of the day. It would be enough to drive you to another carrier. It may well be financially beneficial to offer greater frequency, and use more appropriate aircraft, to better serve your clientele.

I would love to know why the 77L is being used here. Sadly, without insiders like PTBODale (or other AC insiders), we can only speculate...
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by VH-ROB View Post
            No need for that. AC already sends the 77L (and occasionally the 77W) daily YYZ - SYD, which is an extra 3 or so hours west, so I'd assume the 77L could make YYZ-AKL easy.

Unfortunately, no plane can do that route with a load of passengers, their bags and cargo. The aircraft makes a stop in YVR for a few hours then continues south. The YVR-SYD segment is one of the longest nonstop routes in the world
            I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

DL630 DTW-ATL is sometimes done by a 777. In that circumstance that flight is called "A non-revver's dream".

Comment

Working...
              X