Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cathy Pacific plane with passengers on board waiitng for hours to continue the journe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cathy Pacific plane with passengers on board waiitng for hours to continue the journe

Weather Underground provides local & long-range weather forecasts, weather reports, maps & tropical weather conditions for locations worldwide

ok, so your arcane laws regarding "immigration" wont allow deplaning? fine. but force the replacement crew to take a ferry instead of flying?

Please use a more respectful language - thank you seahawk
    Last edited by seahawk; 2014-04-14, 12:34.

Dosent anyone moderate these forums? such language against anyplace should not be allowed more so as a thread title. Many would love to start a number of such post titles on USA but we refrain.

Oh the topic is because just because some Americans were inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
      Dosent anyone moderate these forums? such language against anyplace should not be allowed more so as a thread title. Many would love to start a number of such post titles on USA but we refrain.

Oh the topic is because just because some Americans were inconvenienced.
      quit cryin and post whatever you like about the USA. freedom of speech and opinion...

"some americans were inconvenienced?" you're assuming, which is never a good thing to do. there were 256 pax on that plane and i highly suspect that there were a good number of non-americans onboard.

having said that, i note that you failed to address the point of the post, so you must agree that the airline and officals acted stupidly. thank you!

Again: Watch your language please. - seahawk
      Last edited by seahawk; 2014-04-14, 12:35.

Comment

Surprising that Zhuhai was the used alternate, and not Macau.

Then again, weather hitting Hong Kong would affect Macau as well, but I would have thought it would cause issues at Zhuhai too.. Not too many other choices there that would have been any better. Taiwan would probably have been the next closest non-Chinese diversion area...

Bad situation all around, but hopefully somebody will come up with a solution for the next time something like this happens...

Comment

Regardless, I bet you wouldn't have cared a bit if the flight had' not originated in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
            Regardless, I bet you wouldn't have cared a bit if the flight had' not originated in the US.
            ass-umption again. the point is, well never mind. i'm not gonna waste my time explaining it to you.

Comment

There's also a bit of 'over-reaction' here as well. Yes, this was 'tragic' and/or inconvenient, and granted it did expose a flaw in the relationships between Hong Kong, and mainland PRC.

However consider mitigating circumstances:
              1). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuhai_Jinwan_Airport

Zhuhai airport does not contain direct air links with Hong Kong airport, and/or Cathay Pacific or Dragonair. Also, Zhuhai airport, at present, does not handle any international traffic (my guess is that all of that is being handled by Guangzhou's airport). Do they even have customs/immigration facilities there?

I understand that they wished to ferry an aircraft in, but in the PRC that would likely have caused it to have been approved by local government or other oversight leaders.

2). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piEayQ0T-qA

Above is a great video that discusses the 'one nation, two systems' rule and the complexities of Hong Kong/Macau/PRC relations. Keep in mind, that if I went from Hong Kong to Macau, then to the mainland, and then back to Hong Kong, I would have to have shown my passport at each stop. It's a bit ridiculous considering that this is happening within the context of a few square miles (and within one nation), but the Hong Kong government needed to defend it's immigration policy and so keeps the system alive (at least until the 'waiting period' is in effect).

3). This was an odd and extreme circumstance. Yes, failures abounded after - but still, it was not planned. It was, for intent, an emergency. Could the PRC's government, and the airport done a much better job of handling the situation - well that's tricky. There is an immigration issue at play. Whether or not you disagree, that issue is there. If there was not, the why did Cathay not just deplane the passengers in Zhuhai and bus them down to Hong Kong. It would have only been a fiasco and according to google maps it would have taken more than one day (1 day, 9 hours), using public transportation to get them home as all routes would have taken them up to Guangzhou, and then down into Hong Kong.

Yes, Macau airport is only a 16 miles away, but consider that it is in effect, another nation. If you allowed them to deplane and clear customs at Zhuhai (which might not be possible), then transport them to Macau, have them clear customs/immigration to enter that nation then await the ferry to arrive into Hong Kong. Even if you wanted to do that, it's going to take time to organize that whole process - and let's not forget - these passengers were provided with food, drinks and water. Yes, a hell of a wait, and admittedly one that I would have been pissed about if I were involved, but not an un-intelligible wait considering the circumstances.

4). Not much of a comfort - but if this had to happen to me, I would much rather it be on lovely Cathay, than most other airlines. You know, if you're going to be stranded - there are few ways that are nicer than that. A bad situation with a silver lining.
              Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by jkstark View Post
                Surprising that Zhuhai was the used alternate, and not Macau.

Then again, weather hitting Hong Kong would affect Macau as well, but I would have thought it would cause issues at Zhuhai too.. Not too many other choices there that would have been any better. Taiwan would probably have been the next closest non-Chinese diversion area...

Bad situation all around, but hopefully somebody will come up with a solution for the next time something like this happens...
                My thought was why not divert to Guangzhou, as it would be the only logical airport in PRC that would be close by, large enough to have interactions with Hong Kong and perhaps be able to expedite the egress of a large aircraft of passengers to get them back on their way. Yes, if weather is bad enough, Macau is used as an alternate, but I suspect that whatever was affecting Hong Kong caused enough traffic to divert to Guangzhou - thus needing alternates past that airport. Zhuhai is a good fit, theoretically as it hosts the Zhuhai airshow - but perhaps in the rush of the moment - this was not realized, it can be used as a tech-stop only, not an end point for these passengers. It's a weird or un-orthodox turn of events, but understandable and even logical given the circumstances.

Does anyone have a weather report from Hong Kong that day - or is there an information source that can display how many flights were affected/where they ended up diverting to?

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                  quit cryin and post whatever you like about the USA. freedom of speech and opinion...

"some americans were inconvenienced?" you're ass-uming, which is never a good thing to do. there were 256 pax on that plane and i highly suspect that there were a good number of non-americans onboard.

having said that, i note that you failed to address the point of the post, so you must agree that the chinese acted stupidly. thank you!
                  I want to start out by just saying that you're title, while you have a 'right' to publish it, is inflammatory. It was meant to insult. Keep in mind that the right to do so, is a fragile one, and hardly universal. Also, and I say this hoping that you can forgive me if I offend you - but it is also ignorant of the complicated situation logistically, an emergency, and potentially 4 states. It's a difficult and complex situation - and to accuse solely the PRC for the issue is ignorant of fact(s).

Comment

What is a little shocking about the title of this thread is - given a similar situation - how would you title this one;

In the Rochester incident, a Continental Airlines commuter jet bound for Minneapolis/St. Paul was diverted because of bad weather in Minneapolis. The aircraft reached Rochester about 12:30 a.m. But the passengers were forced to stay on the aircraft until 6:15 a.m. According to an Associated Press report, passengers complained that the plane stank because of its overwhelmed toilet.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2101607_2.html
                    Embraer (and by extension Brazil), either Minneapolis or Saint Paul, the state of Minnesota, the state of New York, the city of Rochester, the D.O.T., the U.S. Federal Government, Continental Airlines (now United - or Mesaba, who was owned wholly by Delta) or the handling company at that airport, the airport itself, the flight crew, some of the passengers themselves. Who should I send the "Hey YOU! Go **** yourself!" letters to here?

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                      What is a little shocking about the title of this thread is - given a similar situation - how would you title this one;

Embraer (and by extension Brazil), either Minneapolis or Saint Paul, the state of Minnesota, the state of New York, the city of Rochester, the D.O.T., the U.S. Federal Government, Continental Airlines (now United - or Mesaba, who was owned wholly by Delta) or the handling company at that airport, the airport itself, the flight crew, some of the passengers themselves. Who should I send the "Hey YOU! Go **** yourself!" letters to here?
                      go back and read what i wrote about those asshats back then.

everyoe here knows that i have zero tolerance for these incarcerations. i could give a crap less about airport facilities, weather, fuel etc. it's all BS. at the end of the day, these incarcerations are about not spending some money and more importantly, not giving a shit about the people trapped on the plane.

oh and just btw, it was meant as an insult.

Comment

Shame that this title is still kept by site, no ethics, I used to hate a.net for their over moderating but have gained new respect for them now, even a title there saying XYZ dumps (country name) was edited by a mod, though it wasn't offensive but was turned to XYZ leaves or quits or pulls out of, something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post

What's the state of New York got to do with this, anyhow?

Comment

I trust that the sanitised title meets with approval ?

...and it wasn't me with the detergent !
                            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                              I trust that the sanitised title meets with approval ?

...and it wasn't me with the detergent !
                              a bit soft.

but at least now LUNN can quit whimpering ans sniffling...

Comment

Working...
                              X