Take a tour of one of the brand new Delta Airbus A321 cabins

Originally posted by mtrainer90 View Post
    Take a tour of one of the brand new Delta Airbus A321 cabins
    [...]
    This time I don't care much about the video, as I assume that between a
    LH-A321
    and a
    DL-A321
    there is not such a big difference. This is at least true for the B744, if you only count the seats. Of course, the destinations differ. My next simulator flight is, after the return to the LH-B744 home base, SeaTac. In Memoriam the Inventor.

"Your airline" tries to replace the B763 by the A321? [en wiki says that.] I wonder for a short moment.
    Alot of airlines have tried to get rid of the 767. And I'd never assumed that Qantas gives their B763ER to the shredder so that the QF-B744 survives. I'd rather assumed the complete opposite! But I am happy with every 747 operator on this planet.

A B744 can replace two A321s. But can one A321 replace one B763?
    B763(ER) - a little bit more than 180 feet long (54.9 meter), provides a two aisle lay out with 2-3-2 seats in a row, 259 seats, afaik.
    A321 - 146 feet long (44.5 meter), as we all know it, single aisle, 200 seats, afaik.

Sometimes, I wonder...

PS: Tell it like it is (Don Johnson). Wow, there are a few people who could join the "50 years in service - B747" celebrations, in 2019.
    Back on topic. DL is a well known airline here.
    And I can't really imagine that they come in here with something else than what they use this tuesday morning (/w winglets!).
    Clearly more than 3,900 nmi, ... on board an A321? Not really.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-09-13, 00:31. Reason: B763ER
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
      This time I don't care much about the video...
      Keep in mind though, that this is not officially from the Delta.com website, nor likely funded by them. This is an amateur videographer that is taking their time out (likely unpaid) to do this, and so - despite wanting to see more from the cabin - the video accurately markets itself and provides to that title well - with exactly what is advertised - a 'walk-through'. Brief, and much more like the average experience of the every day passenger.

Of note, though - is how beautiful the cabin looks. Kudos to DL for coming intelligently, and strongly into the new era with clean and fresh interiors that continue the Delta Blue theme forward. Considering that domestically - all major airlines are moving forward with extensive upgrade programs (AA with the cabin upgrades, new arrivals and repainting - UA with the Polaris upgrade, and new fleet arrivals - WN with new cabins, uniforms, and c/s - AS with their new c/s and cabins, and then we have the VX aquistion - B6 with "Mint") DL has solidified itself as a global competitor (and that is from me - someone that is not usually a fan of DL) and they deserve some appreciation for the jump.

as I assume that between a
      LH-A321 and a DL-A321 there is not such a big difference.
      For your next Lufthansa flight, use this seating chart to get the most comfortable seats, legroom, and recline on .

LH's A321-100s (20 in fleet), and A321-200s (40 in fleet);

- Of note, LH is currently set to receive 40 A321-NEOs, of which the cabin layout is yet confirmed.

For your next Delta flight, use this seating chart to get the most comfortable seats, legroom, and recline on .

DL's A321-200s (10 in service, 72 more coming); 20 First (36" Pitch, 21" Width - 2X2 layout), 29 Delta Comfort+ (34" Pitch, 18" Width - 3X3 layout), 143 Economy (31" Pitch, 18" Width).

Geography here does play a significant role in how these aircraft are purposed.
      In the U.S, the A321's current range effectively makes it a Trans-Continental capable platform whose cost are some of the lowest on the market. If you are a large A32X family operator - adding the A321 only slightly increases costs of operation, while still maintaining fleet commonality and flexibility brought to you by the economies of scale. It's a compelling argument - especially considering that, at least until an announcement from Boeing about the MOM, or the 737-10MAX ('Mad-Max') - has not other currently produced competitor (the 737-900ERs anemic sales are, just that - the 757 is out of production, and the 737-MAX 9 is not yet available). As U.S. carriers have sought to increase their capacities - they have all done so by up-gauging their aircraft (and the A321 has been happily lapping up the market in abundance).

It is for this reason that the A321 at DL is configured to capture a more premium market - and not, as with LH's not likely advantaged as well as DL is against the amount of competition within the same aircraft range.
      Case in point - LH's A321s can be relitavely easily converted back to and 'all-economy' layout within a matter of minutes. DL's fixing are more permanent. I expect to see DL's A321s stretch their legs a bit more than LH's will have need to. Also, of note - DL's A321s are fabulously new. LH is still in possession of A321-100s. Another contrast - will not only be services offered on board (an authentic 'first class' service, amenities, et al) - cabin decor is almost starkly contrasting. Both cabins offer different feels, on different missions, with different services in most cases.

"Your airline" tries to replace the B763 by the A321?
      "Replacement" is never an exacting science. The only aircraft that can 'replace' (in the sense that you are employing) a 767-300, is an identically equipped 767-300.

DL is coming to a conclusion with their 767 fleet - they need to go. DL then has begin removing the oldest and least efficient - keeping a select few that will be refreshed, and then deployed where the 767 will shine best in the fleet. An A321 will more closely 'replace' a 767-200 (which, an airline like AA did by launching the A321T). At DL though; 737-900ERs (65 in fleet, 55 coming), 757-200s Domestic (87 in fleet), 757-200s International (23 in fleet), 757-300 (16 in fleet) - can be right-sized and frequencies adjusted to handle any domestic challenge that the 767 fleet would handle, and all of these will now be supplemented by the further A321 arrivals. On the Airbus side; A330-200 (11 in fleet), A330-300 (29 in fleet, 2 coming), A330-900NEO (25 coming), and A350-900 (25 coming) - handles any expectation at the higher end of the capacity/range question. To add to that - the 787-8 (18 on order), 777-200ER (8 in fleet) and 777-200LR (10 in fleet) add to the portfolio for DL - which now has the flexibility to precisely right size aircraft to market conditions.

Alot of airlines have tried to get rid of the 767.
      The Billion Dollar question;

Airlines around the world are eager to buy a new commercial middle-of-the-market (MOM) aircraft that Boeing is considering building.

"On the question of narrowbody versus widebody aircraft, 60% of respondents said they would consider a twin-aisle widebody jet—which would allow faster boarding and unloading of passengers—as long as it was compatible with existing airport infrastructure. Almost half of respondents would prefer an aircraft sized at 150–199 seats, with another 27% favoring 200–249 seats.

A lot of the enthusiasm comes from people who really want a [Boeing] 757/767 replacement, ” he says. “But we’ve looked at the issue closely, and Boeing really can’t get this kind of thing to market much before 2025. It’s still worth doing, but some of this enthusiasm might diminish by then.”

The MOM is meant to address the real issue for Boeing - the lack of something smaller than the 787. At present, they are also considering the 737-10MAX - which may be complimentary, but both seem to have very different missions.

And I'd never assumed that Qantas gives their B763ER to the shredder so that the QF-B744 survives. I'd rather assumed the complete opposite! But I am happy with every 747 operator on this planet.
      "Shredder" - haha, well WestJet is many things...

A B744 can replace two A321s. But can one A321 replace one B763?
      In the U.S., though - we rarely have the need for such a replacement. In most cases, it is cheaper to operate 2 A321s, than 1 747-400 - and then consider the other issue; frequency. AA could have purposed their 767-300 fleet as their 'Trans-continental' product - but they went with the A321. Watching B6's Mint - DL is looking at two competitors who stepped their game up on their A321s. Will DL follow suit? At least if they chose to do so, they have the plane to do it with (more than 'half the battle').

B763(ER) - a little bit more than 180 feet long (54.9 meter), provides a two aisle lay out with 2-3-2 seats in a row, 259 seats, afaik.
      A321 - 146 feet long (44.5 meter), as we all know it, single aisle, 200 seats, afaik.
      However if you do not need the range of the 763 (at the upper end of the spectrum) then it is essentially wasted on many of the missions that the A321 will now inherit - allowing the 767 to really be used more efficiently on routes where it is needed. On a route like ATL-JFK; if you had to provide for 1000 seats - you will get 4 767 flights, or 5 A321 flights - with that extra frequency now being able to add to DL's portfolio to customers.

Back on topic. DL is a well known airline here.
      That is impressive - considering that DL does not have a German partner (no SkyTeam German members, no JV/ATI partners based in Germany) - thus making their presence in the market noteworthy (considering effectively having hubs at CDG, AMS and now at LHR with the VS partnership, and with AZ at FCO).
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post

[...]

That is impressive - considering that DL does not have a German partner (no SkyTeam German members, no JV/ATI partners based in Germany) - thus making their presence in the market noteworthy (considering effectively having hubs at CDG, AMS and now at LHR with the VS partnership, and with AZ at FCO).
        Should I feel honored because you, as one of the inventors of the Jetphotos platform - as I assume, tried to quote me 8 times (in words: eight) within one entry?
        I think so.

But how many entries do you give me to answer? Eight? And would you be bothered if I don't quite get through to your quotation #1 this saturday? I mean, 90 minutes left, @ 1036 pm CEST . Let me try and begin with #8.

My home airport indeed stands for a broad variety of international and intercontinental airlines. Some people say, LH here tried to order more space, more positions, etc.
        A few months ago there even was a rumour that LH planned to install at least one flight with the doubledecker airbus (A388_) at DUS. Obviously, until today the 'more space' order
        was not really delivered, or let's say, another airline was served first...

The result is, we have at least 5 Skyteam members here: The Russians, The French, AZ, DL and KL.

ATLcrew might correct me, but DL (with winglets) comes in here at least as long as I am a Jetphotos member. So, indeed, DUS spotters are not only used to Skyteam jets, but also to one of the rare B763ER here.

You call it impressive, and I begin to call it strange. Afaik, DUS has become a notable place for international airlines, but not for LH.
        I don't know why.
        Today, DUS provides
        this
        instead of O'Hare with LH. So that I really wonder, was it a conscious decision, to leave four, five or six really attractive longhaul destinations at DUS to the competitors?
        As this example by far is not the only one...

You see, I only got through #8 this saturday. But it seems that even loyal men like you and me use foreign ships... in very rare occasions, and only due to research purposes...

Comment

[...]
          However if you do not need the range of the 763 (at the upper end of the spectrum) then it is essentially wasted on many of the missions that the A321 will now inherit - allowing the 767 to really be used more efficiently on routes where it is needed. On a route like ATL-JFK; if you had to provide for 1000 seats - you will get 4 767 flights, or 5 A321 flights - with that extra frequency now being able to add to DL's portfolio to customers.
          I have heard of some forum rules. But they differ, dependent on who you ask. Some people say, avoid lengthy entries. I know two men who sometimes forget about that restriction...
          You should not either write a series of more than 2 entries. So, what do they want us to do, if there is ALOT of material?
          Probably they should simply join the discussion...

Is there a case where a widebody LH jet has ever been used for regular domestic flights ... I'd say no, but we don't have either these distances. A few weeks ago, I've learned that JFK-HNL is a typical B763ER route (at the upper end of the spectrum, as you say). Incredible.
          FRA-TLV once was a LH-B744 route, but today you find there ...
          A321, of course.
          That seems like a common decision, where possible, rather more flights with less passengers than vice versa. For HNL that does not work, right.

PS: To be cont'd, with #6 to 1. And we are flexible for guests, in case of more than 1 airline with B763ER... Do You know where you originally wanted to come in?
          For bad weather diversions, I'd clearly prefer a widebody...
          Does not appear on the guest list, but why not...
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-09-17, 23:37. Reason: 6 quotations are still under progress

Comment

[...]

In the U.S., though - we rarely have the need for such a replacement. In most cases, it is cheaper to operate 2 A321s, than 1 747-400 - and then consider the other issue; frequency. AA could have purposed their 767-300 fleet as their 'Trans-continental' product - but they went with the A321. Watching B6's Mint - DL is looking at two competitors who stepped their game up on their A321s. Will DL follow suit? At least if they chose to do so, they have the plane to do it with (more than 'half the battle').
            Let's continue with #6, if our DUS eagleeye allows me to (he knows that he's mentioned)...

A321neo HUD, that's exactly what we expect to be delivered. But on the Super Longhaul (5,000 nmi or more) I don't see the advantage of a HUD, at least not if it comes as a device that physically (!) has to be removed out of your windshield, if you don't need it!
            The 747 exists, and I have the inventor on tape, since 1969 without a HUD, until today. Nobody, and I think I can speak for me and my favourite airline, asked Mr Joe Sutter for a HUD, before he presented the B748 intercontinental to the World in 2011.

Frequency is a good point. A jet that you and me find between all five continents almost seems to be misused if only flown between JFK and the SF bay.
            And that would not be a really short 747 route.
            -
            'She' wants more. And I try to give it to her.
            SeaTac is coming, in memorian the inventor, after the return from Mr Jimmy Fallon. I am only searching for a good route, as I don't have a source with private access for my simulator where all company routes are presented on a silver platter, as many people seem to believe...
            Clearly more than 4,400 nmi, which doesn't make the 744 completely happy, but, it is a beginning.

PS: VS is an airline that even Europeans tend to 'forget' when they mention 744 operators. Thanks for that hint. I don't know how many occasions are allowed in 6 months by the CEO, where loyal people are sent out due to research purposes. Imho, two destinations should be allowed. And I have a waiting list (!). A last AF-B744 flight because I announced it in the simulator section. Then, the question, what would I do if LH wouldn't exist? Well, the Air Canada Ice colors are on #2.
            So, I don't know if VS wants to fly their 744s until the 1st quarter of 2017.
            I am curious, only... four 744 passenger jet operators in Europe are left?
            Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-09-24, 23:43. Reason: Short 747 routes

Comment

#5.

Well. Is it another secret if I say that, when I became a Jetphotos member, there was a quite prominent B763ER pilot here on this platform. You probably know who I'm thinkin of. Back then, he had his own forum section, which he supervised more than other forum sections. I have him in mind, every time I write 'B763ER'.
              The fear that an employer takes away your everyday working tool is in my mind since I know where B763ERs disappeared. Now you say that exactly these a/c appeared again, more than 7,000 nmi away from... [he knows that he is mentioned]. That really can't be an option for him.

For me, it wouldn't, not if the distance is longer than one LH-B744 nonstop flight...

Sometimes, I find it boring that the A321 is so unbelievably widespread, between Texas, Europe, India, et cetera... But with that little story in mind, it seems to be a factor for a workplace with future...

PS: Is it a duty for a pilot to look for a workplace with future? Well, I am only an aviation enthusiast, and I am interested in the 747 future. The second option is, gain a new type rating. But since I operate a semipro 744 simulator, I have a rough idea what this could mean..
              Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-10-06, 23:55. Reason: A workplace with future.

Comment

Keep in mind though, that this is not officially from the Delta.com website, nor likely funded by them. This is an amateur videographer that is taking their time out (likely unpaid) to do this
                Correct, I have no affiliation with Deltas marketing team. I mainly just do it because Google puts Ads on my Youtube, so really its only slightly unpaid

despite wanting to see more from the cabin - the video accurately markets itself and provides to that title well - with exactly what is advertised - a 'walk-through'. Brief, and much more like the average experience of the every day passenger.
                Do people really want to see smoke and mirrors and other BS? For the most part I try and make this videos so that the people watching them know what they are flying on (I think that's where a good portion of the views come from) and not some factory fresh airplane with some smoking hot FA with expensive wine and great food like most airline commercials would lead you to believe

Comment

Working...
                X