Worth appealing rejection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth appealing rejection?

I had the following rejected for "obstructing objects / foreground clutter" and wondered whether it was worth appealing? Obviously, we'd all like all shots to have no clutter or obstructions, but when a plane is just dumped in a field, I'm not sure what the photographer is supposed to do?

Maybe I'll take a lawnmower and brush-cutter spotting with me next time!

Thanks!

Apologies, maybe I should have posted this in the Digital Photo Processing Forum?
    Last edited by scbriml; 2016-12-04, 10:49. Reason: Added comment re forum

Sometimes you have to stamp the foliage down to clear the image. You could try an appeal but it is likely to be rejected.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

As much as I hate how snobby reviewers can get, and yeah, I see a cool old airplane in a cool environment, but the weeds are there and saying, 'look at me' 'look at me'... just something about the human mind and art and all... I appreciate the picture, but it's not quite a photograph.

Maybe if you were on a ladder or something the 'height and intrusiveness' of the weeds would be diminished?
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I think it's a beautiful shot.

Comment

Originally posted by scbriml View Post
          I had the following rejected for "obstructing objects / foreground clutter" and wondered whether it was worth appealing? Obviously, we'd all like all shots to have no clutter or obstructions, but when a plane is just dumped in a field, I'm not sure what the photographer is supposed to do?

Maybe I'll take a lawnmower and brush-cutter spotting with me next time!

Thanks!

Apologies, maybe I should have posted this in the Digital Photo Processing Forum?

Hi, I was one of the screeners involved in this one. As much as I appreciated that it's a rarer machine and older, I also took a look at the other pictures we have in the database already and they were taken without the vegetation in the way, so in theory it is possible to get a shot without the vegetation. If we hadn't had any previous submissions it might have been a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
            Hi, I was one of the screeners involved in this one. As much as I appreciated that it's a rarer machine and older, I also took a look at the other pictures we have in the database already and they were taken without the vegetation in the way, so in theory it is possible to get a shot without the vegetation. If we hadn't had any previous submissions it might have been a different story.
            The vegetation is part of the charm here. The aircraft is derelict and abandoned, the weeds help to convey that state. Pity you don't see that.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
              The vegetation is part of the charm here. The aircraft is derelict and abandoned, the weeds help to convey that state. Pity you don't see that.
              So...what would be real cool is if you could somehow frame the plane WITH a couple of the weeds...And I would also like to see more of a 1/3 2/3 composure that goes with classic photographs....the way it's so tightly cropped to within a foot of the plane...loses it's artsyness and seems like it's more of a cold documentation of a particular plane and "N-number".
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                Indeed. Whilst it might be technically considered to be "preserved", it's apparent that little or no TLC is being administered.

Comment

Thanks for the opinions.

I was on holiday with my wife, so left my ladders, lawnmower and brush-cutter at home.

With regard to the angle and undergrowth - I was only allowed to shoot from the path (so what I shot was the best I could get) and it's obvious the grass hadn't been cut for months.

Comment

Working...
                  X