No announcement yet.

Cabins as wide as the DC-10's cabin?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabins as wide as the DC-10's cabin?...

The last widebody aircraft that I flew on was the DC-10, which I loved. Are there any commercial aircraft in service today that have a cabin that is the same width as the DC-10?

Yes.

Comment

The DC-10's maximum interior width was 18ft 2in (5.54 meters).

Therefore, I am going to focus my answers on fuselages are there 18 feet wide (or larger), thus excluding the 767 (at 15ft 6in, 4.72 meters ) or the A330 (at 17ft, 5.18 meters) - or smaller.

The 787's cabin width is smaller, at 18ft (5.49 meters).

For the 777-200/300 variants, interior width is 19ft 3 in (5.87 meters).
      For the 777-8/9 variants, interior width is 19ft 7in (5.97 meters).

The 747-8 comes in with a maximum interior width of 20 ft 1in (6.13 meters).

The A350 (XWB, am I right?) impresses with an interior width of 19ft 6in (5.96 meters).

The A380 has an interior cabin (of the lower, and larger cabin) width of 21ft 4 in (6.5 meters),
      and, an upper interior cabin width of 19ft (5.8 meters).

Ultimately, the feel of the DC-10 cabins were spacious, as they were also less competitive. In today's highly competitive environment, what should be an 8-abrest 787 becomes 9-abrest, and less comfortable. Long gone are the 'older style seats' - now, slimline, and hurtful rule the skies.

I think that even with modern aircraft, you are likely seldom going to find the same ambiance (of the DC-10's cabin) on a modern equivalent. That said, we have also rid ourselves of the DC-10's limitations, and opened up to new possibilities (and challenges).
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

I've heard nothing but good things about the 777's cabin, although I've never flown on one. I've read a TON of complaints about the 787 cabin on seatguru.com. People complain that it's not as wide as that of the 777, yet airlines still cram in the same number of seats. People do comment positively about it's effects on jet lag-but being a native of Denver, Colorado, I'm not sure how much I'd notice. The 767-400 gets rave reviews; people really seem to love it.

Comment

Originally posted by UALdave View Post
          I've heard nothing but good things about the 777's cabin, although I've never flown on one. I've read a TON of complaints about the 787 cabin on seatguru.com. People complain that it's not as wide as that of the 777, yet airlines still cram in the same number of seats. People do comment positively about it's effects on jet lag-but being a native of Denver, Colorado, I'm not sure how much I'd notice. The 767-400 gets rave reviews; people really seem to love it.
          For a moment, let's talk about seat pitches, seat widths, and seat layouts.

The 787, when originally marketed by Boeing, was an 8-abreast aircraft.

In a 2-4-2 configuration (and with only 8 seats across) the aisles are wider, and so are the seats.

Case in point, is JAL's opulent (by competitor's standards) 787 layouts, of particular note;
          For your next Japan Airlines flight, use this seating chart to get the most comfortable seats, legroom, and recline on .

44 Business, 35 Premium Economy (at 42" seat pitch, and 2-3-2 layout so 19.2" seat width), and 116 Economy (at 33" seat pitch, and 2-4-2 layout so a 18.9" seat width).

Cross the Pacific though, and arrive at Air Canada;
          For your next Air Canada flight, use this seating chart to get the most comfortable seats, legroom, and recline on .

30 Business, 21 Premium Economy (at 38" seat pitch, a 2-3-2 layout, so a 19.5" seat width), and 247 Economy (at 31" seat pitch, a 3-3-3 layout, so a 17.3" seat width).

The 777s have been under pressure to up the seat counts as well, and so we have arrived at some carriers with 10-abrest in coach via a 3-4-3 seat layout.

As is the case with AirFrance;
          For your next Air France flight, use this seating chart to get the most comfortable seats, legroom, and recline on .

42 Business, 24 Premium Economy (at 38" seat pitch, in a 2-4-2 layout, so a 19" seat width), and 317 Economy (with 32" seat pitch, in a 3-4-3 layout, so a 17" seat width).

The 767 ends up in a particular sweet spot. As most, are rather on the older side (and many nearing retirement), investing newer technologies (and thus, refurbishing them) has been of a lesser priority which mean that was 767s were out there often had 'outdated' (read; larger, less slimline, and by most accounts - more comfortable).

Coming home for a roost;

If you want wide-bodied cabin, and the best feel of space - you're in luck. All 3 major US carriers operate them! Increasingly, we are seeing some carriers re-purpose older widebodies to domestic uses (as more efficient/younger replacement arrived). The current lower fuel prices, general industry capacity gains, and shrinking capacity at airports to handle increases in traffic have lead to some of those cases being clear.

UA will refresh some of their 777s, to this configuration, for domestic purposes.
          United will be retrofitting 19 of its 777s, adding 3-4-3 seating in the economy cabin and 2-2-2 life-flat business seats up front.

This raises the point that I was originally tied to. In these configurations, for these uses - the 777 is essentially operating routes that were previously DC-10 routes. Subtracting one engine, and adding capacity - the airline, the market, and the needs evolved away from the DC-10.

If, by some miracle - DC-10s were still in passenger operation today, and financially competitive to either an Airbus or Boeing offering - it too would succumb to market pressure to be as efficient as possible. If still around, I'd bet half a farm, it would not be nearly as comfortable.
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
            Yes.
            Yes. You can simply ask me, or an UA-B744 pilot.
            'Interior cabin width' = exactly 20 feet or 6.1 m,
            for each 747 that has been built since 1969 (742, 744, 748, ...).
            -- That reminds me of that cord, in a recent broadcast.

AA 1818 has perceived it yet, the 773ER is not quite that wide. But we share the two-aisle layout: 3-4-3 in a row, in the rear part of the cabin. The passenger seats mostly make a difference. Examples.
            AA-B773ER is listed with 310 passenger seats. That seems ok for me and I feel comfortable. But not all airlines on this planet accept less than 300 passengers in a 773...

A 773ER (single deck) should not provide more seats than a 744, not the matter how long they dare to stretch that 777.

Now you guess how many.. you aren't curious, are you. I should send you to the official airline's homepage.
            371 for a B744 in the official year 2016 layout (confirmed by the airline):
            67 + 32 + 272 ... 371 on 2 passenger decks,
            if my calculator is right.

This is why I love her. After almost 50 years in worldwide service, there are only 2 birds who can really compete against the 747 (-400):
            748i
            and
            the doubledecker Airbus.
            Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-08-25, 05:59. Reason: The cord.
            The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
            The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
            And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
            This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Since that broadcast with 'The cord' I wondered several times if someone of us has a living room where he could demonstrate 'The cord'-trick.

Birds that tell stories and who fill books, I really love it. If I'm able to remember one or two scenes of that broadcast... Even the 747 inventor was NOT accredited to the room where 'the cord' later was demonstrated, due to 'a rather less improved diplomatic skill', he names it like that or similar.
              Some people are just great, not the matter when they are born.
              So even he only knows the result of 'the cord' from TV?

For that trick you need a living room where at least one wall is 20 feet - 6.1 metres or more, and a cord of that size. That's where Boeing-747 passengers find their seat since 1969 -
              in 1 row.

Since here also exists a 773ER discussion, I tried to find out what a 744 should be with only 1 deck. Did 1 Jetphotos member ever take out his ruler and did he try to measure?

As far as I've come with my ruler, the upper deck of a 744 is longer than 62 feet (19 Meter). The Wright Brothers First flight was less than twice the 744 upper deck...
              With only 1 deck... a 744 would be ... 89,6 Meter or 294 feet?
              Ah, this is why she impresses me with space. This bird had to be invented, if there wasn't one man who already did it.

I don't think that a 777 should be stretched that far.
              Crazy late night thoughts of a 747 lover...
              Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-08-31, 03:21. Reason: Self-criticism was not naturally for an inventor.

Comment

Thank God I have him on tape. The inventor has died. But his heritage is in good hands.

Mr Joe Sutter (1921 - 2016), the man who survived Juan T. Trippe by...
                absolute 35 years, and at least
                14 years of experience in life....

It is an honor for me to have been able to listen to the inventor, during his last appearance on German TV. Sunglasses, to hide the eyes..

PS: His youngest daughter, the 748i is born there. Thus, Where Else On this Planet should 747s meet:
                In honor of Mr Sutter, sleepless in a 747.

In presence of his dob..., his dignity and
                his ability for self-criticism (which is quite rare among people who are known on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean...),
                there only 1 melody comes to my mind, which was also chosen by a man who died in January 2006:
                BWV 147 - Chorale Jesus bleibet meine Freude.
                Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-08-31, 02:29. Reason: Where the 747s meet.

Comment

Working...
                X