Is this an aviation safety issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TV
    two weeks ago, AA cancelled a flight and categorically refused to give anyone their bags back, stating that the bags would be placed on the the next flight the following day WITHOUT REGARD to when the passengers would be sent! know why? it was too expensive for them to pull the bags out of the storage room, set them out on the carousel, then re-check them all the next day. MONEY baby. No regard for property rights or someone's desire to change their underwear/clothes etc. cheaper to screw your pax than treat them properly...
    Holy expelelitive lying PR we love our costumers baggage fee customer BS...

He'll yeah, let's do Evans regs and more...just to spite `em!
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

We can thank all the investment industries of the planet for the fact that publicly-owned corporations must IMPROVE profitability every reporting year. Or watch their stock price dive. In short, companies can never be satisfied with being profitable, they must be MORE profitable. Really, this doesn't even help most the owners of the stocks. It is what drives companies into one or another sort of stupidity. A reliable consistent profit SHOULD be the goal, but no. They just "exceed expectations". This is like a parent raising a family of brats. They may be ever so privileged, but what did the OTHER parents do for THEIR kids. Anyway, I'm less and less inclined to pay for a plane ticket in these conditions. To spend on a ticket is just rewarding excess.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
        We can thank all the investment industries of the planet for the fact that publicly-owned corporations must IMPROVE profitability every reporting year. Or watch their stock price dive. In short, companies can never be satisfied with being profitable, they must be MORE profitable.
        It is worse. They must be MORE profitable this year even if the actions affect the profitability of the following years.

Really, this doesn't even help most the owners of the stocks. It is what drives companies into one or another sort of stupidity. A reliable consistent profit SHOULD be the goal, but no. They just "exceed expectations". This is like a parent raising a family of brats. They may be ever so privileged, but what did the OTHER parents do for THEIR kids. Anyway, I'm less and less inclined to pay for a plane ticket in these conditions. To spend on a ticket is just rewarding excess.
        That's because public investors don't care a damn about the long term success of a company. They just put some money in the stocks and expect an ROI now, not in 5 years. With that ROI, it doesn't matter if the company struggles the next year: they just sell the stock and go to another one.

That's why some big companies that started like entrepreneurship and where the original entrepreneurs are still major shareholders are being re-bought by them and taken private, so they can make decisions thinking in the next 2, 5, 10 years, because they DO care about the company, not just the money.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

the real culprit in the failure of the airline industry is deregulation. prior to that, all airlines were profitable. yeah it was expensive to fly but so what? there was REAL service back then so I for one wouldn't mind. do i really care that every tom, dick, and mary can't afford to fly? not in the least bit.

the real problem with regulation is that it went the Evan-way: every gosh darn aspect of aviation and then travel was regulated to 99th degree.

click here for a good read. http://washingtonmonthly.com/magazin...inal-sickness/

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
            the real culprit in the failure of the airline industry is deregulation. prior to that, all airlines were profitable. yeah it was expensive to fly but so what? there was REAL service back then so I for one wouldn't mind. do i really care that every tom, dick, and mary can't afford to fly? not in the least bit.

the real problem with regulation is that it went the Evan-way: every gosh darn aspect of aviation and then travel was regulated to 99th degree.

click here for a good read. http://washingtonmonthly.com/magazin...inal-sickness/
            Hm. I have heard of something like deregulation. But after a quick research only a few seconds ago, I have found something which is almost as old as me:
            Airline Deregulation Act, published October 28, 1978
            --- [of course, it is also available in English. Sorry for the wrong link.]

>> So, is a rather late going-private an advantage? I really don't think so. I remember an expression like "Staatliche Fluggesellschaft.", in English: an airline in possession of the government. LH has been released into the free market in 1997.

--- Sometimes, the colleagues on the island seem to be one second faster in case of 'less over regulation', although the a/c type does not differ at all:
            BA has already been released in 1987. The earlier the better.
            But in both cases, I can't really imagine the name for what today is simply called an F/O:
            "Flugdienstbeamter zweiten Grades"? Horrible.

Public ownership is a burden. And LH has well developed since, imho.

As long as I own this nickname, I agree with you: 'it was expensive...' [and the following two sentences]. I wouldn't own this nickname if I couldn't agree with that.

Cheap is the opposite of safe - in my humble opinion. But a few days ago, I quoted Evan with an airline from the western hemisphere who we here expect every morning.
            And I'll never dare to call them cheap. In 2016, we shouldn't get used to computer problems.
            But in case of heat, we should be able to shut it down until
            a) a better cooling is installed
            or
            b) autumn.
            Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-08-30, 21:13. Reason: LH since 1997
            The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
            The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
            And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
            This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
              No, but you probably would mind if an airplane had to make five stops between, say, Cleveland and Newark.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                No, but you probably would mind if an airplane had to make five stops between, say, Cleveland and Newark.
                Go Getters Go Ozark! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFzfyrOtKIA
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Surely you're not trying to claim that before deregulation, nonstop flights weren't available from Cleveland to Newark? http://www.departedflights.com/EWR74p1.html
                  Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

i don't think that was an issue. of course i ain't old enough to know since my first flight wasn't until 2 years after dereg.

i do know that airlines were PROFITABLE. and the facts show that prices had been falling for a decade prior to dereg. i also know that the airlines themselves opposed deregulation.

as a very frequent flyer today, i also know that while there are lots of non-stops, it appears as though the hub system is rapidly changing the number of non-stops making travel a lot less convenient, especially when many of the offerings involve short layovers which inevitably leads to lots of missed connections and misplaced/delayed bags.

but hey, as you appear to be an airline employee, you probably know better...

Comment

Post deregulation megamergers have reduced the number of hubs to a handful of cities and everything flies through them. I doubt there were fewer non-stops back then.

Comment

Derregulation sounded well with 20 airlines, but with 3...

I am all for free market, but if there is one thing that is worse for the free market than regulation, that's concentration.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                          Derregulation sounded well with 20 airlines, but with 3...

I am all for free market, but if there is one thing that is worse for the free market than regulation, that's concentration.
                          The purpose of regulation has always been to provide for a sustainable free market. There can be no free market without it. Deregulation leads to concentrated monopolies and the subsequent deterioration of quality. As we are starting to learn... If we didn't still have threadbare regulations against trusts and price fixing, flying would be an even more expensive and dreadful experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                            If we didn't still have threadbare regulations against trusts and price fixing, flying would be an even more expensive and dreadful experience.
                            you mean anti-trust. this was actually some of the thinking the fools utilized in justifying deregulation. obviously after the reagan administration, none have actually stood against the massive consolidation that has occurred in our domestic airline industry.

funny (and sad) thing is, all the ceo's asserting that mergers will be good for the industry and the public have lied not only to the government, but to themselves and wall street. this is PROVEN by how poorly they continue to perform over decades. one cannot look at a few recent years, where airlines have lined their pockets with extra, quasi-hidden fees. when oil goes back up, and it certainly will, those fees will not be enough to sustain the recent profits gained by short-sighted policies.

Comment

Another computer network meltdown at Heathrow today. BA issuing hand-written boarding passes. Unless they are forced by REGULATION to upgrade these decrepit systems with solid redundancy, this will become the new normal. Business doesn't regulate itself. Market forces are useless when the focus is on shareholder profits.

British Airways apologises to angry passengers facing delays after an IT glitch affects check-in desks.

Comment

except: "In July, British Airways apologised to passengers who faced long delays at check-in at Heathrow and Gatwick.

The airline was upgrading its check-in system and problems led to lengthy queues on one of the busiest days of the year for the airports."

Comment

Working...
                                X