Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yemeni Airliner Down in Comoros (Indian Ocean)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yemeni Airliner Down in Comoros (Indian Ocean)

MORONI (Reuters) - An airliner belonging to Yemeni state carrier Yemenia Air crashed in the Indian Ocean archipelago of Comoros with 150 people on board, a senior government official said Tuesday. "We don't know if there are any survivors among the 150 people on the plane," Comoros vice-president Idi Nadhoim told Reuters from the airport at the main island's capital Moroni.

It looks (not confirmed) like the flight is IY627 from Moroni to Sana'a scheduled to be an Airbus A310.

Oh no. Not again!!

Comment

Per CNN it is an A310.

Comment

AN airliner with 150 people on board belonging to Yemeni state carrier Yemenia Air has crashed in the Indian Ocean archipelago of Comoros, a senior government official said.
        "We don't know if there are any survivors among the 150 people on the plane," Comoros vice-president Idi Nadhoim said from the airport at the main island's capital Moroni.
        Nadhoim said the accident happened in the early hours today, but could not give any more details.
        The location was not immediately known, but a medical worker in the town of Mitsamiouli, on the main island Grande Comore, said he had been called into the local hospital.
        "They have just called me to come to the hospital. They said a plane had crashed," he told Reuters.
        A Comoran police source said the plane was believed to have come down in the sea.
        "We really have no sea rescue capabilities," he said.

Last edited by wannabe_A&P_girl; 2009-07-01, 13:45. Reason: edit article

Comment

i hope for the best that they will find survivors, and things will go well

yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

Comment

Reuters

A little bit more text from Reuters, plus a picture of the area:

Comment

Originally posted by Tomtom View Post
              A hijacked Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 767 crashed into the sea off the Comoros islands in 1996, killing 125 of 175 passengers and crew
              That's why I recognize the name. I thought it sounded familiar.

Comment

Additional info from cnn.com

Yemenia Flight 626 left Sanaa at 9:30 p.m. for what was expected to be a 4½-hour flight. The airline has three regular flights per week to Moroni, off the east coast of Africa about 2,900 kilometers (1,800 miles) south of Yemen.

Comment

DUBAI (Reuters) - A total of 153 people were on board a Yemen Airways aircraft that crashed in the waters of the Indian Ocean archipelago of Comoros on Tuesday, an airline official said.
                  "Not yet," the official told Reuters when asked whether the airline had information about survivors, adding that the 142 passengers included nationals of France and the Comoros.
                  The Airbus 310 aircraft that also carried an 11-strong crew was in route from Sanaa to Moroni, in the Comoros, said the official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Comment

An Airbus A310 belonging to Yemenia, the state airline of the Arabian peninsula nation of Yemen, crashed early Tuesday morning off the coast of Comoros, an archipelago nation jetting into the stretch of sea between Mozambique and Madagascar, Reuters is reporting. All 150 passengers and crew aboard the plane are believed to be dead.
                    The flight, IY627, which had taken off from Paris Monday morning, making an intermediate stop in Sana'a, Yemen's capital, before setting out for Moroni, the capital of Comoros. It is believed that the plane went down during its final descent. The control tower, it is reported, had received notification of the plane's approach, but lost contact shortly thereafter. Search and rescue crews have been dispatched to comb an area of coastline between the airport and Ntsaoueni, a small village nearby. No survivors have been found as of yet.

Last edited by wannabe_A&P_girl; 2009-07-01, 13:46. Reason: edit article

Comment

OK, this is just a hypothesis, but I think it is this plane based on a passenger on that route remembers this registration 7O-ADJ and it seems to be the only one that stays in the area and doesn't travel to London, Paris.

Comment

Some media sites are saying it was an A330, not an A310.

I suspect one dolt just decided A330 sounds better in the light of AF447 and it spread to other news outlets.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
                          Some media sites are saying it was an A330, not an A310.

I suspect one dolt just decided A330 sounds better in the light of AF447 and it spread to other news outlets.
                          Yeah, I noticed that as well.

Comment

acars db

This is what the ACARS DB @ acarsd.org spits out:

20090629 - Flight ID: IY????
                            ACARS mode: 1 Aircraft reg: 7O-ADJ [Airbus A310]
                            Message label: ** Block id: @ Msg no: 0198
                            Flight id: IY0813 [AUH-ADE--SAH-] [Yemenia]
                            Message content:-
                            SBS-1 Callsign: IYE813
                            ----------------------------------------------------------[ 29/06/2009 14:42 ]-

ACARS mode: 1 Aircraft reg: 7O-ADJ [Airbus A310]
                            Message label: ** Block id: @ Msg no: 00e0
                            Flight id: IY0812 [SAH--ADE--AUH] [Yemenia]
                            SBS-1 Callsign: IYE812
                            ----------------------------------------------------------[ 29/06/2009 12:20 ]-

ACARS mode: 1 Aircraft reg: 7O-ADT [Airbus A330]
                            Message label: ** Block id: @ Msg no: 521d
                            Flight id: IY0748 [SAH--CDG-MRS] [Yemenia]
                            SBS-1 Callsign: IYE748
                            ----------------------------------------------------------[ 29/06/2009 05:54 ]-

No data on the 30th (all times in Zulu)

Tom

Comment

This may explain the mixup of A-310 v. A-330

According to preliminary information from Paris Airports press service, a Yemenia Air Airbus 330 flew on Monday from Paris to San'a, with 147 passengers and 11 crew on board.

After landing in the Yemeni capital, the passengers disembarked and those destined for Comoros switched planes. Sixty-seven of the original passengers were flying on to Moroni, according to the press service.

Source:

Yemen’s child soldiers are the country’s ‘lost boys,’ facing a long road of rehab after sexual abuse at the front lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X