Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should airlines arm their cabin crew owing to unruly passengers getting worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should airlines arm their cabin crew owing to unruly passengers getting worse?

40% of aviation companies have diverted a flight in the last 12 months because of an unruly traveller. Unruly air travellers have turned into a major problem, the International Air Transport Association reports.According to freshly released facts there were almost 50,000 accounted events from 2007 to 2015. Majority of them were resolved quickly by the crew members. But, 11% of such incidents include damage to the plane or physical harm to others.
    For more info, you can visit http://flyinganarchy.com/airlines-ar...getting-worse/

It has really become a burning question these days especially after the Korean Airlines incident.
    Last edited by hugh; 2017-01-14, 17:46. Reason: more info

No, obviously. The fewer guns aboard a plane the better. If an unruly pax is bad enough, imagine one managing to take a gun from the cabin crew.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

triply NO as a result of a good number of cabin crew being unfit themselves.

today i had a real bitch on a flight from MSY to MIA. her attitude with me has earned her a written complaint to management. (i haven't made a written complaint in clse to ten years and who knows how many hundreds of flights) more importantly though, she is exactly the type of person i would never want to see armed with anything more dangerous than the little device they break up the ice cubes with.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
        ***triply NO as a result of a good number of cabin crew being unfit themselves.***
        This.

They are trained in evacuations, drink serving, and the proper use of the work-bid system.

Any other expertise may vary.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
          This.

They are trained in evacuations, drink serving, and the proper use of the work-bid system.

Any other expertise may vary.
          Apparently, they already have Tasers. And inadequate Taser training. My advice: don't get them excited.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            Apparently, they already have Tasers. And inadequate Taser training. My advice: don't get them excited.
            Yikes, 3BS and Evan may want to think twice before grabbing our carry-ons in an evacuation.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

And funnily enough, this article is on BBC News this morning..

South Korea's national airline has used electric stun guns on five passengers during flights, the BBC has learned.
              Korean Air is believed to be the only major carrier to routinely have the weapons on board.
              The airline is ramping up training for staff using the guns after criticism for the way it handled a recent in-flight disturbance.
              The carrier told the BBC it first introduced electric stun guns in 2002.
              It now carries at least one set of weapons on every plane, with two sets on its A380 jumbo jets.

A Korean Air spokesman said that of the five incidents, three involved the gun being fired.
              In those instances, the gun used compressed air to fire darts that release a 50,000-volt electric charge, designed to temporarily paralyse the target.
              In the two other cases, the weapon was used as a stun gun, with the electric current fired directly into the passenger, with the weapon held against them at close range.

Korean Air would not give further details about what prompted each incident, when they occurred or what happened to the passengers.
              But it confirmed all took place while the aircraft were airborne.
              Korean Air is believed to be the only major airline that routinely carries electric stun guns on its planes.

Comment

Should airlines arm their passengers, owing to unruly cabin crew getting worse?
                Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                  Should airlines arm their passengers, owing to unruly cabin crew getting worse?
                  Jokes aside, the taser thing is making some sense to me.

It's not so much terrorism and criminal issues, it seems we have more and more mentally disturbed people who simply "lose control and flail and scuffle, or gripe over body odor or politics of seat mates, etc."...The nice thing about the taser is that it is sort of non-lethal and by 'paralyzing' the target, they are broadly applicable for 'evil criminal threats', 'mental meltdowns' and 'stupid escalated disagreements'.

TeeVee's comments remain as a very valid and very big concern- FA's hostility seems to be an increasing issue as opposed to being the 110% perfect, reliable solution. As Evan would say, we need a lot more training and screening (and government regulation).

Comment

I have seen the results of taser use during my time as a paramedic. There are very strict useage instructions and criteria and I really don't see the average flight attendant as being the most suitable person to use them. That's not intended to be slight on flight attendants' abilities, it's intended to introduce a needed safety margin. Such firearms, and make no mistake they are a firearm, require a properly trained police officer or ex military front line server to ensure appropriate use. Essentially we are talking about a properly trained sky marshal.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Why not just teach them all judo?

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                        ...I really don't see the average flight attendant as being the most suitable person to use them...
                        Sort of half arguing AND half agreeing...the trouble with the snip there is that 'the average flight attendant' is, by-far the most likely person to encounter and address these sorts of situations.

Do we need a fully trained sky marshal on every flight??? No doubt that that sort of person would be better trained at weapon use AND in a much better frame of mind than an FA beaten down by Tee Vee Types demanding less moldy mayonase. (friendly sarcastic jab) and all of the other crappy customer service they have to provide these days.

Comment

tasers safe???? you must not be reading the dozens of stories where people have died after being tased. death because so prissy bitch gets all in a huff over not getting upgraded? methinks not.

over dinner two days ago with a friend that is an upper level manager at MIA for aa, we talked briefly about the poor attitudes of some airline employees. he acknowledged that aa knows a lot of what its cabin crew do is over reaction, but they won't admit it publicly.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                            tasers safe????
                            Don't mis quote me Mr. Lawyer, my words were "sort of non lethal"

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                              Don't mis quote me Mr. Lawyer, my words were "sort of non lethal"
                              not really directed at you. more to brian, whose post tended to make me think he thought they were safe when used by coppers and military blokes. fact is, 99.9% of taser related deaths were after use by the po-po.

Comment

Working...
                              X