8 minutes breathing Skydrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 minutes breathing Skydrol

A smoke/mist of heated hydraulic fluid so intense that at times the visibility was only 4 rows.

The flight crew donned O2 sealed masks, the cabin crew donned protective breathing equipment (PBE).
    The passengers? We are fine, thanks!

Fortunately, (although unfortunately for the flight attendant that was wearing it), one of the PBE caught fire, triggering the evacuation.
    8 minutes gentlemen. I would have been long gone off the plane by then. With or without an evacuation being commanded. I can settle the legal issues later.

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    ...8 minutes gentlemen. I would have been long gone off the plane by then. With or without an evacuation being commanded....
    Two questions:

1. With or without your carry-on?

2. What if Brian tried to stop you?

I imagine our resident pilots still prefer shutting down the engines before you (and a whole plane load of folks who don't read aviation safety fora) go rogue on them.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      I imagine our resident pilots still prefer shutting down the engines before you (and a whole plane load of folks who don't read aviation safety fora) go rogue on them.
      I would prefer that too. Now, if they don't. that's not my fault.
      But once off the plane I would do my best to keep people away from the intakes.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        Two questions:

1. With or without your carry-on?

2. What if Brian tried to stop you?

I've never said, as far as I can recall that I would stop someone from getting their carry on. They would be too busy trying to get up while I trample over them.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Had a similar failure on an E-170 at JAX back in the day. Fortunately, it was well forward of the APU, but the fluid went all over the ground. One thing I learned was that Skydrol is only yellowish when it's in the can or just freshly out of the can. Once it's been in the system for a while, it turns both clear and kinda more watery, which makes it that much harder to recognize.

Comment

Working...
          X