Dangerous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerous?

People on board a flight in Russia get out and push the aircraft after its braking system freezes.

Oxana Gorbunova thinks so. The TU-134 lacks wing slats and it's Strong Russian Airplane. I have to believe aerodynamic forces are greater than human ones.

Of course it's dangerous, we had a line crew member "Bad Toe" run over by a tire when moving the aircraft. Rest in peace you big lovable goon.

I think that smart money would have run a few APU's out there and thawed things out. Just set them at a reasonable distance where they wouldn't cook the rubber.

Passengers charged? They had to do that with the urging of the crew who opened (speculation), the door for them. On the other hand they acted in the true spirit of the kolohozy and the collective mentality was strong. Mother Russia is probably proud of it sons and daughters and Putin will probably be pinning some air medal on their chests.

Slats we don't need no stinking slats, those are for decadent westerners. Let me eat my desert in peace and pass cabbage please.
    Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-f...where-30208605

Oxana Gorbunova thinks so. The TU-134 lacks wing slats and it's Strong Russian Airplane. I have to believe aerodynamic forces are greater than human ones.
      The aerodynamic forces are spread very evenly compared to handprints.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

really? dumb-fuck prosecutor is looking into whether the passengers violated the law??????

this is a no-brainer: since the pax volunteered to help, it will be determined that they violated the law, interfered with crew, and will be sentenced to long terms of imprisonment in the nearest gulag.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
          really? dumb-fuck prosecutor is looking into whether the passengers violated the law??????
          You need to watch some CNN...

Medication or alcohol might be wise first... I'd hate for it to bother you if you were too focused.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            The aerodynamic forces are spread very evenly compared to handprints.
            Yes, but can even Strong Russian Hand approximate the max allowable aerodynamic load on a leading edge? ...a 60's CCCP brick sh•thouse type leading edge?

Oh, wait, where's Northwester? Didn't he once tell us a large birch tree could not sever a Tupolev wing?

Comment

Oh, wait, where's Northwester? Didn't he once tell us a large birch tree could not sever a Tupolev wing?
              You're right... Or was it not on the flight path and had saw marks, or did they move it?

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                You're right... Or was it not on the flight path and had saw marks, or did they move it?
                Oh Christ....don't start that again !!
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                  Oh Christ....don't start that again !!
                  My apologies Brian. Won't happen again.

so... I'm wondering why they didn't just bring in one of those Russian helicopters with lifting straps...

Comment

Yes, but can even Strong Russian Hand approximate the max allowable aerodynamic load on a leading edge?
                    People don't realize how "smooth" the aerodynamic forces are.

This doesn't answer your question, but to give an idea, take the Tomahawk.
                    MTOW: 750 Kg
                    Wing area: 10m2 = 100,000 cm2 (it's more, but I don't remember the exact figure so rounded it down to be conservative).
                    Max load factor: 4.5G
                    Max wing loading: 4.5 x 750kg / 100,000cm2 = 34 g (grams!) per cm2

The leading edge doesn't take particularly more load than the rest of the wing.

A human finger can easily exceed that force.

Fortunately, its wing is of the semi-monocoque type, where the skin takes the much of the torsion and some of the flexing, so the skin is designed to buckling for that flexotorsion load and hence is not an onion skin.

Yet, you still can make a bump in the Tomahawk's wing skin with your human hand (or feet, thence the "no step" signs). But honestly, not by pushing back on the leading edges. You don't need much force to push Tommy back (it's quite lighter than your average car) and the leading edge has additional "shape" strength due to it's high curvature (comparing with the rest of the airfoil). It' a quite regular practice to do it, and while the manual doesn't prescribe it (instead, it explains the use of the towbar), it doesn't forbid it either.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                    X