Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A world war 1 hero lived in a house in the town whose name the airport bears.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• A technological feature which traverses this airports country has one end very near here.

Comment

• Going on a limb, Vladivostok Airport, on the end of the trans siberia line. With Wiki blacked out this is a lot more difficult!
        Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• On the end of a line ?
          Yes. But Vladivostok doesn't exactly get a lot of sunshine.

You're in the right technology park though. Don't forget the ww1 character.

Comment

• OK, WW1 implies we're looking at Europe. However, due to their neutrality we can exclude Switzerland, Spain, Netherlands and Scandinavia.
            Technological feature traversing the country, probably railway related. I'm gonna guess it's gonna be high speed rail, so that brings it down to Germany, France or Belgium (note to UK: I did say high speed rail ). Said rail line terminates at or near the city we're looking for, so that rules out Belgium.
            Year round sunshine: strike Germany from the list. I'm left with France, probably southern France?

And that´s where I´m drawing a blank.

So, for my next guess: Paris Le Bourget. Several TGV lines end in Paris, along with the Eurotunnel route. The WW1 hero is Roland Garros who grew up in the Parisian borough of Saint-Denis. Still does not explain year round sun, but again with Wiki blacked out it ain't easy.

BTW, the hint not to forget the ww1 character, with around 10 million military casulaties, thus not even counting survivors, the list with potential ww1 characters is kind a large.

Comment

• OK, to help with the confusion.....it's not in Europe. The WW1 person/hero/character was the subject of a film.

Comment

• The town that this small airport serves is at one end of a technological feature. The country doesn't have any natural rivers.

Comment

• Egypt has sunshine, technological feature traversing the country -> Suez Canal, WW1 hero with movie -> TE Lawrence, but it has 1 river - the Nile.
                  Qualified Investigator: www.airdisaster.com (2006)
                  Career Mileage: http://my.flightmemory.com/reubee

Comment

• Now we're getting closer. Right war hero, wrong country. Lawrence of ??????
                    Last edited by brianw999; 2012-01-30, 10:20.

Comment

• And his death leads to the advent of the crash helmet?
                      Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

• The Prince M. Airport at Median?

The railway of note being the techno feature?

Comment

• Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
                          The Prince M. Airport at Median?

The railway of note being the techno feature?
                          Nope. If you mean Medina then you're in the right country. The techno feature can only be seen at certain places as it crosses the country in question and is a composite part of this country's gross domestic product, a product that you probably need every day of your life.

Comment

• King Fahd International airport at Dammam, Saudi Arabia. Nearby the oil pipe line.

Comment

• Brian, this has been on my mind all day. There used to be a saying or verse ... Mecca to Medina and ...

Kippling sort of period British verse? Does that ring a bell?

Comment

• The oil pipeline is the techno feature but the airport isn't King Fahd International airport.

Let's take another look at the clues. I'll add bits that people have got correct plus a couple of "sweeteners".....

1. The town in Saudi Arabia that this small civil airport serves is at one end of a technological feature, which we now know is the trans arabian pipeline. In the last few years it has expanded to allow for a limited international service although it used to be an internal flights only airport.

2. TE Lawrence had a house here. (if you use the right Google search words you'll get the answer early on the first page)

3. The town at the other end of the pipeline does have an airport but it's not a civil airport. King Fahd International airport is the civil airport for that area.

I doubt any of you will know this but I used to work as a paramedic in this place. Those were interesting times.
                                Last edited by brianw999; 2012-01-31, 11:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X