No announcement yet.

Information wanted on Western Airlines flight 2605

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you garner from that article that 23L was lit and 23R was not?

Was 23L lit with work lights? Or just with standard runway lights?

The holes in this story/report are amazingly glaring. Thank goodness there were no Polish VIP's on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      The article says 23L was lit.

It seems crazy for the field to have been using a localizer on a runway with heavy equipment moving around, as they would create signal distortions. Perhaps this is why they landed left of the runway. But then the pilots also acknowledged that they were a bit left of track. There's no question that this was pilot error, as they should never have continued the approach when they became confused (and low on the glideslope). The question in my mind is whether this was an error in continuing an unstable approach on purpose or a failed a go-around attempt. Although key parts of the CVR are missing, it seems to me like it could have been the latter.
      They had not advanced the throttles by when they hit the runway (well, the unpaved shoulder).

It's not just like they busted the minimums of 600ft, they descended all the way to the ground without seeing anything and without calling the altitudes.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
        Do you garner from that article that 23L was lit and 23R was not?

Was 23L lit with work lights? Or just with standard runway lights?

The holes in this story/report are amazingly glaring. Thank goodness there were no Polish VIP's on it.

The controllers says,"Approach lights are on 23 left, but that runway is closed to traffic".

Speaking of conspiracy, what seems a bit odd is that the original tower recordings were never released, only a transcript and on the transcript, when the tower clearly indicates that 23L is closed, the readback on the CVR does not mention this. I think there is one other instance of this in there. So the readbacks don't match the tower remarks. Of course, this could simply be due to fatigue and/or poor discipline, but it makes you wonder...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
          You can also try to find a copy of David Grayson '"Terror in the Skies", published by W.H.Allen (London, England, 1989), which has a chapter dealing with that particular accident.
          I've managed to find a copy in an Op-shop, just had a quick look, seems to be quoting the ATC transcript only. Not happy that he does not give sources.

Especially after locating another message board thread that hints at possible CRM problems. (Reply 22 by MAV75)

Comment

Working...
          X