Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never mind grabbing bags to get off a plane...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never mind grabbing bags to get off a plane...

...this chap was running with them to get on the plane...

A man who jumped out of a disconnected jet bridge and ran across tarmac at an airport in Madrid caught his flight, but was arrested when it landed.He had a boarding pass and had cleared security, but had missed boarding for his flight to Gran Canaria.
    A video posted on Facebook showed him jumping from 10ft (3.5m) in the air, then shouldering two bags and running.The Associated Press news agency reports that he broke through fire escape doors to get to the tunnel.
    The man could face a fine of up to €45,000 (£38,400) under airport security laws.
    Traveller arrested after jumping out of disconnected jet bridge and running across tarmac to catch his flight at Spanish airport.

Obvious safety issues with people running around in an active airport... I'm amazed he was able to get on his plane.

Originally posted by sjwk View Post
    ...this chap was running with them to get on the plane...

Traveller arrested after jumping out of disconnected jet bridge and running across tarmac to catch his flight at Spanish airport.

Obvious safety issues with people running around in an active airport... I'm amazed he was able to get on his plane.
    Never mind the passenger, Ryanair, if indeed they were the carrier should be in serious shit for letting him board. Let's face it, the only way he could have got onboard would be via the built in steps on the 737 which means the captain had to deploy them after pushback.
    Last edited by brianw999; 2016-08-10, 16:35.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Good ole railroad mentality.

Cue the scene from Airplane! Better hurry son, the planes leaving!

Acknowledgement: Not_Karl for that idea.

...Obvious safety issues...

Meh...c'mon, aren't we taking things a little too far in this day and age?...ok, I don't want terrorists busting doors and planting stuff and yeah, it's procedurally VERY naughty, and the legal and insurance dept. will give themselves wedgies, but MOST OF US, anyway cold probably walk the ramp and not get sucked in an engine, nor run over by plane being pushed back...it ain't THAT fast, and I'm betting we could live to post on aviation forums for another day.

I have also survived a number of incidents walking to turboprop commuter planes, AND have walked general aviation ramps without getting limbs chopped off by propellers.

Run over by a drugged out rampie driving baggage tugs???...yeah maybe, but still, it ain't rocket surgery* to see and avoid when crossing a road nor an airport ramp.

*quote from another beloved forumite.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post

Meh...c'mon, aren't we taking things a little too far in this day and age?...ok, I don't want terrorists busting doors and planting stuff and yeah, it's procedurally VERY naughty, and the legal and insurance dept. will give themselves wedgies, but MOST OF US, anyway cold probably walk the ramp and not get sucked in an engine, nor run over by plane being pushed back...it ain't THAT fast, and I'm betting we could live to post on aviation forums for another day.

I have also survived a number of incidents walking to turboprop commuter planes, AND have walked general aviation ramps without getting limbs chopped off by propellers.

Run over by a drugged out rampie driving baggage tugs???...yeah maybe, but still, it ain't rocket surgery* to see and avoid when crossing a road nor an airport ramp.

Point taken, but from what we've seen of this chap, it's clear we're not talking about someone at the rocket surgeon end of the spectrum... Most of us wouldn't have decided it was a good idea to bust through locked doors, jump off a disconnected tunnel and run around the tarmac in the first place.

That said, something about the video seems ... Iffy to me after watching again. For someone in such a rush he does dawdle a bit, trying the door of the baggage cart, and the video stops short of showing him getting on a plane. Could it be staged by airport workers trying to make a viral video? Is there any other proof it happened as it does seem very unlikely he'd have been able to board a plane after push back rather than simply restrained and dealt with at the airport? BBC is a credible source but could easily fall for a story.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          Never mind the passenger, Ryanair, if indeed they were the carrier should be in serious shit for letting him board. Let's face it, the only way he could have got onboard would be via the built in steps on the 737 which means the captain had to deploy them after pushback.
          Ahh yeah, Riotair has these don't they... Do they actually use them for general boarding or are they just for 'late arrivals'?

This guy must have known that or what was he thinking? Climb in the gearbay? Very few airlines feature the internal airstairs.

Comment

I feel the guys pain a little bit - based on an experience I had circa 1998.

I was flying from IAH to LHR via BA, thence transfer to another BA flight to ARN. The BA flight from IAH was a 747 - left about 45 mins late. Due to weather or traffic I'm not sure, arrival to LHR was delayed a bit more so we landed about 1.5-2H late. Upon pulling up to gate and stopping I had exactly 1H to get to my connecting BA flight to ARN.

It took seemingly forever for people to deplane. And as soon as I got out I hauled (butt) to get to my connection. I went through the jetbridge, then halls this way that way left right...leading to a shuttle bus which took me to some arrival area...then a mad race through more halls and checkpoints...left right up down through one maybe two more checkpoints to show ticket etc...ended up directed to shuttle number 2 with just about 10 mins left...got to door inside up MORE stairs hauling (butt) and RAN to my connecting flight gate gasping for breath, "you just made it, let's get you onboard."

I get on the a.c. (a 737 I recall) sweating panting everyone seated staring at me as I gasped, find my seat midplane, window seat, slump down take my stuff and with my feet jam it all under the seat in from of me. I was utterly spent.

And after a few moments of recuperation, I looked out the window (looking out left wing) and what do I see, but parked exactly next to the 737 was the 747 I had arrived on 1H prior and had spent 60 minutes in an olympic track and field event going from it - to where I was now - not more than 200-300 feet linear separation (whatever a 747 + 737 wingspan is + 20 feet between).

Comment

I have better tactics than running through the ramp.

In a situation more or less similar than obmot's, I got to the gate of the second flight (Phoenix to El Paso) about 7 minutes before the official departure time. The plane was there, the jet bridge was there, but nobody was at the gate. I went to American's info desk that was just next to the gate and they told me that the flight was already closed and that I could not board, and they changed my ticket for the next flight that was to depart a couple of hours later in the gate that was exactly next to the one of the lost flight. I sat down, and I saw that the plane of the first flight was still there. The plane for my next flight eventually showed up at he next gate, so now we had 2 identical CRJs seating one next to the other. About 40 minutes after the original scheduled departure the pax and crew of the first flight got off the plane in a rush and started to board "my" second plane in a rush with the cabin crew yelling that if they didn't leave the gate in 15 minutes the crew would be over their work time and the flight would need to be cancelled. I figured out that not only this was an opportunity to take the original flight for which access had been denied to me, but also that the next flight (that was the last one of the day) had a risk to be delayed/cancelled as the airline struggled to repair the disabled plane or get a replacement in time. I showed up and said "Hello, I am Gabriel". She told me "Get on that plane and seat in the only seat that is available. We have been waiting for you". So I said "not long enough, so I disabled your plane"

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Hi.....!

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  Good ole railroad mentality.

Cue the scene from Airplane! Better hurry son, the planes leaving!

Acknowledgement: Not_Karl for that idea.

I agree, if you have ever flown from Airports like London City, Isle of Man, or Santorini that is basically how everyone boards.

Comment

Working...
                  X