No announcement yet.

Abort, abort, abort: Hackers posing as air traffic controllers tricking pilots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abort, abort, abort: Hackers posing as air traffic controllers tricking pilots

Lets hope that they can find the people involved in this one.

A person pretends they are calling from the control tower and order the aircraft to abort their landing and perform what is called ‘a go-around’, a last minute emergency tactic.

Is this "hacking"?????????

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
      Is this "hacking"?????????
      Well it is breaking into a system for no other purpose than a cheap laugh.

Comment

They have caught the person involved.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) has charged a 19-year-old Rockbank (Victorian) man with serious offences related to the alleged unlawful interference with air traffic control and endangering the safety of aircraft at two Victorian airports.
        https://www.afp.gov.au/news-media/me...orian-airports

Comment

Originally posted by Graham2001 View Post
          They have caught the person involved.

https://www.afp.gov.au/news-media/me...orian-airports
          Hang him in public in downtown and publish the images and photos in YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, explaining that the same will happen to whomever aims a laser to a plane or flies a drone near planes, airports or approach paths.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Not hacking as such. Anyone with a two way radio transceiver on the right frequency could do
            this.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              Hang him in public in downtown and publish the images and photos in YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, explaining that the same will happen to whomever aims a laser to a plane or flies a drone near planes, airports or approach paths.
              I second that emotion. But instead publish pictures of what happens when a go-around goes horribly wrong. I think this idiot was just ignorant of the danger involved. Hang 'em anyway. One less idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                But instead publish pictures of what happens when a go-around goes horribly wrong. I think this idiot was just ignorant of the danger involved.
                Bad idea. If go-arounds are shown as a possibly catastrophic event, then we would have to cope not only with ignorant idiots, but also with malicious individuals/organizations. Just hang him without further explanation.
                "I know that at times I can be a little over the top." -ITS

Comment

Kind of funny in this modern world of electronics and automation, a basic 2-way radio is so 'critical' and vulnerable. I'd think we would be better served by a datastrem to an in-cockpit I-pad that invokes Siri.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    Kind of funny in this modern world of electronics and automation, a basic 2-way radio is so 'critical' and vulnerable. I'd think we would be better served by a datastrem to an in-cockpit I-pad that invokes Siri.
                    Until it stops working. The great part about 2 way radios, is there are very few dependencies on allowing them to work which means they are highly reliable. (they only require 2 pieces of working equipment). An iPad relies on a lot of intermediary components to get a connection, let alone a secure one that can't be easily hacked. The types of Hacks on 2-way radio are pretty much limited to this type of activity.

Also, it is a common fallacy is that simple (or complex) AI's such as Siri are not logical and unbiased, they are actually quite biased pieces of complex software and can be quite hard to predict how they will behave.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwartz View Post
                      Also, it is a common fallacy is that simple (or complex) AI's such as Siri are not logical and unbiased, they are actually quite biased pieces of complex software and can be quite hard to predict how they will behave.
                      On rare occasions, I use a little sarcasm. I was actually referring to simple synthetic, or prerecorded speech. Siri and other systems do a nice job reading, and 'Airline xyz, flight 123, cleared to land' would be pretty simple.
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        On rare occasions, I use a little sarcasm. I was actually referring to simple synthetic, or prerecorded speech. Siri and other systems do a nice job reading, and 'Airline xyz, flight 123, cleared to land' would be pretty simple.
                        I'm sorry, I didn't get that...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

Comment

The ATSB has released their full report on the incident, looks like the perpetrator was mixing fake distress calls with fake landing instructions.

Comment

Working...
                            X