Determine Tail # before flight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determine Tail # before flight?

Is there a way to determine the tail # of an a/c prior to the actual flight (besides showing up at gate and looking out window) i.e. for a flight tomorrow evening, routine/schedule JFK to LHR?

I know it's a 772 but wondering if the actual a/c can be determined.

For some flights, tail numbers are shown on the flightradar24 departure boards.

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Comment

Originally posted by obmot View Post
      It can be.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
        It can be.
        Yes. Some intercontinental airports publish the a/c type code (e.g. 748_) and even the full registration (e.g. .. - .. .. victor papa) a few minutes before take off...
        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by obmot View Post
          Is there a way to determine the tail # of an a/c prior to the actual flight (besides showing up at gate and looking out window) i.e. for a flight tomorrow evening, routine/schedule JFK to LHR?

As I said in post #4. But I am not sure with JFK. Your airline?
          I ask because I didn't find yet a 772 on that route...
          BA-B744
          AA-B773ER

I have a suspicion. There is one airline that does not publish a/c type codes preflight, and they operate 772ER and 772LR... The only US American airline who we expect here every mornin, 0845 local (with winglets!).

For ATLcrew, that shouldn't be difficult question...
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-08-19, 23:18. Reason: a/c types

Comment

Well. I am just 'telephoning' with JFK, and they confirm what I perceived in #5...

There are airlines who don't publish a/c type codes (completely disregarding a/c registrations) preflight, not either if you knew your flight number.

There are some who do, and some who don't..

PS: There is one last solution. You could ask a Jetphotos spotter who is based near JFK. Probably he has seen one or two 772s at 'his' airport in the last, let's say 12 months.
            Let me try one thing, and I hope they like it, as they don't really appear here at jetphotos that often (!):
            B772ER at JFK

After a closer look now I have a question. Why do you need the tail #? Even if this was an airline who publishes the a/c reg, the tail # doesn't help you at the airport, in case you are walkin through JFK to find 'your' a/c!
            Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-08-24, 22:18. Reason: B772ER

Comment

Working...
            X