Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These new airplanes do not cause jet lag!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These new airplanes do not cause jet lag!

Air travel is safer and cheaper as compared to past few decades. But passengers are facing further problems when it comes to comfort. Chatty neighbours, crying babies and cramped seats are not the only problem. Dehydration and altitude sickness also contributes to the feeling of distress in long-haul flights.
    People label this discomfort as “jet lag.” But, this new commercial airplane might have a remedy.
    Here is the full article about the JET LAG and the planes introduce to overcome these:
    http://flyinganarchy.com/new-airplanes-not-cause-jet-lag/

What a bad article. Cabin pressurization is not related to dehydration or dry mouth, eyes and nose. Too dry air (at any pressure) is what causes that.

A better pressurization (6000ft instead of 8000) can improve many things, but not that.

And the main reason for jet lag has nothing to do with anything of the above, but with the disruption of the circadian rhythm when you change time zones.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      What a bad article. Cabin pressurization is not related to dehydration or dry mouth, eyes and nose. Too dry air (at any pressure) is what causes that.

A better pressurization (6000ft instead of 8000) can improve many things, but not that.

And the main reason for jet lag has nothing to do with anything of the above, but with the disruption of the circadian rhythm when you change time zones.
      Minor scientific argument... my air compressor collects water. I am forced to conclude that higher pressure may increase RH and that your statement may be a bit too absolute.

Concur that jet lag is mostly sleep; however, the lower altitude may help you deal with it better.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        Minor scientific argument... my air compressor collects water. I am forced to conclude that higher pressure may increase RH and that your statement may be a bit too absolute.
        Nice try, and you are right.

Of course that taking air at 65F, 50% RH and 1atm and compressing it to 10atm (at the same ambient temperature, once it it is let cool down after compression), vs compressing air at -60F, 5% HR (and 5% RH at -60F means much less amount of water than 5% RH at 65F, because the % RH compares how much water is solved in the air compared to how much can there be solved until saturation, and hot air can hold much more than cold air) and 0.24atm (35000ft) and compress it to 8000ft (0.74atm), and then heat this air to +65F. There will be a few orders of magnitude of difference in the effect of concentrating humidity. And then what really matters is the difference between the "old" 8000ft and the "new" 6000ft (0.80atm). Believe me, you will not notice any difference in relative humidity. That said, it is my understanding that the 787 has something to keep the RH higher than in "old" planes, increasing it from about 5% to 15%, but that something is not the lower cabin altitude.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          Nice try, and you are right.

Of course that taking air at 65F, 50% RH and 1atm and compressing it to 10atm (at the same ambient temperature, once it it is let cool down after compression), vs compressing air at -60F, 5% HR (and 5% RH at -60F means much less amount of water than 5% RH at 65F, because the % RH compares how much water is solved in the air compared to how much can there be solved until saturation, and hot air can hold much more than cold air) and 0.24atm (35000ft) and compress it to 8000ft (0.74atm), and then heat this air to +65F. There will be a few orders of magnitude of difference in the effect of concentrating humidity. And then what really matters is the difference between the "old" 8000ft and the "new" 6000ft (0.80atm). Believe me, you will not notice any difference in relative humidity. That said, it is my understanding that the 787 has something to keep the RH higher than in "old" planes, increasing it from about 5% to 15%, but that something is not the lower cabin altitude.
          Oh, by the way, my last flight was the first one in a 787. Very nice, lower cabin altitude, huge windows, mood lighting, very good IFE... but nothing of that will help the jet-lag with seats that have a tiny seat pitch, have a shorter back rest, and the head rest can be extended up enough to work as a shoulder-blade rest. The little that I slept I did it utmost uncomfortably and definitively did not rest.

Comment

Working...
          X