Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American B772 near Buenos Aires on Dec 25, ran out of air sick bags, lightning strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
    I'll never forget his answer, which was approx 3 or 13 nautical miles long, so that I needed... 8 forum entries? to answer.

Gabe, if this is your aim, you're on a good way!
    I answered 10 questions in one post. And if you think that post was long, you are not familiar with my Gabrielian posts.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
      Was the Captain a rather short, bemustached character?
      Yes!!! And potbellied too!!!
      And he was wearing a funny tie with some funny inscription. I could not read it, but he was in the aft galley talking with the cabin crew (while on the ground in Montevideo) and they commented about his "nice tie", to what he replied "but did you really read what it says here?" and everybody laughed.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        Yes!!! And potbellied too!!!
        And he was wearing a funny tie with some funny inscription. I could not read it, but he was in the aft galley talking with the cabin crew (while on the ground in Montevideo) and they commented about his "nice tie", to what he replied "but did you really read what it says here?" and everybody laughed.
        Then it wasn't Les Stature. He's not potbellied, nor would he ever think of wearing any kind of a humorous tie.

Comment

This was no CAT.
          In your narrative, you did not imply or I missed where you said it was low level convective type. I thought I read it was a long period so I am then assuming during the 20 plus minutes descending from altitude.

Now I just reread your original post. You said for over half of the decent, so I assumed from altitude. The diversion over to Montevideo, a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
            In your narrative, you did not imply or I missed where you said it was low level convective type. I thought I read it was a long period so I am then assuming during the 20 plus minutes descending from altitude.

Now I just reread your original post. You said for over half of the decent, so I assumed from altitude. The diversion over to Montevideo, a different story.
            It started in the second half of the descent and it was much more than 20 minutes because the pilot was dodging weather.
            Did you check the 3 links I included in my first post?
            One is the AvHerald report where you can have a better picture. I didn't repeat all that was said there.
            In another you can see the track which, close to the destination (EZE or SAEZ), looks nothing like a direct route.
            And in the other one you have an altitude and speed plot where you can clearly see the turbulence (it is where the speed and altitude plots have spikes up and down) and you can see that it happened between 20000 and 1000 ft.
            Also, I did mention being stuck by a lightning.

And, of course, I was there and I could see the clouds, storms and lightning.

In any event, if I wasn't clear before, trust me now: This was no CAT.

Comment

Then it wasn't Les Stature. He's not potbellied, nor would he ever think of wearing any kind of a humorous tie.
              No, and he wasn't that short to be named Les Stature. But what do I know... with 6' 4" myself, almost everybody else looks so short...

Comment

No, and he wasn't that short to be named Les Stature. But what do I know... with 6' 4" myself, almost everybody else looks so short...
                Oh, trust me, you'd know. Les Stature is small enough to where I nearly walked right over him at Boston, because I wasn't looking far enough down, and I'm only 6' even.

Comment

Oh, trust me, you'd know. Less Moustature is small enough to where I nearly walked right over him at Boston, because I wasn't looking far enough down, and I'm only 6' even.
                  Fixed.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    Fixed.
                    Oh wait a second. Is Les Stature and Less Mostature the same person? Then definitely it was not him. I thought that the later worked for Delta. :facepalm:

Sorry guys for making you spoon-feed me.

Comment

Oh wait a second. Is Les Stature and Less Mostature the same person? Then definitely it was not him. I thought that the later worked for Delta. :facepalm:

Sorry guys for making you spoon-feed me.
                      No one reads that obscure magazine...(and I've even let MY subscription lapse)
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

SLIGHTLY off topic.

You can show your support to me & my channel by donating to my PayPal. 2020 has been an incredibly tough year. Everything costs money from buying tickets to ...

I was impressed at how quickly the power came up...seemed 172-like, very little hesitation and not the 'long slow spool up' that is traditionally discussed...

Looked like some first-class wing-rocking and a firm planting...but a very much around the centerline-and-the-aim-markers! I think I've survived similar hard landings in much more mundane weather too!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utpMW1bCiTk

I was impressed at how quickly the power came up...seemed 172-like, very little hesitation and not the 'long slow spool up' that is traditionally discussed...

Looked like some first-class wing-rocking and a firm planting...but a very much around the centerline-and-the-aim-markers! I think I've survived similar hard landings in much more mundane weather too!
                          There was just a final report on an incident from last March in which a Swiss A321 landed hard (but within acceptable range to continue) and the PF called for go-around and banged the tail. As it turned out, the PF, who was very inexperienced (341 hours total, 201 hour on type!!) apparently didn't understand that the A321 is in direct law at touchdown and pulled full-aft stick. Most likely a startle reaction to the hard touchdown. I wondered if this video was from that flight...

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utpMW1bCiTk

Take THAT, runway!
                            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                              Take THAT, runway!
                              Sometime in the past year, here we are sinking towards the ground at Atlanta in a 757...

...In my 'expert opinion' as a back-seat driver...Ok...it's about time to flare...um...yeah, I feel the nose going up now, but uhhhWHAM...ummm a few seconds too late guys...

Jeez...this is probably what it's like when I land in MSFS.

In all cases, a perfect landing...only thing required for flying it again was a bit more fuel and to change the bags and self-loading freight units.

Comment

Working...
                              X