Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it allowed to take photos of private planes and their registration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it allowed to take photos of private planes and their registration?

Hello,

I'd like to hear your opinion for the question in the title especially for the Europe area and Germany. You may ask yourself for the reason?

I've visited a small airfield. I saw a plane standing in front of the hangar. I asked the guys around the airfield if it's okay to take photos of the plane. The owner said: "it's fine but do not publish the plane with the registration. You have to remove the registration if you publish the photo". The also said the he don't want that someone knows he is the owner of the plane (Ikarus C42). I never had a name of the guy only his registration...

Is it allowed to publish the photo here or do I have to await maybe problems from the owner so he can pull me in front of a court?

Thanks
    View my Spottingpictures on Jetphotos.net here

If the owner asks you NOT to publish - you don't publish - as simple as that...

Comment

I understand that, but is there a law that prohibits the publishing? I mean if I had caught him in the air it would have been the same. The picture is the same and the plane is the same.

Only difference is that in the air there is a pilot visible and on mine there is no human on the pic
      View my Spottingpictures on Jetphotos.net here

Comment

On one hand you have the right to take photos on public ground, if it is an aircraft you take a photo of from public ground, it's OK. On the other hand there is something called "legal protection of personality". Put it that way: someone takes a photo of you in a compromising situation. This is legal, but would you want it on facebook?

As Tomasz put it correctly: If the owner asks you NOT to publish - you don't publish - as simple as that...
        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I'm puzzled by all this. If you take a photograph of an aircraft from a public space and have not trespassed or committed any other offence while doing so, I don't believe the owner of an aircraft can REQUIRE you not to publish. This applies even to military aircraft. Of course, there may be notices ordering you not to photograph, e.g. at military or government facilities, but even that's a grey area. Obviously there are some countries where you want to think twice about this, but in normal western democracies you should be OK. An owner may request you and you may want to respect his wishes, but it's not a requirement. If it was, I don't think all these aviation photo sites would be viable.

Comment

But he wasn't in a public space. And then the rules of the place he took the photograph apply (at least in Germany, but IANAL). If the owner/operator of the airfield allowed the picture to be taken/published, he is fine. The plane, as is, does not have any personality rights, anyway. If the photographer is outside the fence, i.e. on public ground, then nobody can forbid the photograph being taken and published.
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=21893

Comment

He doesn't specifically say he was not in a public space. He said he visited an airfield and was looking at an aircraft in front of a hangar. Even if he was on the airfield property itself, legitimately so, and was abiding by all laws and local rules, I don't think there's any case to answer here.

Comment

Is it that important to you ? You publish after being asked not to and you risk legal action being taken against you. It could also lead to a total ban on photography by the airfield management which would ruin things for other photographers. It also means that you are an arrogant individual who takes no notice of the privacy of others, which they are entitled to.

If you are asked not to publish then don't publish. It's called "good manners" and "being respectful"
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                X