Joe Sutter, Father of the 747, 1921-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Sutter, Father of the 747, 1921-2016

This morning we lost one of the giants of aerospace and a beloved member of the Boeing family. Joe Sutter, the “Father of the 747,” passed away at the age of 95.

Joe lived an amazing life and was an inspiration – not just to those of us at Boeing, but to the entire aerospace industry. He personified the ingenuity and passion for excellence that made Boeing airplanes synonymous with quality the world over.

Early in Joe’s career, he had a hand in many iconic commercial airplane projects, including the Dash 80, its cousin the 707 and the 737. But it was the 747 – the world’s first jumbo jet – that secured his place in history.

Joe led the engineering team that developed the 747 in the mid-1960s, opening up affordable international travel and helping connect the world. His team, along with thousands of other Boeing employees involved in the project, became known as the Incredibles for producing what was then the world’s largest airplane in record time – 29 months from conception to rollout. It remains a staggering achievement and a testament to Joe’s “incredible” determination.

Joe Sutter, who was dubbed “Father of the 747” by the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, has died at age 95.

95 is an incredible age, especially for a man. Nobody in my family, and I am just thinking back to the mother of my father, born 1915, has reached that age until today.

Did he feel that his heritage, the Boeing 747, survives him by far? And that she is in good hands?
    ['Friedlich eingeschlafen.', we say in Germany.]

The 747 celebrates 50 years in service only in 2019. Only 1 quite famous man (from the Netherlands), who I also only know from Television, would've been able to serve such a super long haul: Mr Johannes Heesters, who died at the age of 108 years.

What a loss. I think the next LH 490 deserves at least a black ribbon on the upper deck... ...

Always a hand wide air under the belly for our inventor and chief engineer.
    He survived alot... AZ 747s, AF 747s (1970-2015), ...

Sleepless in Seattle. Thank God, I have you 'on tape', Mr Joe Sutter.

Today, the Jetphotos platform still lacks a saluting smiley (in German: vor jm. den Hut ziehen.)! Also because, at the age of 90, he tried to sell his newest invention, the B748i. Well. He didn't have to convince me...

What until his death remained a little bit in the shadow, we are no longer the only operators of the 748i... e.g. Seoul also has (re-)discovered the earliest/most often tested doubledecker passenger jet in aviation history...

My Jetphotos existence is only online because of Mr Joe Sutter. Otherwise I wouldn't be here, or at least not since 2008.
    Sunglasses to hide the eyes.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-08-31, 01:40. Reason: I have you 'on tape'!
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

He's left the stage with a smile. A real prototype.
      The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
      This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Working...
      X