Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no blanks in filenames ?

Hi,

my uploads on jp became very rare since a longer time.
    The sole reason is, that no blanks in the filenames are allowed.
    For example: Q33A2210-2 Gross Filter

Everey photographer has its own system to name his files. So are mine for my personal needs.
    It is simply waste of time for me to change by every upload the filenames and change them back after upload.
    In all other databases I don't have this problem.

Can that be adjusted?

Good night!

Rainer Spoddig

Simple answer is no. Just like a lot of other websites our systems do not accept blanks in file names. I use an underscore instead of a blank.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Hi,

thanks for your quick answer.

BTW: A.net and ppt.net have no problems with blanks in the filenames and I regard them also as major dbs like Jp.net.

So this means extra work for me which I only will do from time to time and not regulary. Little sad.

Brgds

R.Spoddig

Comment

It may be something that can be looked at in the future when the programming team re-code the upload/queue system but for now they are concentrating on the front end redesign so it wouldn't be something that can be implemented in the immediate future. Until then you will need to rename your photos.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

So I look forward when it will be changed one day.

Comment

I will add this to the backlog so we can look into it when the time comes to redevelop the upload/queuing system. I can't make any promises at the moment if this will be included or not.

Comment

Extra work !! You call the addition of two underscores extra work. _ _. There, that took me under 2 seconds. And the file names with underscores in them will be perfectly acceptable on every other site that you use.

Comment

brianw999: I don't know why I deserved it, that you pick on me like that!
                It is not done in 2 seconds. Opening the mainfile on my pc, selecting and clicking on the pics name, change it and rechange it after upload.
                And this up to twenty times! Not only the time is my point, also that it makes no fun in my rare time off.

If it is possible, that this can be changed in one of the dbs updates in the future without too much extra work/money like B7772ADL and laurencefr24 wrote I would be thankful. I can imagine that there are other photographers, who have the same "problems" but didn't mentioned them for their own reasons.
                But it is your db, you decide for it and I decide, what I will or will not do in my time off.

Comment

I certainly wasn't picking on you in any way. I don't understand why you absolutely must have spaces in the file name ? Most websites don't allow spaces. To be honest, I think you are making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill.
                  Last edited by brianw999; 2016-10-11, 14:48.

Comment

Many many years ago I started to name my files with spaces .
                    Probably I won't do it again. But this system is established now and I will not change it because this would mean that I would have to change thousands other files too to find them in my file-system.
                    And like I wrote in my previous post airliners.net and planepictures.net, for me the other two major planpictures dbs, accept spaces in filenames.

Comment

HI,
                      are there any improvements/changes in uploading with blanks in the files after the relaunch of the site

Greetings

Rainer

Comment

Originally posted by comet1 View Post
                        HI,
                        are there any improvements/changes in uploading with blanks in the files after the relaunch of the site

Greetings

Rainer
                        You will be pleased to learn that spaces are now permitted in filenames.

Comment

Thank you for that improvement and the effort caused to it!!! ��

Comment

Working...
                          X