Iraqi Airways get an A340

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi Airways get an A340

Reported by ch-aviation an ex-Hifly A340-600 the only variant operated by the carrier, has been taken up by IA the aircraft was flown from Brussels to Baghdad earlier in the month.

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
    Reported by ch-aviation an ex-Hifly A340-600 the only variant operated by the carrier, has been taken up by IA the aircraft was flown from Brussels to Baghdad earlier in the month.
    Long haul routes to the U.S.? Or, flights to the far East?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

No idea with the current situation there, but they plan on adding two more of these and/or A330s.

Comment

No idea with the current situation there,
        Sweet Jesus, how things have changed. I mean, I have to wonder how anyone can plan for a future national carrier when the nation itself is changing like this.

but they plan on adding two more of these and/or A330s.
        I guess the routes to Iran might pick up, but I can't see anywhere else seeing these birds anytime soon.

Comment

Saudi too but I think ties are not normal anymore even though they are Arabs, thpugh Iranian carriers do fly there despite strained relations and animosity, weird.

Two ex-Virgin A346 also going to the airline.

Comment

Saudi too but I think ties are not normal anymore even though they are Arabs, thpugh Iranian carriers do fly there despite strained relations and animosity, weird.

Iran Air has been flying to many Arab destinations for years, especially in the Gulf. Commercial relations have long been strong, and Iranians are pragmatic people, whatever the antics of their government.

I don't see much future for Iraqi Airways at present, but one never knows. Iraqis are also pragmatic people, and Baghdad is a large economic powerhouse pulling in people from many parts of the world, so there will always be demand for flights to/from Baghdad given sustained stability, whatever the shape and form of any future "Iraq".

Comment

The A346s are an interesting, and perhaps smart choice - other carriers might be willing to shed them (due to fuel efficiency) it might not be as much of an issue with IA and the Iraqi Government (though, what will be left of the latter remains to be seen).

The A346s are going to be configured with 45 Business, and 263 Coach seats.

Is it possible that these aircraft are just being taken up as they wait for the 787s? Or, are they here to stay?

Comment

I can't think of a more useless aircraft to Iraqi Airways than an A340-600. I assume the capital costs of acquisition and/or lease costs overcome the clunker aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                  I can't think of a more useless aircraft to Iraqi Airways than an A340-600. I assume the capital costs of acquisition and/or lease costs overcome the clunker aspects.
                  That was my thought too, and for a carrier to whom fuel costs are not a massive inconvenience, the plane might find a good home. Here's to hoping that things in Iraq stabilize enough to see these birds actually used.

Comment

Two of the 340s might be going to Al Nasser Air.

Comment

Working...
                    X