Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with this? (Flight Costs)

Hey Everyone,

Feel like I'm really embarrassing myself with this thread and I'll end up looking stupid because it will have a really simple answer.

Anyway, next year in mid June I'll be heading off to Calgary, I live in the UK, on a working holiday for two years. There are times when I like to search for flights early and at least get a 'ballpark' range of what I'll have to pay.

This is what confused me... (I'm using Google Flights by the way and Air Canada as the example but it's the same with British Airways)

One way
    Non stop
    June 15th
    LHR-YYC
    £1,465

Round Trip
    Out: June 15th
    Return: June 22nd
    LHR-YYC-LHR
    £767

What's up with the round trip costing half the price of the one way? If someone was doing the same as me, taking a one way flight. Couldn't they just book a round trip then once they're there cancel the return?

Many people do just what you suggest. Buy the return ticket and simply don't turn up for the return.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Look very carefully at the ticket rules - you could end up with the airline charging you for the actual flight you flew (it happed to me and my boss several years ago flying USA to Europe).

Check with other airlines and on adjacent dates - using Kayak I see better fares London to Calgary - $394 Gatwick to Calgary flying on WestJet June 7 for example

Comment

Working...
      X