Delta Airlines Disaster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta Airlines Disaster.

Hi everyone. I'm a novice consumer needing some insight. I was on a recent flight from sacremento and we experienced a mid air nose dive during our decent. I called delta and politely asked for insight. I was put on hold and was then told it was turbulence. I don't think so!! I noticed that the plane was tilted downward at a sharp angle. We felt like we're were on a roller coaster during the free fall drop. Absolutely terrifying. I emailed them and am awaiting a reply. I tracked our flight and was able to see exactly what we experienced in the form of a bar graph. Please see the attachment. I would appreciate any insight. This was really scary to us. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Hi There

It seems you are talking of Delta 2514, Sacramento to Salt Lake City, on July 19 (full link: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D.../KSLC/tracklog)

The peak descent rate was -4160 feet per minute, while jetliners typically descend roughly around 2000fpm, your flight was not that unusual and is certainly not a "disaster". Sure, 4000fpm is pretty steep descent, I wouldn't call it a "nosedive". You'll certainly feel 4000fpm with your ears, though.

And since you are new here, there is arguably no airline (or any place, for that matter) in the world safer than Delta (or any other major US Airline). The chances of dying on a major US carrier is pretty much nil. The last time a fatal crash occurred to a major US airline was in 2001. So next time you hit turbulence or encounter one of these "nosedives", just enjoy the ride like I do.

Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by hongmng; 2016-07-30, 00:40.

Comment

Originally posted by hongmng View Post
      And since you are new here, there is arguably no airline (or any place, for that matter) in the world safer than Delta (or any other major US Airline). The chances of dying on a major US carrier is pretty much nil. The last time a fatal crash occurred to a major US airline was in 2001. So next time you hit turbulence or encounter one of these "nosedives", just enjoy the ride like I do.

Welcome to the forum!
      That is extremely wrong...

since 1970, 7 Delta plane crashed involving death of passengers

While Southwest, Air Transat, Allegiant, Frontier had zero...

And on the rest of the world... you can quote British Airways, Qantas, Finnair and many other who have a WAY better safety record than Delta

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
        That is extremely wrong...

since 1970, 7 Delta plane crashed involving death of passengers

While Southwest, Air Transat, Allegiant, Frontier had zero...

And on the rest of the world... you can quote British Airways, Qantas, Finnair and many other who have a WAY better safety record than Delta
        Careful there. Ok, yes, Aerolíeas Argentinas also had zero fatal accident since the 70's.
        But here is the statistics that I like: What would be the fatal accidents RATE if the very next flight was a fatal accident?

I somehow prefer an airline that in the last 45 years has had 20 million flights and 7 fatal accidents over one that in the same period had 20K flights and zero accidents.

Not to mention that US airline safety has improved a lot (a very big lot) since the 70's.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I agree about the stats compared to volume Gabriel, still saying that no airlines in the world are safer than Delta or any major US Airline is just wrong and it's really ignoring that they are airlines out there, outside the US, that have fantastic safe records like BA or Qantas

Comment

Correction, its called a near-total disaster, although all caps, bold and multiple exclamation points may be used.

This sort of thing happens way too often as reckless cowboy pilots routinely ignore important safety procedures that engineers developed using rigorous science.

I applaud your efforts to contact the customer service division to learn more about your incident, and perhaps protect future passengers.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              Correction, its called a near total disaster, although all caps, bold and multiple exclamation points may be used.

This sort of thing happens way too often as reckless cowboy pilots routinely ignore important safety procedures that engineers developed using rigorous science.

I applaud your efforts to contact the customer service division to learn more about your incident, and perhaps protect future passengers.
              Every forum has one...

Comment

Originally posted by Ladylovleylegs View Post
                Hi everyone. I'm a novice consumer needing some insight. I was on a recent flight from sacremento and we experienced a mid air nose dive during our decent. I called delta and politely asked for insight. I was put on hold and was then told it was turbulence. I don't think so!! I noticed that the plane was tilted downward at a sharp angle. We felt like we're were on a roller coaster during the free fall drop. Absolutely terrifying. I emailed them and am awaiting a reply. I tracked our flight and was able to see exactly what we experienced in the form of a bar graph. Please see the attachment. I would appreciate any insight. This was really scary to us. Thanks.
                Changes in vertical and lateral speed can be deceiving and disorienting (even for pilots). This is due to weaknesses in the human vestibular system, which didn't evolve with flight in mind. You almost certainly experienced a drop in altitude and speed but not in pitch, perhaps due to clear air turbulence. The thing to look at on your graph is airspeed. If the plane had gone into a dive, the speed would significantly increase as the altitude decreased. But both are decreasing on the graph. This means the plane is descending due to a speed reduction, not a pitch reduction. Delta seems to be telling you the truth and such events are impossible to prevent.

But the important thing is the quick response of the crew to keep things stabilized. You arrived safe and sound because Delta pilots are very well trained. This discussion about accident rates is nonsense. What matters is safety culture and Delta has a very good one (thus far).

But I love that she put you on hold. She must have called the pilot at home to ask him what happened

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  Every forum has one...
                  Absolutely.

Comment

Hi everyone. I'm a novice consumer needing some insight.
                    Novice consumer of what?

Comment

...But the important thing is the quick response of the crew to keep things stabilized...
                      Somewhat like a recent crew did when their ASI Y2K'd?...hopefully they didn't respond too quickly.
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I´d say the ATC placed some sort of restriction on their descent and that´s why they needed to get lower in the shortest time and distance possible. If you saw your oxygen masks going down, yes it would have been a depressurization issue, otherwise no. Looking at the Area Chart of SLC there is no mountainous terrain or restricted airspace that might reflect the plane leveled 17.000ft for around 7 minutes, so yes I´d say it was a restriction for your descent.

Normally airlines would go to investigate the Flight Data computers and analyze all this information, and see if there was something out of limits, but it looks ok IMHO. You just gotta enjoy the ride on planes

Comment

Thank you

Changes in vertical and lateral speed can be deceiving and disorienting (even for pilots). This is due to weaknesses in the human vestibular system, which didn't evolve with flight in mind. You almost certainly experienced a drop in altitude and speed but not in pitch, perhaps due to clear air turbulence. The thing to look at on your graph is airspeed. If the plane had gone into a dive, the speed would significantly increase as the altitude decreased. But both are decreasing on the graph. This means the plane is descending due to a speed reduction, not a pitch reduction. Delta seems to be telling you the truth and such events are impossible to prevent.

But the important thing is the quick response of the crew to keep things stabilized. You arrived safe and sound because Delta pilots are very well trained. This discussion about accident rates is nonsense. What matters is safety culture and Delta has a very good one (thus far).

But I love that she put you on hold. She must have called the pilot at home to ask him what happened

Thanks for for your sound reply. It's was certainly scary coming from a NOVICE CONSUMER. (Meaning a non-pilot for the individual who needed clarification)

Another thing that was odd was that the Captain dos not appoogize, nor explain what happeded after we got a tour of Lake Tahoe and Area 51. The guy was mum. Whatever...

I'm curious to hear their side of the story.

Comment

Your explanation makes a lot of sense because we were delayed pushing back from the gate. Thank you for this.

Comment

Thanks for for your sound reply. It's was certainly scary coming from a NOVICE CONSUMER. (Meaning a non-pilot for the individual who needed clarification)

Another thing that was odd was that the Captain dos not appoogize, nor explain what happeded after we got a tour of Lake Tahoe and Area 51. The guy was mum. Whatever...

I'm curious to hear their side of the story.
                              I think you should send a PM to LH-B744. I am sure he will be able to explain the whole thing to you with complete clarity.

Comment

Working...
                              X