The true cost of "non-rev" travel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The true cost of "non-rev" travel!

Recently, I was given a "buddypass" to attend a wedding in India by a relative of mine that works for Delta.ATL-CDG-BOM and BOM-CDG-JFK-ATL will cost over $650. A fullfare ticket will be a little less than double that, but at least with the fullfare, your'e guaranteed a seat!

Why is non-rev travel so expensive? Is it this expensive on the other "Big 6"?

What about other airlines around the world? What are their prices like?

Furthermore, AirTran employees travel absoleutely free! Is this the same of all other L.C.Cs?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Southwest is completely free for the Employee, Spouse, Children and the Employee's parents.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

And on SWA, Buddy passes are free as well.
      SET LOVE FREE!!

Comment

On ATA it was free for me, my wife and parents. Buddy passes were free also, but you had to stay in the US. I took my sister and husband to Cancun on a travel pass and they had to pay 10% of the highest fare and any taxes, so they flew from IND - CUN - IND for about $160 a person. I was also able to fly on Southwest for $25 one way. I got my mom a flight on United partner for $25 one way, but if I had put her on United, it would have been incredibly expensive.
        "If you are looking for perfect safety, you will do well to sit on a fence and watch the birds. But if you really wish to learn you must mount a machine and become acquainted with its tricks by actual trial." - Wilbur Wright, 1901

Comment

Wow, that certainly seems like a lot of cash.
          Through Westjet, I get interline privilages on Northwest and a flight from SEA-BKK costs just under $300 CAN round-trip.

As for Westjet non-rev travel is as follows:

Employee and one travel companion: $2.50 one-way
          Employees parents/children: $25.00 one-way
          Buddy passes: $35.00 one-way
          EH..

Comment

continental/coex costs $10.00 domestic each way for employees, spouse/companion, dependents, and parents. international varies, however, each year every employee gets 10 one-way vacation passes to be used by any of the above and is free domestic and international in any class of service (first/business first). we also have agreements with damn near any carrier (id95 on dl, $12.00 service charge on nw, zonal agreements, etc.) buddy passes tend to be expensive, though, $50 each way plus taxes domestic and even higher international.
            what's nice (all airlines generally have this) are the airport agreements between carriers. for example, i can fly free on nw, american, southwest, or usair (delta actually charges a small fee), and the employees of the other airlines at our airport have a reciprocal agreement on us.
            Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

Airways is free for employees, immediate family, and parents. We pay tax on imputed income for my girlfriend, which amounts to very little money.

Additional fees apply for international travel, which is pretty standard with most airlines.

Also, our benefits start on our date of hire.
              Bite me Airways.....

Comment

There is a difference about non-revving with a buddy pass, and being an actual employee, Buddy passes for most airlines are based on miles, so you may pay 2 cents a mile for example, etc.

Southwest is completely free for the Employee, Spouse, Children and the Employee's parents.
                This is the same for NW in Coach, however, in FC it is $20 each way domestic, I am not sure what the prices are for international, I think it is just airport taxes and such for international with the exception of Business Class.

I get mostly 90-95% off all other airlines, except we can fly Continental for exactly the same as NW, meaning free in coach and $20 each way in FC.

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                  And Internet friends?

Comment

As an employee I am allowed unlimited domestic travel, first class or coach class at no charge, I am allowed 9 flight days for international travel at no charge, after the 9th international flight day I have to pay only taxes...on other airlines it all depends on the reciprical agreement...

My travel companion is allowed unlimited domestic/international travel (coach or first) but has to pay the yeild fare on all flights (a reduced rate based on distance) plus any taxes if traveling internationally..

My parents each get 9 roundtrip flights domestic travel (coach or first) at no charge, after the 9th day they start paying yeild fare...all international travel they pay the yeild fare plus taxes...

I get 8 buddy passes a year to give away to anyone - but due too people bitching about standby and not making a flight I dont give them out - Buddy Pass riders pay the yeild fare plus any taxes if traveling overseas...Employees can loose their flight benefits or even their job based on the behavior of the buddy pass rider...

Comment

Damn dude, we have it good compared to that. Our buddy passes are $30, with unlimited free domestic for us, parents, spouse, and kids.

I get dinged on taxes when my girlfriend flies, but it is negligable.

Losing your privileges for the behavior of someone on your travel list is no joke. It has happened more than once. If you travel on a buddy pass from a friend, BEHAVE!!!!!
                      Bite me Airways.....

Comment

its amazing how some of these buddy pass riders act, too! they never seem to understand that they are using someone elses privilege, and how they act reflects on them.
                        Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

Ouch, can't wait for an AC employee to talk about the non-rev prices.

Prices on AC are crappy in comparison, but I suppose in comparison, everything else about AC is crappy too.

Comment

We (WN) also get a pair of incentive passes every 3 months for perfect attendance, that we can give away to anyone we choose. They're basically useless to employees because they're lower boarding priority that our non-rev passes. I give mine to my brother or grandparents. But if we give them to someone who misbehaves, we can get our flight privileges taken away!
                            Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

At jetBlue it is free for me, my parents and spouse. I get 2 buddy passes every quarter that I have perfect attendance. I also fly free on Southwest, Alaska, America West along with some others.

Comment

Working...
                              X