Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elaw View Post
    But... but... we need those guns!

To defend ourselves against all the other people that have guns.
    LOL. https://youtu.be/0rR9IaXH1M0
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      In every airport I've been through, and that's a lot, including US airports you cannot enter the baggage area from land side. As a flight arrival you go through immigration, then the baggage hall and finally customs.
      That's for international flights. For domestic flights (and that pretty much includes intra-EU flights) the baggage hall is mostly in the land side.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Seriously?

The last box of ammo I looked at said "dangerous within one mile" on it. Please cite an example of anyone ever doing harm to someone from a mile away with a club.
        A wood 1 in the hands of a strong golfer and with some tailwind maybe

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

as usual;, this tragedy has devolved into a "legal" gun debate.

face it. there are so many guns in circulation in the us that even if ALL guns were outlawed tomorrow, shit like this would continue to happen for decades.

if you outlaw ALL guns at airports, people like esteban will open fire elsewhere.

this is the stereotypical gringo response: go hog wild AFTER the event, and make a monstrous case out of a small, but tragic event, to drum up fear and who knows what else.

the airport was closed, along with nearby MAIN roads for 20 hours. really? round up the injured, the dead, take pictures of the scene and get on with life. 200 idiot cops standing around earning overtime pay AFTER the fact does NOTHING!!!!!

such bullshit.............

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post

face it. there are so many guns in circulation in the us that even if ALL guns were outlawed tomorrow, shit like this would continue to happen for decades.

if you outlaw ALL guns at airports, people like esteban will open fire elsewhere.

this is the stereotypical gringo response: go hog wild AFTER the event, and make a monstrous case out of a small, but tragic event, to drum up fear and who knows what else.

the airport was closed, along with nearby MAIN roads for 20 hours. really? round up the injured, the dead, take pictures of the scene and get on with life. 200 idiot cops standing around earning overtime pay AFTER the fact does NOTHING!!!!!

such bullshit.............
            In my particular case, while I commented it here after the fact, my opinion was always that you can't give away guns, that are designed to kill, with less requisites that you give driving licences.

While I would love that guns are outlawed from everyone but law enforcement and military, this clearly can't happen without a constitutional amendment, which is almost impossible in today's political reality. But I believe that doing a background check, requesting an operation and safety training course and taking an exam to give someone a permit to posses a gun (or guns), plus recording every gun to a gun owner, and mandating that private guns sells are documented with a transfer of the tittle of ownership of the gun, are not against the constitutional right. This is what it is already happening with the possession and use of another tool that can kill: cars. Again, the event triggered the comment, not the opinion.

And if it will take decades for things to improve after that change, then let's start now!!! Maybe my children will benefit from the improvement.

I agree with the rest of what you say. The overreaction is ridiculous, it seems designed more to SHOW that "we are doing something" than to produce any practical effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              In my particular case, while I commented it here after the fact, my opinion was always that you can't give away guns, that are designed to kill, with less requisites that you give driving licences.

While I would love that guns are outlawed from everyone but law enforcement and military, this clearly can't happen without a constitutional amendment, which is almost impossible in today's political reality. But I believe that doing a background check, requesting an operation and safety training course and taking an exam to give someone a permit to posses a gun (or guns), plus recording every gun to a gun owner, and mandating that private guns sells are documented with a transfer of the tittle of ownership of the gun, are not against the constitutional right. This is what it is already happening with the possession and use of another tool that can kill: cars. Again, the event triggered the comment, not the opinion.
              The only meaningful bit of gun control legislation in the past 50 years in the United States was the Brady Bill which required some background check and a waiting period to thwart spontaneous gun purchases. It only happened because the 'leadership' on the right had to witness one of their own (James Brady) paralyzed in a wheel chair. That's what it took, and over the years, loopholes, non-enforcement and erosive measures have made a mockery of it. Consider this:

(CNN)When Esteban Santiago was in an Alaska FBI office in November, saying his mind was being controlled by US intelligence, he left two things in the car. A gun and his newborn child.

The Army veteran's rambling walk-in interview at the Anchorage office was concerning enough for authorities to take away his gun and order a mental health evaluation. But it wasn't enough to get him mentally adjudicated, which would have prohibited Santiago from owning a firearm.
              Santiago got the gun back a month later when he retrieved the pistol from police headquarters, and it was that weapon, law enforcement sources told CNN, that he used to kill five people and wound six others at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Friday.
              Santiago was also arrested for aggravated domestic assault in 2016 and was observed behaving erratically by his neighbors, including selling off his possessions.

He only checked one bag, a gun case containg a 9mm handgun. He had a one-way ticket.

Sooooo many warning signs on this one. So many opportunities to prevent it.

But America is still fast asleep, and law enforcement is either powerless or inept. It's as if nothing has changed since 9/11 (there were fairly blatant warning signs for that one too). It's shameful.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post

And this is the most absurd thing: The NRA has engineered a bizarre narrative that in the immediate wake of a murderous incident in which the problem of lax gun control becomes impossible to ignore, this is exactly the time NOT to discuss the problem. "Now is not the time... Respect the dead... etc." And somehow that appeals to logic...

That's like saying, in the wake of a structural failure crash, "Now is not the time to discuss structural weaknesses".

When the wake-up call comes along, that IS the most obvious time to discuss the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  But America is still fast asleep
                  Not everyone is asleep! There are thousands of people and millions of dollars working tirelessly to ensure that our right to shoot each other is not abridged in any way.
                  Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Not everyone is asleep! There are thousands of people and millions of dollars working tirelessly to ensure that our right to shoot each other is not abridged in any way.
                    Indeed.

Comment

A good place to start would be denying guns to known mentally unstable people and definitely not letting them check guns on airplanes.
                      Is there a "mentally unstable" card these people get or what? How is an airline to know?

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                        Is there a "mentally unstable" card these people get or what? How is an airline to know?
                        National gun registry database (that should be in place). Estaban Santiago: gun permit revoked by FBI (as it should have been). DIscreet call to security. I'm sorry Mr. Santiago but we need you to come with us...

or, since that seems politically impossible at the moment...

One way ticket, no luggage, one checked firearm: DIscreet call to security. I'm sorry Mr. Santiago but we need you to come with us...

Airline operators can refuse to convey anything they feel presents a threat. They have infamously taken passengers off flights for speaking in Arabic. It would be nice if they used their heads instead.

Comment

One way ticket, no luggage, one checked firearm...
                          Not that uncommon when leaving Alaska, especially for ex-military. People tend to ship stuff home from there rather than deal with the hassle of carrying it, so that in and of itself was not much of a red flag.

Comment

I remember when I left Saudi Arabia on KLM via Schiphol at the end of my contract. I took my Scuba gear home with me but had to put some of it in my hand baggage for space and weight reasons. So, in went fins, mask and snorkel, weight belt ...... and a 12 inch long dive knife ! It never crossed my mind that the knife wouldn't be appreciated, after all it was sporting equipment !
                            Security at Yanbu regional airport and Jeddah International didn't bat an eyelid until I got to Schiphol for the short hop to Heathrow. They went apeshit at me. I was slammed face first up the wall, very roughly searched and questioned in a very hard manner by the hardest faced female security officer that you ever did see. They eventually accepted my explanation.....and let me onto the aircraft still carrying the knife. !! This was 1995 well before Al Qaeda and 9/11. I still have a chuckle when I think back on that one.
                            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Not that uncommon when leaving Alaska, especially for ex-military. People tend to ship stuff home from there rather than deal with the hassle of carrying it, so that in and of itself was not much of a red flag.
                              i find this hard to believe. ZERO checked baggage aside from a firearm? doubt this is very common anywhere, anytime.

as for how to prevent this type of thing, while we will NEVER be able to stop all forms of crazies from doing ALL forms of crazy, there is zero need to travel with ammunition. wanna use your firearm at your destination? buy ammo when you land. as for those that feel the desperate, insatiable need to carry their weapon the second they walk out the terminal door, go ahead and hang that holster on your belt...without ammo.

i have a concealed carry permit though i almost never carry the damn thing and have traveled with my gun a few times. i am quite happy to travel without it.

Comment

Obviously we need more lists and the system where you pop up on the check in screen (and the TSA check in screen)...maybe even implant tracking chips into people's brains. X-ray the bags, then reconcile the suitcase bar-code tag with the passenger name and all of the various no-fly, no-fly-with-gun, no-fly-because-you-are-60-and-on-the-verge-of-a-heart-attack-and-a-beloved-star-wars-character list.

I know the general public would have no issues with more "no-fly" types of lists...heck, keep 'em off of trains and busses too...how about mall entrances?
                                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
                                X