Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kulverstukas View Post
    Still queue is about month long...
    3 weeks actually.....but still rather long. That's the problem with being the largest, most popular aviation website run by volunteers.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      3 weeks actually.....but still rather long. That's the problem with being the largest, most popular aviation website run by volunteers.
      Brian Can We know how many screeners are there for screening ? Offcourse with full respect to them as they're giving there valuable times to screen voluntarily .

Comment

Originally posted by Raihan Ahmed View Post
        Brian Can We know how many screeners are there for screening ? Offcourse with full respect to them as they're giving there valuable times to screen voluntarily .
        The screening team is currently made up of 30 volunteers.

Comment

Good for to know information: According to information received, the biggest competitor of this website, which is a smaller site, has a team of 40 screeners and a queue of +/_ 10 days.

Better be in stone age than in no age

Comment

Originally posted by Nito View Post
            Good for to know information: According to information received, the biggest competitor of this website, which is a smaller site, has a team of 40 screeners and a queue of +/_ 10 days.
            You can call them Airliners.net in these forums if you so wish...it's not frowned upon like we are over there.

One of the problems with putting a large number of screeners in place, is that it's extremely hard to control consistency, which imo, is one of the biggest problems Airliners has. It is something that we are very weary of but are examining.
            Last edited by B7772ADL; 2014-11-26, 14:52.

Comment

And you can not add more tha 3-4 new screeners at a time, otherwise consistency suffers too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightdogg View Post
                Finally, keep in mind that screeners are people too
                How about a t-shirt for the screeners?

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                  Still... And it's very frustrating. Anet keeps queue around 5-7 days lately and planespotters put restrictions on daily upload limit to 250-350 photo when queue growth to such unacceptable length.

As I understand, root of the problem is small amount of premium members who flood the site with hundreds photo a day?

Comment

not hundreds a day, but to apply simple maths:
                    2% of the uploaders (22 out of 1177) accumulate 20% of the photos in the queue (3433 out of 16855).
                    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                      2% of the uploaders (22 out of 1177) accumulate 20% of the photos in the queue (3433 out of 16855).
                      that means around 156 photos average, for each of those 22 uploaders.
                      With a queue of 22 days it means an average nr of 7 uploads a day.
                      That isn't really to much I'd say.

If there would be a max of 5 uploads a day for everyone of the 1177 uploaders; does that make a difference in the total amount of pics in the queue?

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                        Right .... and even with that skew, that still only leaves an average of 156 per each of those 22 (the 2%'ers), which, while high, isn't crazy high, and for some, may represent uploading in spurts rather than a couple photos a day.

The other aspect is that even if those shots came out of the queue, there'd still be 14,422 left.

I have a photo that went into the queue around the 17,000 mark, and has been in the queue for about 4 days. My photos that are about 300 in the queue have been there for 23 days. This means that cutting down the top 2% from 150 down to 50-60 would really only reduce the queue to just about 20 days (since they'll still have photos in the queue, just not as many).

Ultimately, while faster is always preferable, I don't have an issue with the queue under the circumstances (the volunteer status of the screeners, relatively stable and well performing site, holiday season means less time for the screeners combined with more photos from the photographers and likely the screeners themselves).

Comment

Originally posted by jpmagero View Post

The other aspect is that even if those shots came out of the queue, there'd still be 14,422 left.
                          Ok then, so I'm wrong and problem not in spotters. Just JP is soooo popular, that it keeps be flooded by photos One must just get used to that - JP means long queue, Anet - very hard screening and planespotters - screening with strange secret rules.

Comment

I'm with John on this - I have just had some come out of the queue at 23 days and some hours - but - given that this is all a volunteer operation - people have to deal with their own lives away from JP - I could never screen - as I could not dedicate the time with other things that I have going on. So - that's to the people that do give up their time to our hobby!!

Comment

Originally posted by jpmagero View Post
                              How about a t-shirt for the screeners?
                              Love it !!

Can I have one in 4XL please ?

Comment

Being an admin here means that most of my time on the site is taken up with admin work such as answering emails, appeals and spotting groups creation. New aircraft and new airports have to be carefully checked for accuracy and ensure that they are not already in the database. Then there's screening emails to and from members and checking photograph comments. All of this takes a considerable amount of time and that's before I ever get anywhere near screening pictures which I do in batches of 50.
                                This last week I kept a log of the time I put in with JP.....and I don't do as much as some other crew members. Admin duties and screening for JP took up a whopping 25% of my waking hours at home. I'm not looking for any trumpet calls or fawning thanks, I'm just trying to point out here that we're doing the best we can in an overload situation.
                                Throwing more screeners into the pot won't fix anything. In fact, it will probably reduce screening slightly while newbies are trained. Newbies can't Instant add or Instant reject for at least a couple of months or so that means more screens going to 2 or 3 decisions with an increase in time needed to screen.

To be honest, I'm beginning to think that the only way to get things back under control is to freeze uploading for three or four days to give us a bit of catch up time and maybe organise during that period one of the screening marathons that we used to do. That's something I wouldn't want to see though if at all possible. It would do a lot for morale to be able to give the queue a good bashing without seeing it back at the old level within a few hours.

I use the Instant Reject feature for shots that I don't see any chance of another screener accepting, especially shots that have errors such as dust spots, centreing and immediately visible exposure issues. A lot of these errors are easy to avoid and just need some extra work on the part of the photographer. You would probably be surprised how often I use Instant Reject !
                                Conversely, I use the Instant Add feature where there just simply isn't any need for a vote. I use that quite a lot as well.

We need photographers to take ownership of their standards. A lot of our rejections should never have been uploaded in the first place. With many shots it is obvious that the uploader hasn't read the upload guidelines or looked at what is and is not acceptable here. Then we get the "card dumpers" as we call them in the trade. They upload every single image on their SD card with little or no real thought given to the quality of the images. They usually accumulate in excess of 70% rejections and can be the reason that a screener stops their screening session simply because they lose the will to live having to wade through the same old rubbish.
                                Some people just don't learn from their mistakes. As screeners we can leave what we call "Warnings" tagged to a particular uploader where we warn other screeners of issues with a particular uploader. We don't keep these to ourselves, we leave notes to the uploader in the rejection emails and sometimes we email the uploader direct with some advice. It is SO frustrating to have these advice efforts ignored. I won't name names but we have one uploader with 28 warnings listed against them and I believe the record was over 35 !!

Well, that's my rant over. Some of you will agree with me and some of you will be upset by this. Sorry if you fall into the latter category ..... but that's life !

Comment

Working...
                                X