Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insel Air MD 80 thrust reverser failure (video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insel Air MD 80 thrust reverser failure (video)

This is for the pilots/experts here. I'm always into more technical explanations if there is one . Just curious to know what is going on with the #2 reverser if you can surmise from the video (#1 obviously failed):

Source: JustPlanes Youtube channel

Here are my thoughts:

A technical problem (hydraulic or electric) prevented the deployment of the no. 1 reverser buckets. The pilots tried to rectify it by cycling the reversers, but no. 1 still doesn't deploy. All in all not much of a problem, though. Aircraft can (in fact, must be able to) land safely without reversers.

Comment

Is there ever a situation in which only one would be deployed intentionally? Is that even possible?
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
        Is there ever a situation in which only one would be deployed intentionally? Is that even possible?
        It is possible. I once took a picture sequence of a perfectly normal landing of an Iberworld A330-200 landing at Amsterdam and deploying only the reverser on the right-hand engine. Unfortunately, that was in my early days of photoshopping and I didn't edit the picture well enough to get it uploaded, so I can't link it here.

As for the situation where only one reverser would be deployed intentionally, I can imagine that if one reverser is inoperative, the onther one could still be used with the engine staying at idle reverse. A little rudder during rollout should be enough to keep the aircraft on the runway.

Comment

^Thanks for the feedback, good insight!

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
            ^Thanks for the feedback, good insight!
            Double that - thank you Peter for the info.
            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
              As for the situation where only one reverser would be deployed intentionally, I can imagine that if one reverser is inoperative, the onther one could still be used with the engine staying at idle reverse. A little rudder during rollout should be enough to keep the aircraft on the runway.
              In fact, at least in the cases that I know, full reverse could and normally would be used.

But nothing of that explains what we see in the video here.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
              X