No announcement yet.

Eva B773 at LAX: Wrong ATC instructions, confusion, terrain near miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus, alot of the Spanish (still) trust everything that happens due to order of the LH CEO, who is not only my friend due to our roots, the distance between our birth places is less than 30 km, but also because he knows alot about balance between
    a) airports (where his predecessor tried to close all LH bases that are not near his birthplace...)
    and
    b) a/c manufacturers. Embraer, Airbus and Boeing, not only beginning in 2020, "we" fly at least 1 or better 2 types of each factory. Examples? 333, 359 (a propos...), 748, 779, et cetera.

Thus, I'd say LH hasn't treated Spain in a bad way, not since May 1st 2014. And I expect a good answer from Iberia, if that video infact was created in Spain.
    I don't know how often Spohr and Romero talk to each other on the telephone. But...

For detail ask Seahawk.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-12-22, 05:10. Reason: a propos
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
      Bit of a goatrope, to be sure.

Couple of things worth mentioning. The first non-standard thing about all this is that they were departing to the East at all. I've been flying into LAX for nearly 3 years now, and have NEVER departed to the East, and only landed to the East (on 06R) exactly once. I don't know how much experience this particular crew had with LAX, but if they had much, I can't help but think they would have been that much more on their toes just because the procedure was one that does not normally take place. A crew with operational experience in LAX would also be well-aware of all that granite to the North (I usually have my TERR display on going in and out of there), and would have likely not turned left initially. Once they made that turn, things began to deteriorate very rapidly, and the controller certainly didn't help much.
      1. The glimpse of insider insight is always appreciated- especially the comments about the rarity of operating to the East.

2. One thing missing in all of this discussion: A lot of us arm-chair outsiders assume that there are a number of electronic navigation thingies and I-pad charts and somewhat strict routings that governing departures that seem to kick in somewhere around the airport fence...big magenta lines, waypoints programmed into the FMS, so that a ~270 degree left turn should turn on some yellow lights and some requests for confirmation. I know there may be some slop and occasional creative vectoring, but still, it seems that 'the big picture' was lost here. (Probably had their head too cluttered with acronyms and QRH procedures oh now to go around at 200 feet when landing in a thunderstorm on a different model of the 777.)
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

You notice she repeatedly tells the [F/O?] to turn to the south, and he calmly reads these back but they remain on a northerly heading until a rather agitated, very different voice [CPT?] takes over, confirms the ATC command and voila, the u-turn. Makes me wonder who was flying and why he wasn't getting the message.

Comment

Also, a directive requiring all ATC controllers to wear shoes with the words LEFT and RIGHT prominently displayed is not a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
          X