LOCKHEED L-1011 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOCKHEED L-1011 Question

I was flying out of Love Field in Dallas, TX last week aboard Southwest Airlines. While taxing out for take off, I spotted an L-1011 parked on the tarmac in the distance. It had a tail number, but I was too far away to read the number with the naked eye. Other than that the L-1011 was all white with no distinctive paint job or livery markings. It was probably just passing through the area.

Does anyone here have any knowledge as to the ownership of an all white L-1011 being in the Dallas area last week. Just an interesting sighting and would be nice to know more about it if anyone here has the answer.

I don't think it would have been the Orbital Science Corp. L-1011 because their plane has markings on it, unless they are currently in the process of having it repainted?

Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by Rick G; 2016-08-13, 14:22. Reason: Grammar error

Dont think it was a TriStar. Only the Orbital one is airworthy.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Well I don't know what else I can tell you in the way of information. I've always known an L-1011 when I've seen one. And I appreciate and understand the difference in appearance between the DC-10's / MD-11's / KC-10's, vs. L-1011's, ESPECIALLY in the design of the tail sections and the two distinct mounting designs of the center engine in the tail.

What I spotted was an L-1011, no mistake. And it wasn't just a forgotten derelict abandoned hulk setting off to the side in a field or where ever. This L-1011 was setting on the ramp in an active area, and it appeared perfectly whole, intact and flyable. In fact, there were indeed a couple of service vehicles parked beside it when I spotted it. I only wish I was closer to have been able to read the tail number.

Perhaps this is an aircraft which was just brought out of mothballs from desert storage, and was in transit to a new home? Or perhaps it was a foreign registered aircraft visiting from overseas?

Well, I just thought it would be a newsworthy report or item of interest here. Maybe someone else here will see the thread here and have some knowledge of this mystery L-1011.

Comment

Well the only one who is being made airworthy is still at Tucson. I cant think of another active TriStar.
        I am not saying you havent seen one... only I cant find an active frame besides the Orbital one.

Erwin

Comment

Thanks Erwin. Sounds like an evolving story here. It will be interesting to see where this aircraft turns up.

In the meantime, could you please share any information you may have regarding the L-1011 being made airworthy in Tucson? What will be its purpose? Is it possible that I have seen this aircraft of which you speak, in Dallas, because it may already actually be flying?

Or perhaps I did see the Orbital Science L-1011 if it may be currently undergoing repainting, and I caught it in its "underwear" so to speak? Is there a way of verifying any possible paint work currently in progress on the Orbital L-1011?

Comment

The Orbital was recenly repainted.

The former flying hospital L1011 is now being made airworthy by Tristar Experience. N910TE. She hasnt flown yet and is not white

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
              The Orbital was recenly repainted.

The former flying hospital L1011 is now being made airworthy by Tristar Experience. N910TE. She hasnt flown yet and is not white
              Well. If there was 1 Jetphotos spotter whom I'd like to meet personally, then it probably has to be you! Did you compare your photo database with Brian?

You own more photos than this British wannabe jetphotos king. My opinion:
              You better have less forum entries and More
              1) flight hours! which, if I am honest, I don't yet fulfil with my simulator, but at least almost...
              or
              2) photos.

16,000+ photos, on a different platform, that surely deserves an Award for Exellence. Let's be friends, among the 3 last airlines in Europe who operate the 744 passenger version.

After the LT-Tristars left us in 1996, I can only quote en wiki:
              " As of 2014, three L-1011 in the world are airworthy, and the Stargazer is the only one in the US."

Alot of things can happen in 30 years, on 1 cute small airport like EDDL...

747, 346, 773ER, and the Tristar, we've seen alot here...

PS: Recently, Mr Sutter appeared on German TV, who indeed celebrated his.. [we don't mention people who are older than 35] birthday in 2016. He complained about airlines who rather prefer the famous 78 7 instead of the legend 747. He didn't really talk about a Dutch airline... ?
              Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-08-20, 01:01. Reason: Tristar comparison
              The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
              The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
              And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
              This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Working...
              X