Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by James Bond View Post
    According to Malaysia Airlines, wooden pallets were part of the cargo.
    Care to share your source with us? There's a plethora of rumors on this one. It would be a good policy to post your source on any legitimate news.

Comment

Which really doesn't mean anything. Probably every passenger and cargo ship has them on board as well, and many probably get tossed over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
        There is a map here http://theaviationist.com/2014/03/20/mh370-total-recap/ that shows the arc locations based on the ping delay times. It also shows a possible route provided by the NTSB; presumably using an estimated airspeed and distance between arcs.
        Now here's my made-for-tv-based-on-a-true-story pitch:

A pair of hijackers take over the flight. They've done their internet research. They've rehearsed it all in the sim. They know how to reprogram the FMS. They know how to shut down the transponders and ACARS. They know the fully fueled range of the 777-200ER. Otherwise, they are not all that bright. They re-route over the Malaysian peninsula and then vector south towards a blue ice landing spot on the continent of Antarctica where accomplices await with support, shelter, supplies or possibly another plane (this is TV). The B777-200ER has the range to get there if it was fueled for the trip. They fail to understand that it isn't. Somewhere southwest of Perth they reach fuel starvation and desperately try to ditch which of course they have no chance of doing. The end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
          Care to share your source with us? There's a plethora of rumors on this one. It would be a good policy to post your source on any legitimate news.
          Fair enough

DEBRIS including a wooden pallet has been spotted by one of the aircraft searching for missing flight MH370, Prime Minister Tony Abbott has revealed.

Mr Abbott said he was told late last night a civilian aircraft had sighted a number of objects within the search zone.
          It is the first direct sighting of debris and follows two hits by satellite in the past week.

“Yesterday one of our civilian search aircraft got visuals on a number of objects in a fairly small area in the overall Australian search zone,” Mr Abbott said today.

He said the debris was: “A number of small objects, fairly close together within the Australian search zone, including a wooden pallet.”

“It’s still too early to be definite, but obviously we have now had a number of very credible leads and there is increasing hope, no more than hope, no more than hope, that we might be on the road to discovering what did happen to this ill-fated aircraft,” Mr Abbott said.

Wooden pallets were onboard Flight MH370 before it vanished, as the aircraft was carrying crates of fruit, mainly mangosteens, that were meant to be delivered to Beijing.
          His revelation gives further hope that authorities might be closing in on the fate of missing Malaysian aircraft MH370.
          furthermore - (although MH doesn't specifically say 'wooden pallets' - for produce such as fruit, they are usually cartons on a pallet)

On March 17, Ahmad Jauhari had said at the daily press briefing that flight MH370 was transporting three to four tonnes of mangosteens to China, stressing that there was no dangerous cargo on board.
          AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
          the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• I have never seen a wooden pallet aboard an aircraft. And I used to work for DHL as A&P on their cargo DC-8 and 727-200 freight/ they use cargo containers, they are made of aluminum.
            A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

• From 10°00'00"N 94°00'00"E (IGREX) to YWKS (66°41'22"S 111°29'09"E) Heading 173.0° (S) 5359 mi via Great Circle Mapper

RWY 09T/27T 3,200m 10,499ft ICE

The last two flights of the season left YWKS in late February. The aerodrome lies 70km from the nearest inhabited base.

Comment

• The problem is not "killing the avionics and keep the turbines turning".

The problem is killing the ACARS, transponder and most radios at once, but keep the plane and the pilots well enough to keep maneuvering precisely through several waypoints that were not in the planned route, and then kill the pilots but keep the rest of the plane (including turbines, control surfaces and their actuators, autopilot, FMS and SATCOM working for 5 or 6 hours more.

I can't imagine that happening, and if MCM can, I wan to hear it.
                The problem is that I can't imagine any of the possible theories happening. We are dealing in the realms of the very unlikely no matter what the answer ends up being.

I don't go into details because I'm really not a fan of speculation and I really don't know what to believe.

My comment was simply around the fact that it is possible for a fire to take out the pilots, oxygen, and electrics, while possibly leaving the actual "ping" part of the satcom alone. Unlikely, absolutely. But possible? Probably.

You are correct that the aircraft continuing to follow a path is very unlikely (the scenario works better if it is on a heading only), but could it happen? Possibly. I'm not saying its likely, but I do think its possible.

Comment

Those pallets, if at all brought on board the aircraft, would presumably have been contained in cargo boxes. I would be surprised to hear that they were loaded as-is. Given the hypothesis that the aircraft crashed into the ocean, I would presume that the cargo boxes would either sink in one piece due to density being >1 or, if they were torn up at impact, cargo and wooden pallets would be shredded as well. The highest probablility of a wooden pallet floating intact in the ocean would simply be that it was thrown/lost from a ship. The oceans are full of man made debris which is disposed off ships at sea for various reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by MCM View Post
                    The problem is that I can't imagine any of the possible theories happening. We are dealing in the realms of the very unlikely no matter what the answer ends up being.

I don't go into details because I'm really not a fan of speculation and I really don't know what to believe.

My comment was simply around the fact that it is possible for a fire to take out the pilots, oxygen, and electrics, while possibly leaving the actual "ping" part of the satcom alone. Unlikely, absolutely. But possible? Probably.

You are correct that the aircraft continuing to follow a path is very unlikely (the scenario works better if it is on a heading only), but could it happen? Possibly. I'm not saying its likely, but I do think its possible.
                    Suicide by hypoxia. Pilot disables coms. Programs a route to go out over a remote part of the Indian Ocean on a corse avoiding radar. Depresureises the cabin. Uses oxygen until everyone else on board is unconscious sits back and goes to sleep.

Hijack. The hijackers some how get into the flight deck. Force the crew to disable coms. And fly a new corse. The pilots attempt to foil the hijack by depresurising the cabin but the plan fails and everyone loses consciousness. The aircraft goes into heading hold after the last waypoint.

ISTM that these two scinerios are the simplest explanations that fit the facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quench View Post
                      Suicide by hypoxia. Pilot disables coms. Programs a route to go out over a remote part of the Indian Ocean on a corse avoiding radar. Depresureises the cabin. Uses oxygen until everyone else on board is unconscious sits back and goes to sleep.

Hijack. The hijackers some how get into the flight deck. Force the crew to disable coms. And fly a new corse. The pilots attempt to foil the hijack by depresurising the cabin but the plan fails and everyone loses consciousness. The aircraft goes into heading hold after the last waypoint.

ISTM that these two scinerios are the simplest explanations that fit the facts.
                      What about this one:
                      KAL 007 scenario:
                      Aircraft is intercepted and partially destroyed by a vietnamese Sukhoi SU35, pilots got killed. Cabin losses pressure, flight attendant takes control of the aircraft and tries to go back to Malaysia, she flies to "oxygen altitude" below 10,000 ft/ hydraulics and electronics are totally disabled, eventually just like KAL 007, aircraft crashes in the ocean.

Comment

• Snipped and edited, but no intent to change meaning nor disagreement:

Originally posted by MCM View Post
                        ...We are dealing in the realms of the very unlikely no matter what the answer ends up being...

...I'm really not a fan of [pure] speculation...

...You are correct that the aircraft continuing to follow a path is very unlikely...
                        Hell, isn't there some I-phone app that could guide them from waypoint to waypoint?

(this comment is only 30% sarcasm, it certainly is possible to have a small, self-contained navigation thingy...I think they are still widely available in the light-plane realm where you might rent a steam-gauge, VOR+ADF Cessna- but stick your hand-held GPS into the 12-volt power port...)

(or is the plane supposed to be devoid of functional human life at this time?)
                        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                          What about this one:
                          KAL 007 scenario:
                          Aircraft is intercepted and partially destroyed by a vietnamese Sukhoi SU35, pilots got killed. Cabin losses pressure, flight attendant takes control of the aircraft and tries to go back to Malaysia, she flies to "oxygen altitude" below 10,000 ft/ hydraulics and electronics are totally disabled, eventually just like KAL 007, aircraft crashes in the ocean.
                          AVION1 - I think we have covered this one before:
                          a) no motive for such an attack (aircraft was on track, Vietnamese ATC had received a flight plan and was actually awaiting contact with MH370)
                          b) if the pilots are killed in the attack, what makes you believe that there is enough hardware left intact in the cockpit for a non-pilot to control the aircraft?
                          c) if hydraulics are totally disabled, the plane becomes uncontrollable and there would already be debris found in the Gulf of Thailand.

Comment

• Apparently more satellite imagery now out there, this time French. Can't wait to see how many pixels this time.

Re wooden pallet: I wonder if any of the human spotters on the civilian aircraft thought to bring a camera with them?

Comment

• Australian P-3 Orion, just found something:

Comment

• Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                                Australian P-3 Orion, just found something:
                                We keep getting blurry ufo-hoax style pictures and yet the P3 has sophisticated magnetic anomaly detection capability. We have heard NOTHING about detection of floating or subsurface metallic objects via these on board sensors, just dumb pictures of floating detrius. I'm pretty sure a P3 can drop to very low atitude and 'paint' these objects. Why are we hearing nothing about that. Or is the most sophisticated thing on a P3 really someone's iPhone camera?

Comment

Working...
                                X