• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft announces: Microsoft Flight

The Next version of Microsoft Flight (Simulator) has been announced:

For more information please visit: http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/
    Found on: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsot-...-the-simulator

Microsoft Heralds a New Age of Gaming With “Age of Empires Online”
    New franchise installment joins exciting PC lineup of LIVE-enabled titles from Microsoft Game Studios.

COLOGNE, Germany — Aug. 17, 2010 — On the eve of gamescom 2010, the world’s largest consumer-oriented games showcase, Microsoft Corp. unveiled the newest addition to the famed “Age of Empires” franchise, “Age of Empires Online.” Microsoft also announced the development of “Microsoft Flight,” a new entry inspired by the best-selling “Microsoft Flight Simulator” franchise. Published by Microsoft Game Studios, these new titles, along with the previously announced “Fable III,” fully integrate the free* Games for Windows – LIVE online service to deliver compelling socially connected gameplay experiences.

“Today, we’re bringing powerful, inventive gaming experiences to the Windows-based PC,” said Phil Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. “Over the years, our PC heritage captured the hearts and minds of millions of players. Reinventing these iconic franchises with social, shared experiences at their core marks the beginning of our return to PC gaming in bold new ways.”

“Introducing “Microsoft Flight”

Twenty-eight years after the debut of “Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0,” Microsoft Game Studios also announced the internal development of “Microsoft Flight,” a new Windows exclusive. “Microsoft Flight” will bring a new perspective to the long-standing genre, welcoming everyone, including long-time fans, to experience the magic of flight.

A teaser of the future of Flight on the Windows-based PC is available at http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight.

Powered by Games for Windows – LIVE

All three titles are designed with Games for Windows – LIVE at the core, delivering a seamless online gaming experience from start to finish. Log in with a single identity to earn Achievements and up your Gamerscore across Games for Windows – LIVE and Xbox LIVE. See your friends online, send and receive voice messages, text messages and game invites, and enjoy cross-platform communication. You even receive automatic game updates and the ability to extend the experience with Game Add-ons only found on the Games for Windows – LIVE Marketplace.

Additional information, screenshots and trailers for “Age of Empires Online,” “Microsoft Flight,” and “Fable III” are available at the Microsoft gamescom press site at http://xbox.com/en-GB/press.

About Microsoft Game Studios

Microsoft Game Studios is a leading worldwide publisher and developer of games for the Xbox 360 video game console, Windows-based PC and Windows Phone 7. Comprising a network of top developers, Microsoft Game Studios is committed to creating an innovative and diverse gaming portfolio across all platforms, including such landmark franchises as “Halo” and “Age of Empires.”

About Games for Windows – LIVE

Games for Windows – LIVE is a free online gaming service that lets you connect and play with your friends and more than 25 million global Xbox LIVE members. It’s a world-class online gaming network that offers online matchmaking using the patented TrueSkill enhanced matchmaking system. The service offers text and voice messaging across Games for Windows – LIVE and Xbox LIVE. In addition, consumers can easily discover, view, and purchase full game titles and game add-ons through the Games for Windows – LIVE Marketplace at http://www.gamesforwindows.com. For more information and updates on the latest games and add-on content available, follow the Games for Windows – LIVE Twitter account, join the Facebook page, or subscribe to the RSS feed.

About Microsoft

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
    * Broadband Internet required.

For more information, press only:

Cindy Davidson, Edelman, (206) 268-2258, [email protected]
    Whitney Strong, Edelman, (206) 505-6567, [email protected]

Note to editors: For more information, news and perspectives from Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft News Center at http://www.microsoft.com/news. Web links, telephone numbers and titles were correct at time of publication, but may have changed. For additional assistance, journalists and analysts may contact Microsoft’s Rapid Response Team or other appropriate contacts listed at http://www.microsoft.com/news/contactpr.mspx.
    Last edited by Derice; 2010-08-17, 14:16.
    My Travels across the globe
    Pictures I am proud of

Nice teaser. Guess its time to buy a 4ghz processor.

Comment

for me, it's time for a new computer
      I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Comment

i need to worry about a new pc first, a old school intel P4, ain't going to cut it, hahaha, i doubt i can even run fsx let alone fs9

yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

Comment

The Microsoft Flight Website has been update with some additional information on this 'game':

Q: What is "Microsoft Flight?"
          A: "Microsoft Flight" is a new PC game from Microsoft Game Studios. The new title will be available on the Games for Windows - LIVE service and will bring a new perspective to the long-standing "Flight Simulator" franchise. From new game play elements and enhanced scenery and terrain to new aircraft and integrated content marketplace, it is an entirely new breed of virtual flight. The Games for Windows - LIVE platform sets the stage for all your virtual flight needs while connecting you to a global base of users, content and endless exploration. Microsoft Flight builds off its heritage of deep, immersive simulation and is redesigned to make the experience easier for virtual fliers of all interests and skills.

Q: How does “Microsoft Flight” differ from “Flight Simulator?” Why the new name? What’s changed?
          A: With “Microsoft Flight” we’re approaching the virtual flight genre from the ground up, with the focus on the universal appeal of the experience of Flight. We believe the simplicity of “Microsoft Flight” perfectly captures that vision while welcoming the millions of existing Flight Simulator fans. The new “Microsoft Flight” retains the full fidelity simulation longtime fans have come to expect while offering all players a whole new look and feel, a wide range of new game play and challenges, persistent experiences and social connectivity.

Q: How does Games for Windows – LIVE factor in?
          A: Games for Windows – LIVE introduces a new level of connectivity to virtual flight, enhancing both the social and game play experiences of the title. Content is updated virtually. You can fly solo or join an entire global flight community online. You can easily connect with and facilitate flight experiences with your friends. The addition of Games for Windows - LIVE creates an ubiquitous virtual world of flight that offers easy and engaging access to the magic of flight for all.

Q: Who is developing “Microsoft Flight” now that ACES is gone?
          A: “Microsoft Flight” is being developed internally at Microsoft by a team that includes many of the same creative minds that helped deliver countless entries in the “Flight Simulator” franchise.

Q: Why did Microsoft shut down ACES Studio last January?
          A: Microsoft Game Studios is always evaluating its business model to determine what is best for both gamers and the company. Many factors were considered in the difficult decision to close ACES Studio, but we feel the 2009 closure helped us better align with our goals and long-term development plans. "Microsoft Flight" is being developed by many of the same creative minds that shaped "Microsoft Flight Simulator," and we're excited about delivering a new take on this classic franchise.
          Experience the new generation of games and entertainment with Xbox. Play Xbox games and stream video on all your devices.
          My Travels across the globe
          Pictures I am proud of

Comment

Additionally to the new information about 'FLIGHT' provided by Microsoft, a comparison between FSX and the new simulator is also available, done by Avsim:

For anyone who doesn't think Flight looks much better than FSX, here is a comparison to prove you wrong.

The FSX shot was taken with terrain settings maxed out. If you open each screenshot in a new tab and flip back and fourth between them, you'll see that different parts of them almost match up. (I did my best at lining up the FSX shot)
            Source: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/322037-...6#entry1898346

Comment

And those new shots, provided by Microsoft:

Source: MS Flight

So it's quite looking nice, just wonder what impact this has on frame rates...

Comment

Any idea on the spec requirements?

Comment

I think it's far too early to talk about that. When I look at those pictures I fear they're much higher than they were on FSX, at least to play it at reasonable frame rates.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickphs View Post
                    And those new shots, provided by Microsoft:

Source: MS Flight

So it's quite looking nice, just wonder what impact this has on frame rates...
                    Maybe I'm too stupid, but I see 2 photo samples. One says "1 of 4", the other says "1 of 6". I can't go past the first photo on each sample...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                      Maybe I'm too stupid, but I see 2 photo samples. One says "1 of 4", the other says "1 of 6". I can't go past the first photo on each sample...
                      Hi,

strange I see all photos. Maybe a problem with the browser. But you can go to the Microsoft site, there the pictures should be available, too.

Greets,
                      Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by patrickphs View Post
                        Hi,

strange I see all photos. Maybe a problem with the browser. But you can go to the Microsoft site, there the pictures should be available, too.

Greets,
                        Patrick
                        Except that I am talking about the Microsoft site. I do see all the pictures in this forum.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                        X