What's the Record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Record?

As we sit in the midst of the quietest period on the aviation safety forum certainly since I registered on this site (indeed, one might even say the place has been given up for dead) a few thoughts come to mind:

- It can only be a good thing that there have been so few noteworthy accidents to discuss of late, at least in this part of the world, and that even the conspiracy theorists must have returned to discussing the lower astral plane rather than aeroplanes. (This site doesn't recognize the word aeroplane, what?)

- What is the longest period of time we have gone in the United States between fatalities involving commercial airliners? Since the last one I can remember is Colgan, I wonder if this is now the new record?

- I can't help but think that we've been lucky, and that somewhere out there are pilots who are waking up in the middle of the night saying, "I can't believe we came out of that one in one piece."

- This might be a good time to consider amnesty to some previously banned members who brought with them some entertaining insights - they might breathe some life into the old place anyway. I'm speaking here not of the exiled trolls, but of a few pilots who showed signs of impulse control disorder but who still provided good reading material.

Well, back to work. Hopefully there will continue to be not much to discuss for the foreseeable future.

we are only 72 days into it which is not long at all, now if we are talking pax, yes, 1323 days and going strong since colgan is by far the longest safe gap ever, followed by the immediately preceding gap of 900 days between lexington and colgan, followed by 832 days between usair 405 and 1016...
    moving quickly in air

Comment

but who's counting?

Comment

Originally posted by orangehuggy View Post
        we are only 72 days into it which is not long at all, now if we are talking pax, yes, 1323 days and going strong since colgan is by far the longest safe gap ever, followed by the immediately preceding gap of 900 days between lexington and colgan, followed by 832 days between usair 405 and 1016...
        What was the one 72 days ago?

Comment

fatality involving commercial aircraft in the US 73 days ago:
          Use this forum to discuss aviation safety related incidents, accidents, and other aspects of aviation safety.
          moving quickly in air

Comment

Originally posted by orangehuggy View Post
            fatality involving commercial aircraft in the US 73 days ago:
            http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=54211
            I'm thinking the OP was talking about a legitimate accident, not a fatality caused by attempted theft followed shortly thereafter by self-inflicted high-speed lead poisoning...
            The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

I know that's why most of my reply post concentrated on answering the implied question, thanks!
              moving quickly in air

Comment

Wasnt 2011 the first year without a passenger fatality in commercial aviation in the western world?

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesin View Post
                  Wasnt 2011 the first year without a passenger fatality in commercial aviation in the western world?
                  Don't think so. This happen in 2011 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx2_Flight_7100
                  “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

also First Air Flight 6560
                    moving quickly in air

Comment

Working...
                    X