777 Crash and Fire at SFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• now THIS is an abuse of the legal system:

Asiana Airlines says it will proceed with legal action against TV station, but not against the National Transportation Safety Board.

Comment

• I'm not sure it'll go very far but the network was out of line.

Comment

• The TV station called the NTSB for verification and were given same by an unpaid intern. They thought they had done their due diligence. Now we can always speak to the idiocy of how many people at the TV station didn't sound out the names and figure it out. I doubt this suit will succeed.

Comment

• That intern is way beyond screwed !!

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
            now THIS is an abuse of the legal system:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/15/travel...html?hpt=hp_t2
            Well yes... but it is about time that televised news media got bitch-slapped for having lost all integrity in fact-checking in the interest of fast reporting. I'd rather this was a class-action suit from the American people (yes, I'm kidding).

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
              Well yes... but it is about time that televised news media got bitch-slapped for having lost all integrity in fact-checking in the interest of fast reporting. I'd rather this was a class-action suit from the American people (yes, I'm kidding).
              As one who works in that business (not news anymore but still...), they're just giving people what they say they want. And the simple reality is that whoever's first to break with whatever tidbit will have that tidbit associated with them and be seen as having their finger on the pulse of what's important. And in the rush to be first-to-air, divots of common sense get lost along the way, leading to clangers like this one which will in turn be associated with the station and the news reader.

Arrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrow View Post
                As one who works in that business (not news anymore but still...), they're just giving people what they say they want. And the simple reality is that whoever's first to break with whatever tidbit will have that tidbit associated with them and be seen as having their finger on the pulse of what's important. And in the rush to be first-to-air, divots of common sense get lost along the way, leading to clangers like this one which will in turn be associated with the station and the news reader.

Arrow
                And still so many people trust them for information. It boggles the mind.

This just in: KTVU is deliberating a settlement with Asiana's law firm of record, Wi, Su, Yoo and How.

Comment

This just in: KTVU is deliberating a settlement with Asiana's law firm of record, Wi, Su, Yoo and How.
                  haha! careful man, ktvu may sue YOU for disseminating false information.

Comment

Given an appropriate span of time, accuracy isn't a problem. The trouble is the ADHD, 'gotta have it this instant' expectation of the viewing public. That said, someone in the organisation should've caught that and that they didn't speaks to the quality of the particular station.

Arrow

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                      haha! careful man, ktvu may sue YOU for disseminating false information.
                      Indeed. I have it on the best authority that the attorneys of record are from Dewey, Cheatum and Howe.

Arrow

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        It was not 100% pure BS (hint, absolute statements are almost always wrong). Oh yeah, he stirred the pot, and could be brutal- but often times the brutality was deserved (see footnote Boeing Bobby). And if folks take everything on an obscure aviation forum infested with photographers and parlour talkers overly seriously, they need a reality pill.
                        Yeah, we are just talking/discussing/speculating, but it is usually intelligent and informative. I won't mention ITS's pictures of neanderthals, but a great example was AF447's tailfin. In the end, the thing either separated or didn't. Also we ca have a "maybe it did", or "there is absolutely no logical reason to suggest it did". I'm no expert, but when I saw ITS's tailfin comparison, I immediately saw the difference, which would rule out a similarity with AA587. That's that, I don't care what he knows, what he flies, how many hours he has, etc. In the end you have to prove your theory with evidence, not with experience in something else. And this is the interesting part - people sometimes (very blindly) listen to the "authority in something", without ever using their own brain. Just look at the story with the Asiana pilot names!
                        So yeah, I would say it is sometimes pure BS, or in fact trolling. People, no matter how competent and in what field, will sometimes push their absurd theories for emotional reasons, not logical ones. I had a very similar experience regarding this very Asiana 777 crash on a news forum. Kinda goes like this: Troll says: "777 crashes are classic" and then mentions all incidents, like single engine malfunctions, and of course the BA 777 dual engine failure at LHR. I say "those are small incidents and the LHR incident was caused by ice blockage", also mentioning it was a very controlled landing, very different from Asiana's. Troll says: "You call this controlled?" - posts picture of the BA 777 with damage and broken gear, then claims the 777 has "a major flaw" because its engines are "bad", posting more ridiculous incidents, such as severe turbulence encounters, saying they are still "a serious matter". I say "the Asiana 777 could not have lost its engines in the final seconds, like BA's, because the speed was so slow, it suggests a deceleration starting at least half a minute prior". He says "similar thing happened in 2005 near Perth" (ADIRU incident).
                        As for BoeingBobby and lashing out, I think we all can say stupid things sometimes. If he, or anyone else is really so knowledgeable and respected, they should do the respectful thing (as BB has been lately) and just correct, explain, share that knowledge. No reason to be brutal, unless someone is persisting in their ignorance with a multi-page campaign, or unless you are being trolled (but then you'll get even more trolled).

Comment

• CNN: Victims of the Asiana Flight #214 crash have filed a lawsuit against Boeing and Asiana Airlines.

Interesting how they're trying to pin this on Boeing so early. 83 pax suing Boeing alone according to the Los Angeles Times.
                          AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
                          the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

• Boeing has the super-deep pockets, so the lawyers are naturally going to include them, even aim most directly at them. But this seems SO much like a stupid piloting gaff that I can't see any jury signing on to the idea that Boeing should have prevented this. The lawsuits aren't exactly what the stock price needs right now, with the fires. Just shows how easily you can go, as a company, from reveling in new plane orders to being an international goat. Well, the fingers will be pointing in all directions. Meanwhile, safety authorities will try to pour oil on trouble waters.

Comment

• Good to see that at least someone is following the standard procedure

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                                "But my friend's husband is a pilot and he told me and that makes me qualified."

YHGTBKM!

OK, I GUESS WE ARE GONNA HAVE TO DO THIS BECAUSE YOU COULDN'T LISTEN TO THE GOOD ADVICE GABRIEL GAVE TO YOU.

That's not what I said, Pompous. Go back and read.

What you are trying to do is have a mine-is-bigger contest with the dudes around here.

I don't give a shit how much experience you have. You are trying to pick fights and throw your weight around.

You asked if I was qualified, I answered you.

I also mentioned that my good friend's husband is a pilot and we both agreed. He flies Boeing jets just like you. OR DO YOU? IRL?

I'm really starting to think you are fourteen years old on FSX.

In any case, grow up, have civil conversations. There are always people that ask questions because they want to learn. I always want to learn more. That's why I appreciate people like Gabriel who take the time to answer. If you have knowledge, you should share it with others.

If you are just going to be a grumpy asshat, then go to that other forum. If you are a troll on FSX, then just go away.
                                I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Comment

Working...
                                X