Airliners in the Movies and TV . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avianca B707 in the movies

An Avianca B707 is briefly shown in "The day after tomorrow". In the movie the plane has been brought down by the weather.

As a matter of fact, the footage shown in the movie is from the actual accident, right after it happened on January 1990. The plane crash landed because of fuel starvation.

Comment

Another one:

"A Face In The Crowd"-1957-Andy Griffith & Lee Remick.

Capital Vickers Viscount 745

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Enjoy, Christian

Comment

Just remembering "Con Air" (1997). Whenever I watch that movie, I assume that Nicolas Cage, John Cusack, John Malkovich, Ving Rhames and Steve Buscemi had a lot of fun during the shooting in 1997. And I remember at least 2 a/c:
        1 Fairchild C123 Provider
        and a second one, a small jet which was parked at "Lerner Airfield", which would make the connection for one of those guys "out of the barn":
        1 Sabreliner 60, a 12pax-jet like this one, without boring 0-shaped windows :
        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

I will have to look again, but I am pretty sure there is a 707 in A Hard Day's Night. (Not that I need an excuse to watch the Beatles!)

What about the TV show LOST? I know that some of the footage is computerized, but there are several shots that look like they might be real.

This wins though:

Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) John Lithgow - brief, dark, foggy aerial shot of what looks like a 707 on approach.

That movie had me avoiding the window seat for a long time!
          I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Comment

Here's more:

"The Bellboy"-1960

National DC-8-21
            Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

"Hold On"-1966

TWA Boeing 707-131B & 131-"Arrival LAX"-1966

"Superchick"-1973

TWA Boeing 747-131-"Take-off & Landing"-1973

"Gidget Goes Hawaiian":
            United Douglas DC-8-21-"Fly To Hawaii"-1961http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpnmVSYfwNk

"The Out Of Towners"-1970

Trans International Boeing 727-171-"Take-Off"-1970

"Gidget Goes To Rome"-1962

Alitalia Douglas DC-8-43-"Landing Rome"-1963

"Murderer's Row"-1966:

Pan Am Douglas DC-8-33-"Nice Côte d'Azur"-1966

"Puppet on a Chain"-1970:

KLM Douglas DC-8-32-"Landing Amsterdam"-1970

Enjoy,

Christian
            Last edited by LX-A343; 2010-03-20, 08:02. Reason: edited font size

Comment

I don't know why the text got huge...sorry!

Comment

@Myndee: Sorry, but I have to correct your information: It is not "A Hard Day's Night" were The Beatles leaving a PAA 707 (N708PA), it is "Help!" (1965). In "A Hard Day's Night" (1964) they are boarding a BEA Sikorski- (S-55?) Helicopter reg. G-ANFH. With Pauls grandpa in handcuffs.

And another favorite is "Avanti! Avanti!" (1972). An Alitalia Piaggio BizJet brings Jack Lemmon directly to a waiting Alitalia DC-8/43. Good scenes with a lot of Alitalias DC-8 and a other jetliners at Rome.

Ralf

get FRA spotting informations here:
                www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Originally posted by DAIRD View Post
                  @Myndee: Sorry, but I have to correct your information: It is not "A Hard Day's Night" were The Beatles leaving a PAA 707 (N708PA), it is "Help!" (1965). In "A Hard Day's Night" (1964) they are boarding a BEA Sikorski- (S-55?) Helicopter reg. G-ANFH. With Pauls grandpa in handcuffs.

And another favorite is "Avanti! Avanti!" (1972). An Alitalia Piaggio BizJet brings Jack Lemmon directly to a waiting Alitalia DC-8/43. Good scenes with a lot of Alitalias DC-8 and a other jetliners at Rome.

Ralf

Thanks for the correction! I will have to throw this question into a Beatles trivia game. It's a good one!
                  I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Comment

No matter... N708PA crashed later that year..Sep 1965, hitting high ground at Montserrat.
                    BTW: I remember a comedy with Jerry Lewis on the controls of a Ford Trimotor and a 707 with Continental "Golden Jet" colors. I don't know the title of that movie.

Comment

Airline UK and USA; Reality comedy show with live airport/airplane footage.

Comment

The Tim-Conway-Show (ca. 1970/71): Two chaotic pilots and a Beech 18 called Lucky Linda. Some years after they reeled Spencer's Pilots with a lot more chaotic pilots in different planes.

Comment

"B.S. I Love You"-1971

TWA Convair CV-880-"Take-off San Diego"-1971

Enjoy, Christian

Comment

Jerry Lewis Movie

Originally posted by DAIRD View Post
                            . . . I remember a comedy with Jerry Lewis on the controls of a Ford Trimotor and a 707 with Continental "Golden Jet" colors. I don't know the title of that movie.
                            That may have been "Family Jewels". I'm checking on that one . . .

It's been awhile, but I guess it's time to update this list, if anyone is still interested.

And Christian, you are the champion archeologist of airliner footage! Wow, you sure have found a lot of stuff! Thank you!

Yes, this endeavour may be a bit "geeky", but it's one thing to look at a still picture of a vintage airliner which is no longer flying, but another entirely to be able to view it in action, in its environment, when it was earning its keep. I think that is what appeals to us. Not just a still picture but movement and sounds. Keeping the memory alive also helps to preserve airliner history and dispel certain airliner myths.
                            Last edited by Louis Gonzalez; 2012-03-27, 19:45. Reason: Additions and corrections

Comment

The Tin Goose

Originally posted by 474218 View Post
                              It seems strange that an airplane with the nickname "The Tin Goose" would be referred to as a "wooden Ford Trimotor".

The Ford Tri-Motor is and was all metal.
                              Good point - I was wondering about that myself years ago, but I am not too knowledgeable on the Ford Trimotor so I just copied the information as it was given to me from a valued contributor.

I assumed that the contributor meant that the early Ford Trimotors were made of wood, and the later ones of metal. Most planes were not made of metal in the mid 1920's so it thought it was plausible, and from what I've seen in pictures there were a lot of variations in the Stout (Trimotor) designs. The cockpit, wings and fuselage look quite different in some models. This definitely requires further research and I will address it when I update the list. Thanks for pointing that out!
                              Last edited by Louis Gonzalez; 2012-03-27, 19:41. Reason: Corrections and additions

Comment

Sorry if this has already been mentioned here: In the 1960's TV show The Beverly Hillbillies, the Clampetts flew to England aboard a Pan Am 707.

Various shots of Pan Am 707(s) taking off, in cruise flight, and landing during the episode. Also some funny segments inside the cabin with the Clampetts and stewardesses.

Rick G.

Comment

Working...
                                X