First Air France 787 will be special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Air France 787 will be special

It will be the 500th 787 to be built, dosent happen too often when the first aircraft of a type in your fleet is also making history.

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
    It will be the 500th 787 to be built, dosent happen too often when the first aircraft of a type in your fleet is also making history.
    It happens at least once per type: Launch customer.
    And what does the #500 have that the #499 or the #501 don't? WOuld the #500 still be special if humans had 8 fingers instead of 10? (case in which, very likely we would be using an octal system instead of decimal, and 500 would read 764)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      It happens at least once per type: Launch customer.
      And what does the #500 have that the #499 or the #501 don't? WOuld the #500 still be special if humans had 8 fingers instead of 10? (case in which, very likely we would be using an octal system instead of decimal, and 500 would read 764)
      Its half of 1000 thats a big deal, so something to celebrate maybe AF will fly it with a sticker announcing that as did some airline with the 100th A380 or the 1000th other type I think Cathay A330, and its a rare occurence that your first aircraft of a type is in this category, usually airlines are already operating a type since years when this happens, like KLM recieved 600th 747 built back in the 80s when they were already operating the 747 as well as the 747-300 in their flleet since some time.

Comment

Originally posted by LUNN View Post
        Its half of 1000 thats a big deal, so something to celebrate
        Oh, 500 is half of 1000? Thanks for the hint!
        So the next question is why is 1000 special, and not 997 or 1004.

Don't get me wrong, I do get it: it is a round number, a 1 followed by many zeroes. And marketing is all about nice looking things (regardless of whether they are meaningfully nice or not).
        But other than a "nice looking" number, and a big one at that for airplane volumes, it has nothing special (compared with, for example, 997 or 1004 which are bout as big).
        We make it arbitrarily special, but it is a milestone of no real significance. And, again, it is nice looking just because, arbitrarily and by convention, we decided to use a 10-base system, decision that is likely linked to a chain of random mutations along billions of years that took us from an unicellular anaerobic bacteria to a human being with 5 fingers in each hand with which to count. If by the same chance we happened to have 8 or 12 fingers instead of 10, the number 2^3*5^3 (to represent 1000 in a way that looks identical in base 8, 10 or 12) would not look like a nice looking number made of a 1 and many zeroes, would be of no marketing value, would mean nothing special, and would not be a (fake) milestone.

If I drive from Huston to San Francisco, I would be much more interested in meaningful milestones (like when I did half of the way) than arbitrary ones (like when I did 1000 miles).
        Is Boeing half way to reach the equilibrium point for the project? Will this airplane complete at least one unit for every customer that ordered one or more? Did Boeing catch-up with the delays after the 500th? Is the 500th the first one with upgraded anything? With the #500 the project got mature enough that they reached the dispatch reliability of the 777?

The number 1000 (or 500) can have a marketing value, but really means nothing for Boeing or the customers (other than empty Marketing, like when they say "the customer is our priority).

Very much like the birthday

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Hey Gabriel.....who pissed on your cornflakes yesterday ?
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            Hey Gabriel.....who pissed on your cornflakes yesterday ?
            Work did.

Comment

http://tylerbirth.boardingarea.com/e...-9-air-france/

Le Boeing 787-9 Air France pourrait accueillir jusqu’à 276 passagers répartis dans les différentes classes de voyage comme suit :

30 passagers en classe Affaires
              21 passagers en classe Premium Economy
              225 passagers en classe Economy (deux cabines de 96 et 129 clients)
              Shaping up to be quite an aircraft, indeed!
              Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                Shaping up to be quite an aircraft, indeed!
                Yes. And 'she' is supported by a man who really likes the #78 . Here at my home airport 'she' is only flown by All Nippon, but in the very famous 78 78 version. Afaik, my favourite airline has not yet ordered some 78s, as they have something that is as ingenious as the 78 78: the 7(4)8.

For the French, the 787 takes over the AF-B744 heritage? Who knows some routes for the AF-B789?
                Probably, at Roissy they still provide an a/c with 350 seats, after they left the 747 club. LH has not yet operated one 777..

And, btw, since when do you understand French? Not a bad thing.

I mean, for me, they are not far away. They serve my home airport.

PS: What is an airline without a 787? All of our neighbour countries (will) have at least one: KL, AF (first flight in 2017), BA, ...
                And what is an airline without a 747? That's my insurance. LH operates my nickname at least until 2020. And then, the 748 takes over.
                Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-10-11, 20:59. Reason: 747 vs 787
                The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Great news. Good to see that the worst is behind the 787.

I think this is a cool coincidence! No offence Gabriel haha...

And LH-B744, the B748 is a beauty. Here in Johannesburg I have the privilege of seeing her arrive every morning!

Comment

Originally posted by MoKa777 View Post
                    Great news. Good to see that the worst is behind the 787.

I think this is a cool coincidence! No offence Gabriel haha...

And LH-B744, the B748 is a beauty. Here in Johannesburg I have the privilege of seeing her arrive every morning!
                    Man, first of all, let me welcome you to Jetphotos. We are also talkin in the 359 topic. And you are faster than me. OR Tambo has been a LH 747 destination until the 388 was invented. That's what I know.

But now, JNB comes back to the doubledecker passenger jet prototype. Great info! 747, she is a beauty, in my case since 1989, the year when Joe Sutter invented the 744, and the year, when I was already an aviation enthusiast for... 5 years. But I thought, when I became a Jetphotos member, LH-B742, that'd sound like my father...

Very dear greetings to Joanna (you don't know a song with that name, or do you). 1983. I don't know (yet) your age.

PS: And who has the newest photos? She indeed looks like a 742. And I still love her:
                    LH-B748 retro at Jo'anna.

I know that we are offtopic, but I dare it, for such a sparkling new member. The Victor Delta had been or, still is my avatar. May god rest her soul. Today we fly the Victor Papa, or Yankee Tango.
                    The love stays the same.
                    Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-10-14, 02:48. Reason: Jetphotos is the perfect platform for, Jetphotos.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                      Man, first of all, let me welcome you to Jetphotos. We are also talkin in the 359 topic. And you are faster than me. OR Tambo has been a LH 747 destination until the 388 was invented. That's what I know.

But now, JNB comes back to the doubledecker passenger jet prototype. Great info! 747, she is a beauty, in my case since 1989, the year when Joe Sutter invented the 744, and the year, when I was already an aviation enthusiast for... 5 years. But I thought, when I became a Jetphotos member, LH-B742, that'd sound like my father...

Very dear greetings to Joanna (you don't know a song with that name, or do you). 1983. I don't know (yet) your age.

PS: And who has the newest photos? She indeed looks like a 742. And I still love her:
                      LH-B748 retro at Jo'anna.

I know that we are offtopic, but I dare it, for such a sparkling new member. The Victor Delta had been or, still is my avatar. May god rest her soul. Today we fly the Victor Papa, or Yankee Tango.
                      The love stays the same.
                      Haha great talking to you man! Thanks for the welcome and kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by MoKa777 View Post
                        Haha great talking to you man! Thanks for the welcome and kind words.
                        I have just perceived that I am not the only 78er here in this forum. So, you maybe also perceive in eight years, that there is a JP forum author who is of almost exactly your age?!

Man, you're always welcome. Or, to quote one of the most famous movies on this planet:
                        'Mi casa es su casa.'
                        (1994, Pulp Fiction)

PS: Since Air France has buried their 747s, neither you nor me can't really be on topic here, or could we? Since South African has buried their 747s, they almost own the same status as this Spanish speaking European airline, they only own Airbuses?!
                        Just the French are more open to Boeing products than 'your airline'? Afaik, the French fly at least two Boeing types, the 787 included.

After a few moments for a thought, that shouldn't surprise me. The French-USAmerican friendship is a tradition, whereas in my country only parts of the people know or even celebrate official US-American holidays... Bummer.

Thus, KLM is the only European airline where you can learn the small Boeings, and this is essential, to gain the license for the bigger Boeings. But this step in Germany disappears, even before the 'Sully' movie appears in a German cinema.
                        My favourite airline is able to operate the 747 in the year 2017 without the help of experienced 737 pilots. Theoretically I know how that works, I've seen that on TV. But it leaves me skeptical. Not by chance, during that TV broadcast the sentence was uttered 'Small Airbuses and longhaul Boeings have two completely different languages.'

LH-B733. And here I don't say which Boeing simulator I've used before I tried the 744X. For a precision manuals customer in Germany, the small Boeings had never quite fit... Bummer, again.
                        So, I have at least one excuse when I, very rarely, use foreign ships.

And I think, for an intercontinental airline that serves Germany and the USA, it would be nice to operate at least 2 Boeing types. That also includes my favourite airline...
                        But as I said somewhere else, politics can't be our matter. We just fly.

'And that should be enough for all of us and for me today. I am ... - Good night.'
                        - I really try hard to learn him by heart. But somehow, he is unique.
                        Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-10-16, 06:28. Reason: I really try hard to stay on topic!

Comment

It will be clean

Comment

Working...
                          X