Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
    that public door your were talking about...
    I'll take just one guess: Swings both ways?

Comment

hey new guy (relatively) maybe it's your attitude. people here disagree all the time. your tone sucks though.
      That's rich, from the guy who was adamant that AA did not get 38 million from insurers for AA-191. IIRC, you called it "Web flora". Check your facts before you consider my "tone" is all wrong. There is too much "I am pilot, therefore I am God" on this sub-forum. It needs to be curtailed.

Comment

• Flight191.... You are about .... oooh, THIS FAR >< from a ban. Get back to to the subject matter or leave.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Lets; make this quite clear to EVERYBODY in this thread.

The subject is the missing Malaysian 777 and where it, and more importantly the 239 souls aboard might be. That subject has faded into a plethora of personal atttacks and accusations, probably because of the lack of subjective information from the "authorities" leading to a stalled thread.
          It might be better to close this thread and re-open it when more positive information is made available in the media.

For now however it will stay open.....but don't for one second think that I will not act on agitators within the ranks. This is your final warning.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• The frustration from shaky information, a stray ping etc. over the weeks takes a toll on everyone.

Sounds like the folks from Oz are gaining.
            Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

• Thank you Brian (From the stands)

Comment

• It still bothers me that, despite having located the area where the recorders are supposedly resting, no debris whatsoever has been recovered. I would have felt more confident if something had come afloat or washed up somewhere. All the seat cushions and backrests lined in brightly coloured fabric, some baggage, life jackets, just one tiny piece would have been enough evidence.
                So, maybe the airframe sunk more or less in one piece-? That would of course facilitate the recovery of essential evidence. It would possibly be one of the few air accidents over water, not counting Sully's Hudson river ditching, where the airframe remained largely intact. Given the circumstances this does not seem likely. Still one heck of a mystery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Passion for flying View Post
                  It still bothers me that, despite having located the area where the recorders are supposedly resting, no debris whatsoever has been recovered. I would have felt more confident if something had come afloat or washed up somewhere. All the seat cushions and backrests lined in brightly coloured fabric, some baggage, life jackets, just one tiny piece would have been enough evidence.
                  So, maybe the airframe sunk more or less in one piece-? That would of course facilitate the recovery of essential evidence. It would possibly be one of the few air accidents over water, not counting Sully's Hudson river ditching, where the airframe remained largely intact. Given the circumstances this does not seem likely. Still one heck of a mystery.
                  Certainly a mystery. But the records will show that this is far from the first large transport aircraft that has disappeared over water completely without trace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Passion for flying View Post
                    It still bothers me that, despite having located the area where the recorders are supposedly resting, no debris whatsoever has been recovered. I would have felt more confident if something had come afloat or washed up somewhere. All the seat cushions and backrests lined in brightly coloured fabric, some baggage, life jackets, just one tiny piece would have been enough evidence.
                    The difference between this and previous "crashed in the ocean" accidents is that previous events had a better starting point to look for the crash site from the outset. Not only did it take them a week to finally work out where it went, a cyclone passed through the area. But like you I suspect the airframe did not disintegrate as we have seen before, see the Asiana crash where they cartwheeled but the frame stayed more or less in one piece. The 777 looks like its a real battle ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Theoddkiwi View Post
                      The difference between this and previous "crashed in the ocean" accidents is that previous events had a better starting point to look for the crash site from the outset. Not only did it take them a week to finally work out where it went, a cyclone passed through the area. But like you I suspect the airframe did not disintegrate as we have seen before, see the Asiana crash where they cartwheeled but the frame stayed more or less in one piece. The 777 looks like its a real battle ship.
                      Perhaps now the pings have died the oceanographers will study currents from the recent ping areas to study where debris might have drifted to.

I am sure the MAL 777 would have broken up more than the SFO 777 given that the plane would have submerged sequentially resulting in large airframe stresses.

Comment

• Originally posted by flight191 View Post
                        That's rich, from the guy who was adamant that AA did not get 38 million from insurers for AA-191. IIRC, you called it "Web flora". Check your facts before you consider my "tone" is all wrong. There is too much "I am pilot, therefore I am God" on this sub-forum. It needs to be curtailed.
                        check what i wrote a bit more carefully...

Comment

• Makes things difficult when the course of a plane departs radically from a flight plan.

Comment

• On Apr 14th 2014 the JACC announced that there have been no signal detections since Tuesday last week (Apr 8th), however, the four signal detections by ADV Ocean Shield so far permit to identify a reduced and manageable search area on the ocean floor. The detections by Haixun 01 and by the RAAF AP-3C Orion Aircraft have been discounted as credible transmissions. The JACC has therefore decided to end the search with the towed pinger locator today (Apr 14th) and deploy the Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) Bluefin-21 as soon as possible, possibly in the evening of Apr 14th already. The AUV will need 2 hours to get down to the ocean floor, will operate 16 hours at the ocean floor and take again 2 hours to return to the surface. It will then take 4 hours to download and assess the data, a mission will thus take a total of 24 hours. The first mission is scheduled to search an area of 8000 by 5000 meters (40 square kilometers) on the ocean floor. The AUV uses in sight pulse sonar, transmitting and receiving a sonar pulse permitting to create a threedimensional map of the ocean floor. ADV Ocean Shield has detected an oil slick on Apr 13th in her search area, a sample of about two liters was taken and is being brought ashore for laboratory analysis. The JACC stated: "I stress the source of the oil is yet to be determined but the oil slick is approximately 5,500 metres down-wind and down-sea from the vicinity of the detections picked up by the Towed Pinger Locator on Ocean Shield."
                            Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• news of the slick is interesting. how much oil is onboard a 777? as in used in the engines

Comment

news of the slick is interesting. how much oil is onboard a 777? as in used in the engines
                                There is also hydraulic fluid that might leave a slick.

Comment

Working...
                                X