Sukhoi Superjet missing in Indonesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as reported by 'Russian Times':

A Russian jet carrying 50 passengers has disappeared from the radars during a demonstration flight for potential buyers in the Indonesian capital. Hijacking and a high-altitude crash into a mountain have not been ruled out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmitry View Post
      May 6, SSJ-100 rolled out of the runway in Kazan
      May 9, SSJ-100 disappeared in Indonesia

oh God, what's going on?
      Low visibility was reported, but they have EGPWS on board.
      Too much time has passed already. But let's hope for the better. At least for the survivors.
      They were cleared from 10,000' to 6,000'. In many countries, ATC is responsible for TRAFFIC separation only, not TERRAIN separation, thus they can clear you down to whatever altitude you ask for assuming there is no traffic. They expect the pilot to maintain his own terrain clearance.

EGPWS is a wonderful tool for situational awareness, but it cannot help when the terrain elevation change exceeds aircraft climb capability.

In a situation where he was descending in a turn, it's conceivable he turned toward higher terrain. A second concern is that, depending how fast he was descending, he couldn't transition from a descent to a climb fast enough, losing several hundred more feet before beginning a climb.

My thoughts and prayers are with those onboard and their families.
      The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Originally posted by snydersnapshots View Post
        EGPWS is a wonderful tool for situational awareness, but it cannot help when the terrain elevation change exceeds aircraft climb capability.
        Yes, sure. Now there're rumors that RA-97004 wasn't equipped with EGPWS.
        Air crashes don't just happen... www.aircrash.ucoz.net

Comment

The large-scale search has been suspended until Thursday morning. Ground operation in the probable site of the crash will continue at night.

Comment

ABC-news:

Get breaking national and world news, broadcast video coverage, and exclusive interviews. Find the top news online at ABC news.

Comment

Originally posted by snydersnapshots View Post
              They were cleared from 10,000' to 6,000'. In many countries, ATC is responsible for TRAFFIC separation only, not TERRAIN separation, thus they can clear you down to whatever altitude you ask for assuming there is no traffic. They expect the pilot to maintain his own terrain clearance.
              CFIT certainly seems plausible here. Or stall trying to climb out of it. If so, there won't be much chance of survivors. Let's hope it's not that.

Comment

Looks like they found it...

Rescuers south of Indonesia’s Jakarta have discovered several bodies at the crash site of a Russian Sukhoi SuperJet-100, which dropped off the radar during a demonstration flight on Wednesday. No survivors were found at the remote mountain location.

Comment

R i p

Comment

nothing left of it
                    moving quickly in air

Comment

the last landing and take off
                      Your life is the best story! Just start your blog today!

Rip...

Comment

The wreckage is on the vertical slope.

Comment

It seems unreal to me that a modern airliner can crash into the side of a mountain? Wouldn't I know that mountain was there if I had my phone on with gps on and google maps going?

Shouldn't there be something a little better than that technology for a passener plane?

Comment

As soon as I heard the details Pan Am Flight 812 came to mind.

Does anyone have the coordinates?
                            AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
                            the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Originally posted by fmedina View Post
                              It seems unreal to me that a modern airliner can crash into the side of a mountain? Wouldn't I know that mountain was there if I had my phone on with gps on and google maps going?

Shouldn't there be something a little better than that technology for a passener plane?
                              The technologyarts is with us to warn of terrain and was no doubt fitted to the Sukhoi. It's very good but there are two things it doesn't do.

1. It doesn't stop us getting into dangerous altitudes and...
                              2. Once there, it doesn't open the throttles and pull up out of danger.

You can have all the high tech gear in the world available but if the pilot doesn't respond appropriately or the aircraft no longer has the performance to get out of trouble then that's it.....you're toast !
                              This incident certainly looks like a CFIT situation. The crash site indicates powered flight into the near vertical wall of the mountain. It must have been one hell of an impact as reports say that the deceased have been reduced to small parts.
                              May those lost RIP.
                              Last edited by brianw999; 2012-05-10, 08:42.
                              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                                This incident certainly looks like a CFIT situation. The crash site indicates powered flight into the near vertical wall of the mountain. It must have been one hell of an impact as reports say that the deceased have been reduced to small parts.
                                May those lost RIP.
                                Except for this:

Originally posted by Aviation Herald
                                The coordinator of the rescue operation said, that the aircraft appeared relatively intact from the air however has received substantial damage after leaving a trail away from the crater down the slope
                                The would indicate that this was not a head-on CFIT. But then there is a crater...

Witnesses report dense fog at the time. The crash apparently happened about 1.5km from the point of last transmission, so only seconds later. CFIT would be the most obvious theory. Is is possible that this aircraft did not have GPS and EGWPS installed and/or functional at the time? Is this a case of you-get-what-you=pay-for? How does this happen to a 21st-century GPS-equipped jet piloted by a Capt with 10,000 hours? Once again, I'm miffed.

Comment

Working...
                                X