Malaysia Airlines Loses Contact With 777 en Route to Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
    Can anyone follow up on this ? Is it possible an airline can pull up all data from a flight as it happens or has happened ?
    "All data", no. Some data.

There is a system that collects data of events that can be interesting for maintenance to know about in advance. There is a satellite datalink that, if available, will send this data almost in real time. If the datalink is not available when there is some data to send, the data will be stored and sent when the link becomes available again.

This system is event-based, not continuous streaming of parameters. For example, speed, altitude, etc are not reported. Failures of systems, cabin pressure outside the normal range, etc are reported.

In the AF447 case, we knew pretty quick that it was very likely an unreliable airspeed event thanks to that data.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Does anybody know when in Europe this topic was discussed for the first time, on (European) TV?

I ask because 03-08-2014 was a day when I was not watching the news for 24 hours... ...
      It must have been Saturday, somewhen before lunch (CET). Confirm?

Let me have a short glimpse on my watch, Sunday, 0139 am CET. So, a bunch of people is searching this a/c for more than 12 hours, and they've found exactly.. nothing?

Well, a MH-B772ER is big enough that it shouldn't get lost without a trace, isnt't it?
      This is another reason why I love my avatar.

I don't see (yet) a parallel to AF447.

But it's a sad story. I'd like to be the one who finds that triple7.
      The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
      This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

This is a bit absurd. The Gulf of Thailand is not that big, it's only about 50 meters deep in most places and it is quite populated with fishing boats. How is it that 24 hours after losing a 777 no on has spotted any wreckage? I'm wondering if it went down in a remote part of the jungle instead. There is an hour or more of discrepency between the reported last contact and the Flight Aware data.

Comment

A Texas company lost 20 employees in that flight....

Freescale Semiconductor, a company based in Texas, confirmed Saturday that 20 of its employees -- 12 from Malaysia and eight from China -- were confirmed passengers.
          A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            This is a bit absurd. The Gulf of Thailand is not that big, it's only about 50 meters deep in most places and it is quite populated with fishing boats. How is it that 24 hours after losing a 777 no on has spotted any wreckage? I'm wondering if it went down in a remote part of the jungle instead. There is an hour or more of discrepency between the reported last contact and the Flight Aware data.
            Lets not be babes in the woods and try to reinvent the wheel here. It was at FL 35 at 500kts. and vanished. No SOS , no recovery of wreckage in a shallow gulf after 24 searching hours . It blew to bits. Why ?

Enough soft talk.

Comment

ATC in that area is based on procedural control or ADS-B. The sudden disappearance from "radar" could just mean electrical or transponder failure, not necessarily total breakup. Just saying.

Comment

Lets not be babes in the woods and try to reinvent the wheel here. It was at FL 35 at 500kts. and vanished. No SOS , no recovery of wreckage in a shallow gulf after 24 searching hours . It blew to bits. Why ?

Enough soft talk.
                There is no great expectation concerning something that can be compared to a "romantic" ship wreck à la "Titanic",
                which only broke into 2 pieces.
                Agreed.

But imho, "fisher boats" as the only participants in a SAR mission is just as naive/romantic. How fast is such a boat,
                or how many minutes does such a boat need to cross the ocean between Malaysia and Vietnam?

There is a discrepancy between "MH-B772ER disappeared from the screens" and "arrival of the first boat in the SAR area".

So, I developed the spontaneous idea of searching by B744. I know, this is not perfect either, high and (very) fast, compared to a boat,
                if we talk about scheduled B744s...

So, what can we do?

Comment

Originally posted by ATCBob View Post
                  ATC in that area is based on procedural control or ADS-B. The sudden disappearance from "radar" could just mean electrical or transponder failure, not necessarily total breakup. Just saying.
                  But this is not a super longhaul flight. You don't need 12 hours for this route. So, where is the B772ER?

Not in Beijing, afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                    But this is not a super longhaul flight. You don't need 12 hours for this route. So, where is the B772ER?

Not in Beijing, afaik.
                    Sounds like another TWA800
                    A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Lets not be babes in the woods and try to reinvent the wheel here. It was at FL 35 at 500kts. and vanished. No SOS , no recovery of wreckage in a shallow gulf after 24 searching hours . It blew to bits.
                      Or it's submerged in one piece.

Or, most likely, neither.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

If this is true, it's very bad news:

The Malaysian Civil Aviation General has confirmed at press conference just broadcast on Sky News that no ACARS message linking to malfunctions of the aircraft were sent to Malaysia Airlines Operations Centre.

Comment

hope this is not a more widespread Bojinka type operation. the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet
                          moving quickly in air

Comment

Italian and Austrian passengers' itinerary revealed:

{Italian} ticket no. 784- ******099 ( KL [MH370]->Beijing[KL898]->Amsterdam[KL1139]->Copenhagen)

{Austrian} ticket no. 784- ******100 ( KL [MH370]->Beijing[KL898]->Amsterdam[KL1775]->Frankfurt)
                            @ orangehuggy - you've made my signature
                            AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
                            the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Originally posted by Janj
                              Update: Accordingt to radar, possibility that aircraft was turning back. Airline is still trying to understand it. *** spam URL removed by moderator***
                              Turning back without contacting air=traffic control?
                              Last edited by brianw999; 2014-03-09, 15:37.

Comment

Originally posted by phoneman View Post
                                Turning back without contacting air=traffic control?
                                yes, according to info given so far

Comment

Working...
                                X